Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Laser eye surgery...
Quote | Reply

Bit random, but hear my out....

If you had to pick ONE thing to improve your quality of life, ........ Family and Tri....would you consider laser eye surgery?

The reason I ask....
... I love the sport. Put i often find that by wearing glasses, it 'hinders' enjoying random dips in the sea with my wife and daughter. In addition, Tri related, sighting in the pool and open water is not the best unless i wear contacts.

For those of you who have gone down the laser eye surgery route, how highly do you recommend it from a lifestyle perspective.

And for those who opted not to.....why? (as this is also important)

Very much would like the input, as Im actually considering it.
(Male aged 35 ...if that makes a difference?)
Quote Reply
Re: Laser eye surgery... [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eye correction is definitely near the top of my list. Contacts are great but the thought of waking up every morning and being able to SEE without first putting in my contacts or glasses is pretty invigorating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Lasik done in 2000. Best investment I could have made at the time. I now wear reading glasses, age 60, but still have 20-15 distance vision. Before I had it done I could not read a license plate on a car at 10 feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not wear contacts when swimming. I used to, then got something called Ancanthamoeba kerratits. Can cause blindess. I was lucky recovered fully ,but it was months of excruciating pain.

Laser eye surgery is on my list. I wear prescription goggles and then prescription sunglasses. Problem is prescription goggles are generally crap and decent sunnies are expensive and if you need clear and tint in both it can cost about what laser surgey will. Suniees a re annoying when wearing an aero helmet, so much harder to get on. Plus I then had to change the visor to clear as I had too much tint
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a PRK done in 1997, just when LASIK was becoming available (for about $2k per eye!).

Terrific investment. It was expensive ($1700) but was well worth it. Tremendous quality of life improvement for me, personally, as I had worn glasses for 12 years and contacts for 7 of those 12. Downside is that my eyes are now a little light sensitive but it's an excuse to spend money on sunglasses :-p
Quote Reply
Re: Laser eye surgery... [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the light sensitivity also allow you to have darker than 'legal' tint on your car?? Because that would make it worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it about 12 years ago and it was by far the BEST money I've ever spent. If they came to me today and said we undercharged you by $2k, I'd hand over the money in a heartbeat. I've never been so satisfied, pleased, happy, etc. with spending that kind of money. At nearly 47 I'm getting to the point where I need reading glasses but everything else is still perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am heading for surgery next week. I am really excited about it, mostly for the reasons you mention.

Between kids smashing into my glasses and bending them and the inconvenience of putting in my contacts to swim or so intense bike/run sessions, I figure it is worth it.

I also have a pretty bad astigmatism too, so I have to wait a while for my lenses to settle, which adds to my workout prep time.

Pricing has become very reasonable. Find a reputable office and try and get a referral in. The office provided a 20% discount off of what I already felt was a reasonable price under a friend's and family type discount program.

This office also offers a lifetime guarantee on far-sightedness. As it triggered me to ask about near-sightedness. It was interesting to me tonlearn after age 45 they say most will begin to lose some form of near-sightedness and require reading glasses. They offer monocular vision, but I would rather wear cheaters in 5+ years.

I say go for it. Wish I wouldn't have been so cheap and pulled the trigger sooner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had PRK done In the Army at 32, LASIK wasn’t an option, it’s a life changer and worth it. Was told by the Optometrist that the reshaping doesn’t last as long when you’re older. Get it, nothing to regret, Lasik s a cake walk from what I’ve heard, PRK you’ll what to gouge your eyes out for a week.
Last edited by: mike s: Sep 22, 17 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had corrective surgery about your age, I'm 45 now. This was the best money I ever spent hands down. I just wise I did it sooner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had lasik earlier this year, maybe about 6 months ago. I'm 33, did it for the same reasons you mentioned. It has made pretty much everything easier, and I have no regrets. Vacation with the family - no contacts to worry about, losing glasses, bringing sunglasses (both prescription and non-prescription).

I would mention, I feel like my eyes are more light sensitive now. Just walking out of my office on a bright afternoon without sunglasses is annoying. But it's squinting a bit for 30 seconds and then seems to get better. I also was much more sensitive to headlights and night time driving for about a month. There was a bit of a starburst effect, especially from cars with brighter or HID headlights. I don't have any issues (at least that I notice) now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it done earlier this yr (38). Has been life changing, wish I would have done it years ago. Makes everything easier, especially for active lifestyles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lasik has been the best money I ever spent. I'd do it again if I had to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had Lasic done in 2007, went from coke-bottle glasses/contacts to 20/20. The first couple of days are a bit of an inconvenience, and nothing quite prepares you for the smell of burning ocular tissue during the procedure, but it has been worth every penny, particularly for endurance sports. Absolutely no regrets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it done 6 years ago at age 30. Best thing I ever did. I was never able to do contacts. I tried many times but getting them in and out was nearly impossible. When I did manage to get them in I wanted them gone within seconds. I hated it.

For many years I suffered being able to not see at all doing martial arts. When went skiing, I needed these goofy looking over-the-glasses goggles and those never worked right really. When tri-ing I needed prescription goggles to even find the pool deck, prescription sunglasses, etc. Always a pain. The last straw (well one of them I guess) was a rather goofy embarrassing moment when I was getting out of the water at a race and left my prescription goggles on for the run into transition. I would NEVER find my bike otherwise. Some spectator yelled out "DUDE! You still have your goggles on!"

Yea...

That did it for me. That off-season I went and had LASIK done and I have never looked back. My vision is near-perfect (my right eye has drifted ever so slightly, but not enough to even warrant caring about). Glad I did it. Glad I spent the money. I would do it again in a heart beat. Just not having to deal with eye correction is an amazing freeing experience
Quote Reply
Re: Laser eye surgery... [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had lasik in 2011, I lucked out and got it for free through the military.

Having done it I can say without a doubt it is worth the thousands in cost if I would have to have paid out of pocket.

I never had too many issues with wearing glasses but the convenience and being able to wear sunglasses makes it all worth it.

Procedure was quick and painless and recovery was very quick (back to work the next day).

I would not hesitate to do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone that has had it will tell you how great it is (unless they're one of the few that had complications). Those that haven't will likely say it came down to cost / risk acceptance. Just like any elective surgery, there's risk involved (although very small). You'll have to make the decision on if you can justify the cost and accept the risk.

I've had PRK myself and don't regret it one bit. It's so nice not to have to put on glasses or contacts every morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Laser eye surgery... [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

The light sensitivity is temporary. Maybe a month or two of "halos" around fluorescent lighting. This is due to swelling of the cornea post surgery. As with any surgery, time will make it go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 3 years since my surgery and I tell everyone with glasses to do it NOW.
Best decision I ever made.
So much healthier than sticking plastic on your eyes every day.
It is life changing.

After dirty contacts caused a corneal abrasian I'm pretty sure I picked up an eye infection from the water at a triathlon.
Not pleasant. I booked my surgery 8 months later.
I had the "all-laser" LASIK where the flap is cut with a precise laser.
Healing time was about a week.
My vision stabilised after about 6 months, and it took about 8-10 months before my night vision didn't have any halos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sambadhillon wrote:
If you had to pick ONE thing to improve your quality of life, ........ Family and Tri....would you consider laser eye surgery?

Got this done ~12 years ago and never looked back. I had horrible vision. The surgery only got me to 20/25 but it's stayed there since. It's amazing. I recommend it to anyone who is tired of futzing with glasses and especially contacts.
Last edited by: reefblastbody: Sep 22, 17 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sambadhillon wrote:

In addition, Tri related, sighting in the pool and open water is not the best unless i wear contacts.

Speedo Vanquisher Optical goggles are about $20 a pair, and work. I've been near-sighted for 25 years. Never tried contacts, as it always looked like a pain in the ass to me. I put my glasses on the night stand just before I go to bed, and put them back on my face first thing in the morning. I only take them off to shower, or to swim. The Vanquisher Opticals do the trick. Thought about laser surgery a few times, but decided that wearing glasses wasn't so much of an inconvenience as to be worth the expense.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Sep 22, 17 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRK about 10 years ago. Corneas too thin for the amount of correction needed to be achieved with lasik. Highly recommend getting the correction - Lasik if you can (my wife had that and the recovery and vision restoration was practically immediate. After PRK it took me a few weeks for my vision to become close to as good as it became). At the time, if i had been one of the unfortunate few who needed glasses right after surgery i would have been so disappointed, but now i would get the surgery even if i still needed glasses. may not make that much sense to those who don't have a big prescription - but there is wearing glasses and needing glasses. i currently wear glasses to read - but before i needed glasses to see anything.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello sambadhillon and All,

Never needed glasses.

At age 50 or so added a contact to one eye for improved close vision to read charts in a dark aircraft cockpit.

At age 65 or so distant vision was not 20/20 and had Lasik at Jules Stein Eye Clinic at UCLA with Dr. Brian Boxer-Wachler.

Since then ..... there are several choices for 'no glasses' vision improvement .... among them Lasik, PRK, and inserting a 'helper' lens similar to cataract surgery. The helper lens is the most expensive but has the advantage of a wide range of vision correction .... and can be removed and upgraded if vision changes.

Also Lasik has improved with new equipment so there is not much risk of 'halos' in night vision now.

Some Lasik procedures offer near and far vision correction with the newer equipment.

My wife had cataract surgery and opted for the 'near and far' lens insert that works great ... no glasses needed.

Recently my vision in one eye had become less accurate and I opted for a PRK tuneup on the recommendation of Dr. Boxer-Wachler. He said because of my 'advanced' age and the previous Lasik .... PRK was the better choice.

After the PRK I felt like I had sand in that eye (not terrible ... but annoying) for about 2 months (it is good now) and now I am back to 20/15. As noted in other comments ... after Lasik ... OK the next day and good to go in a week.

I was fortunate and could always read close up ..... and since I spend some time on the computer screen ... no glasses required.

With so many choices it would seem that a good eye exam and the recommendation of your doctor as to which procedure to adopt is the way to go.

Dr. Brian Boxer-Wachler is one of us ... sort of .... he competes in singles sculling.

He has moved his practice to this address now:

http://www.boxerwachler.com/

Most likely if you elect to do a procedure you will want to get it right the first time.

PM me if you have any questions.

Oh .... the ONE thing to improve my quality of life .... FASTER! .......................... (just kidding .... actually the one thing is YOUNGER!)

and I suspect neither is within my grasp .............................................

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Laser eye surgery... [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irezumi wrote:
The first couple of days are a bit of an inconvenience, and nothing quite prepares you for the smell of burning ocular tissue during the procedure, but it has been worth every penny, particularly for endurance sports.
I agree with all this, including the smell part.

Very worthwhile, and has saved money in the long-run in terms of not needing prescription glasses.

For me the only downsides are supposedly the surgery (which was for near-sightedness) made me need reading glasses a few years earlier than I would have otherwise. And also in the past with distance glasses my eyesight was outrageously sharp. Post lasik it's good enough to not need glasses for distance, but not as extremely good.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Laser eye surgery... [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
]I agree with all this, including the smell part.

I forgot about that part. While laying there I recall thinking "gee it smells like something is burning". Then it dawned on me... that's my EYEBALL burning.

Definitely one of those thoughts you would never in your life expect to have to form.
Quote Reply

Prev Next