Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Launching Bottles w/ Gorilla Cages
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to NOT launch bottles in a rear carrier? I am using the Gorilla cages and have lost bottles on 3 of my last 4 rides. Is there a certain angle they need to be at (mine are close to vertical)? I spent the extra $$$ for these cages and am pretty disappointed so far considering everyone I was riding with had cheap cages and I was the only one losing things... something doesn't seem right.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the X-Lab Versa... it works great with the included water bottle (with straw) but not so much with a regular water bottle. I lost that 3x this weekend and was constantly pushing it back in.
Quote Reply
Re: Launching Bottles w/ Gorilla Cages [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of bottles are you using? I think that also plays a role, I know the camelbak bottles are a little thicker, I can barely get my behind-the-seat bottle out while I'm riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The angle of the cages and the type of water bottle matters.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Launching Bottles w/ Gorilla Cages [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using basic water bottles from the local bike shop. I believe the groove goes all the way around and is uniform like X-lab suggests on their site. I have the bottles angled to an almost vertical position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to NOT launch bottles in a rear carrier? I am using the Gorilla cages and have lost bottles on 3 of my last 4 rides. Is there a certain angle they need to be at (mine are close to vertical)? I spent the extra $$$ for these cages and am pretty disappointed so far considering everyone I was riding with had cheap cages and I was the only one losing things... something doesn't seem right.

Also, if anyone has any questions about the X-Lab Versa... it works great with the included water bottle (with straw) but not so much with a regular water bottle. I lost that 3x this weekend and was constantly pushing it back in.
I've had lots of issues with the Gorrila cages. The XT cages have been much better. The camelbak bottles usually don't work well; Specialized bottles are better. It also depends on the stiffness of your wheel and tire pressure - I have more risk of losing a bottle when I'm riding with my training wheels vs my race wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 2 things that seem to work.

1. Put a rubber band around the bottom of the bottle. The little bit of grip stops the slide out but won't stop you from grabbing them
2. Put a zip tie on the bottle cage so that part of the zip tie runs through the inside of the cage. Works kinda like the rubber band by just adding a bit more tension.

I tried different cages and different bottles and none of them seemed to be bullet proof. Finally just started doing the 2nd option I mention above and it's not an issue anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Launching Bottles w/ Gorilla Cages [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
The camelbak bottles usually don't work well; Specialized bottles are better.

FWIW - My experience has been the opposite. I don't launch bottles frequently, but when I have they've been the Specialized bottles - haven't lost a Camelbak one yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rubber bands. Tie one end around some part of your bottle cage or mount. Leave the other end loose to put around the tip of the bottle. It needs to be fairly tight when the band goes over the top of the bottle. With a little practice you can flip the rubber band off the top of the bottle and pull the bottle out without needing to look at it.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have gorilla cages and had the same issue you are facing. I'm now using rubber bands around the bottles to increase friction and since then I didn't lose any bottles. Last 70.3 I lost two spare tubes, CO2, levers and valve that were inside a storage bottle that was ejected like a missile. Never more.
Quote Reply