Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leaning out after having to gain weight.
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

So in the past six months I have been gaining weight on purpose because I was underweight (59kg for 1,81m), which trashed my testosterone.
I might have to admit to a small eating disorder. There I've put it out there.

Now as you might imagine, the whole process has been a bit of a struggle to find a balance. One time I find myself not eating enough to support training again, start to panic, next I'm pigging out (on healthy stuff, but still.. calories are calories).
In the past six months I put on about 3-4kg's, which might not seem to much, but it was enough to get my T rising again.

However, I realize, if I keep eating a lot I might keep gaining weight, which is not part of the plan. So after the whole acute 'gain weight' part where I just increased the volume of foods I took in, it now is time to find a steady state in terms of weight and caloric intake. With my season really getting underway now, I'm still looking to lean out a bit, but stay at the same weight. (63-64kg for 1,81m).. ergo.. gain more lean muscle mass and shed fat.

I'm sure there's plenty of experienced people here to give me some pointers ;)
Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Leaning out after having to gain weight. [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what your lean mass was pre-weight gain?
And now?
Or body fat %, pre and post weight gain?
I suggest careful eating (eating enough and also enough protein), and strength training.
But to make the most of strength training, you need to keep the volume of aerobic work down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you have your T levels tested or were you going based off of how you were feeling? I think i may have a similar issue but not positive without blood tests
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to gain 2 "good" kilos, I find it a lot easier to gain 4 then lose 2 vs worrying about staying lean as you gain.

That said, being a few kilos heavy is MUCH better than being a few too light. (As I would imagine you found out before deciding to gain the weight).

Best of luck.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bro you are fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spend time focusing on fueling your body. Treat your body right. We ask a lot of it in this sport. Under fueling and under nourishing is not fair to your body and is detrimental to your training.

Find someone that can help you find balance. Your weight doesn't matter. Your happiness and your performance is what matters.

5 lbs lighter but weak as hell vs 5 lbs heavy but strong and durable and able to kick some ass? I know which I'd pick.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
Hi there,

So in the past six months I have been gaining weight on purpose because I was underweight (59kg for 1,81m), which trashed my testosterone.
I might have to admit to a small eating disorder. There I've put it out there.

Now as you might imagine, the whole process has been a bit of a struggle to find a balance. One time I find myself not eating enough to support training again, start to panic, next I'm pigging out (on healthy stuff, but still.. calories are calories).
In the past six months I put on about 3-4kg's, which might not seem to much, but it was enough to get my T rising again.

However, I realize, if I keep eating a lot I might keep gaining weight, which is not part of the plan. So after the whole acute 'gain weight' part where I just increased the volume of foods I took in, it now is time to find a steady state in terms of weight and caloric intake. With my season really getting underway now, I'm still looking to lean out a bit, but stay at the same weight. (63-64kg for 1,81m).. ergo.. gain more lean muscle mass and shed fat.

I'm sure there's plenty of experienced people here to give me some pointers ;)
Thanks in advance!

im struggling a bit like you. being underweight has slowed me down big time. on my runs now i carry fuel incase i feel I am overdoing it. testosterone is made from natural fats, so make sure your fat intake is not too low. should be above 1g fat per 1kg bodyweight per day
Last edited by: synthetic: May 17, 17 19:13
Quote Reply
Re: Leaning out after having to gain weight. [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
did you have your T levels tested or were you going based off of how you were feeling? I think i may have a similar issue but not positive without blood tests

Got my bloodwork tested and worked with an endocrinologist to rule out any other cause of extremely low T. She called it orthorexia.

Anyways, I think I'll try to go the gain a few, lose a few route and focussing on nutriënt timing more. More carbs in the morning, less at night, and protein around training and at night.
I've upped meat intake and started to fuel training again instead of doing a ton of sober runs and 4h rides on just water.

Strength training has been added to my usual core workout. Doing more push-ups, squats, deadlifts, lifting weights, ... but with race season here, I guess i should taper that down a bit. But should my food/protein intake taper down with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
msaad7 wrote:

Got my bloodwork tested and worked with an endocrinologist to rule out any other cause of extremely low T. She called it orthorexia.

Anyways, I think I'll try to go the gain a few, lose a few route and focussing on nutriënt timing more. More carbs in the morning, less at night, and protein around training and at night.
I've upped meat intake and started to fuel training again instead of doing a ton of sober runs and 4h rides on just water.

Strength training has been added to my usual core workout. Doing more push-ups, squats, deadlifts, lifting weights, ... but with race season here, I guess i should taper that down a bit. But should my food/protein intake taper down with it?

well thanks for ignoring my post above. you dont get fat from eating fat alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Leaning out after having to gain weight. [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

well thanks for ignoring my post above. you dont get fat from eating fat alone.

Didn't mean to.. I replied by saying I upped my meat intake and started fueling my trainingsessions more. Thanks for the pointers there ;)
Quote Reply