Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latte machine for the office.
Quote | Reply
Due to a twist of strange events, I'm back in the saddle commuting by e-bike. Looks like 4 -5 days per week.

I have a new site office and was going to equip it with some stuff - ice machine, blender, smoothies. .

Any recommendations on small machines that make good latte's ??

Frodissimo? :)
  • Jan Frodenos personal coffee since 2008

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Oct 26, 17 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Jura.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Gaggias superautomatics but they're not small.

Baby gaggia maybe?
Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Jura
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy has been a favorite of mine. Reasonably priced, takes up no space, and can have a latte, espresso, cap, etc. ready in 2min.

https://www.amazon.com/...ds=delonghi+espresso
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Nespresso with the milk warmer/frother.

Good enough for me. Certainly better than whatever coffee they brew at work.

I've been looking at Jura, but haven't convinced myself I can justify the price.
Last edited by: blueapplepaste: Oct 27, 17 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Price range, manual involvement (automatic, super-automatic, etc.), pickiness of coffee drinker, and available space are really necessary for a proper recommendation.

My new office setup is my old home setup: Gaggia Classic and MDF grinder. Quite small, a bit noisy, pulls a solid and reliable if imperfect shot, quick heatup and changeover from shot to steam.

My new home setup, which would make a great office setup if you want something better, have the money/space, and make more than 1-2 drinks a day: Crossland Coffee CC1.5 with Barratza Vario. If I was doing it over again, I'd change out the Vario for a Vario-W or Sette-W as the Crossland is consistent enough that a .25-.5 gram change in coffee weight matters significantly to shot quality. I could probably learn to get a consistent shot without a scale (by judging grind volume) using it if I stuck to a single bean for a while... but I home roast in 5oz batches, so need the scale for consistency right out of the gate. One office use note on the Crossland: it has a longer warm up time (10-20 minutes), so that may or may not fit your work day needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an older Saeco Talea for about $100 (recent ones are pricier and digital controls, I didn't need all that). Works for me. Took me a few tries to dial it properly for my taste but it works fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Jura's are going for more than I paid for bikes :O

But I love this craigslist ad, asking just over 1000 bills which is a good price - it's the 90
Jura Specialty Coffee Maker

Made in Switzerland
PRICE Tag $2500
Brand New Never used

Recieved as engagement gift
I don't even like coffee
Or know how to even make it!!!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tip on Jura is get them refurbished from Jura or through an authorized dealer. I saved around 50% and still had the warranty.

Also keep in mind that for the "lower end" models (sub $2k) the primary difference is the size of water reservoir/bean hopper and perhaps a few more pre-set drink buttons. Otherwise the quality of the coffee is the same. Think my re-furbished C60 was just under $500. My neighbor spent $1,200 (that was the refurbished price) about a year before me and even he admits there is no distinguishable difference in the taste of the coffee/espresso.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally use the Breville Express and love it. My only complaint is how long it takes to steam milk, I time it out at 70-80 seconds to get the milk warm enough. Outside of that, i have had zero issues. it's around 599 and was a solid investment.
https://www.brevilleusa.com/...?variant=32106416081

However, if you don't care about cups/waste I would recommend you go towards a Nespresso
https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/

Had good experiences with both items.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is one other difference between the lower-end Jura's and the more expensive ones: the heating element. We went through several Saeco and Jura machines looking for an acceptable replacement for my prior Expobar semi-auto machine (made fantastic coffee but was frankly a PITA as a daily coffee machine). All the Saeco machines that we tried, along with the lower-end Jura's all made coffee that was too cold. We tried starting with lukewarm water instead of cold, heating the cups, etc. No luck. We finally tried the Jura J9, and it makes a noticeably hotter cup of coffee. If you're making mostly espresso shots or milk drinks where you're steaming milk then this is far less of an issue, but if you want properly hot coffee you need to pay attention to the size of the heating element.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Oct 27, 17 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The grinder is really important so budget for that as well. I owned a lower end, refurbished Gaggia for a few years and it did a decent job. I bought a refurbished Rancilio Silvia about 5-6 years ago along with a demo Iberital grinder. They are both tanks and have never failed in 5-6 years.They were not cheap, but paid for themselves quickly when you consider the cost of a couple lattes or espressos everyday.
Last edited by: Rocking Rob: Oct 28, 17 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocking Rob wrote:
The grinder is really important so budget for that as well. I owned a lower end, refurbished Gaggia for a few years and it did a decent job. I bought a refurbished Rancillio Silvia about 5-6 years ago along with a demo Iberital grinder. They are both tanks and have never failed in 5-6 years.They were not cheap, but paid for themselves quickly when you consider the cost of a couple lattes or espressos everyday.

Totally agree! When I sold my Expobar machine, I kept the Silvia grinder. That thing is a beast of a little grinder. I still use it when I'm making French press or vacuum pot coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nespresso machine with a frother. Had one for the last 8 or so years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this thread made me consider getting a better grinder. i've looked up several and thought that the cuisinart (burr) DBM-8 or 8AMZ got good enough reviews, was the right size, and would suit my tastes. but i also read that it's a mess when getting the grounds out of the machine.
anyone with experience on this? i use all sorts of different coffee makers so i want all coarse-fine capabilities.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Latte machine for the office. [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
this thread made me consider getting a better grinder. i've looked up several and thought that the cuisinart (burr) DBM-8 or 8AMZ got good enough reviews, was the right size, and would suit my tastes. but i also read that it's a mess when getting the grounds out of the machine.
anyone with experience on this? i use all sorts of different coffee makers so i want all coarse-fine capabilities.
peggy

cuisinarts are junk...had two of them for office use..both broke after about a year.

I should be ashamed of even admitting having bought one of them.
Quote Reply