Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tube failure under heavy braking (alum rim)
Quote | Reply
Twice in the last 2 years I've seen catastrophic failure on a longish descent under heavy braking. Both latex tube failures looked identical. Both had a BB sized hole that looked burned open. As in not a slit or puncture, but rather singed material. Both these flats occured descending a modest climb (Cat 3) under heavy braking. More braking than usual while following slower riders down a hill. Both were instant flats to the rim. Both appeared to occur nearish to the brake track.

I haven't heard much experience with this and wonder if this could be 2 fluke deals. One was a Challenge tube. One a Vredstein tube.

Any thoughts appreciated. thanks.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube failure under heavy braking (alum rim) [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar experience when I first started to ride. I had both tires (latex tubes on aluminum clinchers) pop on a big descent under heavy breaking. The rear popped first and after I stopped the bike the front tire popped. I talked to more experienced cyclists and they recommended to alternate the braking. In other words... use both brakes for a short period of time at the beginning, let off the rear brake and apply a little more to the front in order to keep your speed under control while the rear rim cools, then brake with the rear and let off the front to let it cool.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube failure under heavy braking (alum rim) [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of rim (full carbon, aluminum, hybrid)?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tube failure under heavy braking (alum rim) [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both were hed Jet. Buddy was running 4 and I was on 6 and 9. Both C2 rims.

Just so I know this isn't super common I did descent Pikes Peak quite fast last year, but I have to believe the speed and cool air on the rims keeps things cooler. Even under very heavy and very often braking.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why I asked:

http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/service/faq/mounting-instructions

"Warning notice for using Continenal tyres and tubes on carbon and aluminium clincher "tubeless ready"rims without rim strips
Fully sealed aluminium or carbon rim profiles for road racing bikes are increasingly available on the market. They do not feature drill holes in the rim base. The manufacturers therefore negate the need for a rim strip. The problem here is that the heat generated by braking (rim brakes) penetrates directly through to the tyre system. Carbon as rim material has the disadvantage of a lower heat conductivity. During braking, heat builds up and can unduly increase the thermal load on tubes and tyres. Riding without a rim strip can result in sudden tyre failure during extended braking, e.g. when riding down a mountain pass."

Scott
Quote Reply