Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lance Talks to Outside
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

http://www.outsideonline.com/...mp;campaign=04242014

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Last edited by: teekona: Apr 24, 14 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this before or after he changed that flat tire?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [ErikTaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never mind it's clearly after. The valve cover is on the work bench! LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance, seriously ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch his stuff and I read the articles about the Tour years. I think someday, I'd just like the truth. I'm interested in the whole, complete story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Idk why he said he wants to show up in CO fit to ride at 8,000 feet. He's looking fit right now..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. This was also connected - I think it does a nice job summing up a lot of the Lance stuff:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/the-current/inside-outside/Are-We-Ready-for-Lance-Armstrongs-Return.html

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed one misstep at the end when he was talking about the foundation and how much work it was. He said "now I don't have to do that..." then changed it to "I'm not doing that".

I don't think that anyone should be shocked by any of his answers. He clearly feels that the races were fair because all the big guys were doing the same shit.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [cydswipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cydswipe wrote:
I watch his stuff and I read the articles about the Tour years. I think someday, I'd just like the truth. I'm interested in the whole, complete story.

he said (I don't remember where) that it will be another book.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he's paid enough. The ones who should be in jail , if anyone should be, are the people in power who allowed this environment to exist in the first place.
Lance didn't invent this. Ha funny, I just heard him say ' I didn't write the script' as I was writing this.
That's the truth isn't it. The money men wrote the script.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a very good perspective i thought, very well thought out. One of the best overall opinions of Armstrong i have seen.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also thought it was interesting. But Outside reporting on themselves is a little odd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The -7 Redemption Tour 2014 begins.....

And unfortunately, the recent penalties handed down to Johan and the team doctors will add fuel to the fire. How the hell those guys get by with a 10 year ban, but -7 gets a lifetime ban is beyond me. If you truly want to clean up cycling, you need to start going after the team directors and doctors, not just the riders.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [Archy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Archy wrote:
I think he's paid enough. The ones who should be in jail , if anyone should be, are the people in power who allowed this environment to exist in the first place.
Lance didn't invent this. Ha funny, I just heard him say ' I didn't write the script' as I was writing this.

You might say that about the avg Joe rider, but LA ascended the ladder to the point he WAS one of the money men, with an ownership stake in the team as well as several of the equipment sponsors. One could easily make the case that JB worked for Lance (somewhat like how a tennis pro hires/fires his own coach & manager), not the other way around as with the DS/GM on most other teams or a NFL franchise, etc. If you watched the careers of those who came & went from LA's teams, it was very obvious they were all working for him.

He was in a rare position with enough name 'brand' power and financial clout through Livestrong and all that he could have blown the lid off and tried to clean things up, or even just shut up & ride quietly like everyone else who only got 2-yr bans, but instead he doubled down and made a point out of flexing his infuence to further entrench the system and ruin anyone who dared to try exposing the truth. He tries to play the "I was just another guy caught up in it" card when it suits him, but he clearly didn't act like "just another guy" when it didn't suit him, either. That is why he invited the additional scrutiny and made himself a bigger target. Nobody forced him onto that pedestal, and he had to have known the fall would be further from up there.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Archy wrote:

You might say that about the avg Joe rider, but LA ascended the ladder to the point he WAS one of the money men, with an ownership stake in the team as well as several of the equipment sponsors. One could easily make the case that JB worked for Lance (somewhat like how a tennis pro hires/fires his own coach & manager), not the other way around as with the DS/GM on most other teams or a NFL franchise, etc. If you watched the careers of those who came & went from LA's teams, it was very obvious they were all working for him.

He was in a rare position with enough name 'brand' power and financial clout through Livestrong and all that he could have blown the lid off and tried to clean things up, or even just shut up & ride quietly like everyone else who only got 2-yr bans, but instead he doubled down and made a point out of flexing his infuence to further entrench the system and ruin anyone who dared to try exposing the truth. He tries to play the "I was just another guy caught up in it" card when it suits him, but he clearly didn't act like "just another guy" when it didn't suit him, either. That is why he invited the additional scrutiny and made himself a bigger target. Nobody forced him onto that pedestal, and he had to have known the fall would be further from up there.

End of thread.

Very well said.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [cydswipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cydswipe wrote:

The truth is out there and has been out there for a long time.
The question is more around when will people start accepting it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I don't think that anyone should be shocked by any of his answers. He clearly feels that the races were fair because all the big guys were doing the same shit.
That's what he's trying to convince himself, and others. As for UCI complicity, there were drugs that they couldn't detect, and nor could anyone else. Armstrong has had plenty of chances to tell all, and we've only had the odd bit of self-serving innuendo.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you watched the careers of those who came & went from LA's teams, it was very obvious they were all working for him.

And eager to protect their own incomes by turning a blind eye to everything LA may be doing to protect his and their incomes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's new? When Lance was racing a large majority of riders were doping. I'm sure most of the guys in MLB feel the same way about what they have done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
He clearly feels that the races were fair because all the big guys were doing the same shit.

I agree with him. Doesn't excuse anything or mean he shouldn't have been penalized, but I consider him the winner of those races, whatever that's worth (hint: worth nothing).

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think seven in a row is an amazing accomplishment with or without juice. I think the races were fair because the testing was the same for everybody.

I think he should still be commended for his work on Livestrong which has done a lot to help and inform people.

I think a lot of his haters don't like him because he is so brash. That's a common trait for champion athletes. It takes a certain arrogence to be the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [vandave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think all these discussions of were the races "fair" misses the point. It's not really about whether or not all the big guns were doping. It seems pretty clear they were.

In my mind, the rightful and righteous winner of the TdF all those years probably wasn't even in the peloton. It's some guy who might be sitting behind a cubicle because, at some point, he was given the choice to play ball, and take drugs, and maintain the status quo, and he said, "no."

We've probably never heard of the guy who would have won the TdF is cycling had not been a culture of drugs. He may not even ride a bike anymore. Maybe he does, and he's the guy who owns a whole bunch of Strava climbs around his home. Maybe he doesn't, because he's still pissed.

This idea got SOME attention after Ryder Hesjedahl was exposed. Because one of the guys who didn't make the Olympic Team - because Ryder did - said, "what does he owe me? How can you even quantify that?"

But that idea hasn't gotten much play. For a variety of reasons. Mostly because I think we're all really uncomfortable with it. How do you repay someone for stealing a dream? How do you even find that person?

However, I do not think it's just Lance that owes those guys an apology. I just think he might do well to actually acknowledge that - instead of the "everyone was doing it" mentality.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the Rappster here. David Walsh has said himself, how do we know that Christophe Bassons wasn't better than Lance if they were both clean? We can't, because he was never given the chance to prove it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I kept getting distracted by the 1982 phone on the "workbench".

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Lance Talks to Outside [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can define and consider 'fair' in a number of ways. I don't disagree with your response based on the definition of fair that you are using and live by.

Another way to look at fair is what you can get away with. A lot of people don't like those rules, but that's how reality views fair. Apparantly, that's how pretty much every rider in the peloton viewed fair as well.

We all make choices within the context of what we conside to be fair. If that theoretical guy viewed fair your way, then he made that bed and he gets to live with those consequences. Fair mattered more to him than winning.

I try not to judge things one way or the other and I try to just see reality as it is.

In the whole scheme of life, taking dope in a bike race is a pretty minor infraction. I think Bill Burr said it best on Conan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next