Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lancaster PA Triathletes...
Quote | Reply
I am traveling through for a few days. Is there a masters swim team or pool I can pay to swim in? Any good places I should run through? good loops?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Lancaster PA Triathletes... [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F&M College (Franklin & Marshall) in Lancaster city has a Masters program M, W, F from 6 - 7:15 am. Right now the pool is set up LCM :)
Quote Reply
Re: Lancaster PA Triathletes... [melbo55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great. So you know if someone can drop in? Any contact info?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you. emailed suggested person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a free one week guest pass that can be used at any Lancaster YMCA if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unrelated to the OP and don't mean to mess up the thread, but...

Anyone doing the HARC Tri For Life on April 19th? I'm from just outside of Philly on the opposite side of Lancaster so it'll be about an hour and a half - 1:45 drive up there for me. This will be my first, doing it as a test race just to see exactly where I'm at in training. I'm asking because I know it's in the Lancaster area.

If so, previous racer? Any thoughts on the race and if it's well run? I know it's a pool swim which I'm not too fond of. It'll be my first tri not in open water. Was curious how well the passing goes in the pool, although I'll hopefully be seeded towards the front as I put in for a 3:30 estimated swim time. Probably should've put in for 4:00 though. Haven't swam since the season ended about a month ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Lancaster PA Triathletes... [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be in the front of the swim line up with a 3:30 even though the swim times were long last year (they were not taken until you had excited the pool area). Course was well marked and it's mostly on country roads so very difficult to make a wrong turn. Very small race but a solid opener feel free to ask me more questions.

"What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe... The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Ben Delia, Head Swim Coach, and Masters Coach at Franklin and Marshall:
  • Drop-in fee is $5 per workout.
  • Visitors aren’t required to bring a USMS card, but will have to sign the University’s waiver form before practice.
  • Contact bdeliaATfandmDOTedu
  • There is plenty of parking on both the west and east sides of the building. Main entrance is facing the road — Harrisburg Avenue
  • Triathletes are always welcome!

Coach Ben is a triathlete rehabbing from a recent broken arm.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:

Anyone doing the HARC Tri For Life on April 19th? I'm from just outside of Philly on the opposite side of Lancaster so it'll be about an hour and a half - 1:45 drive up there for me. This will be my first, doing it as a test race just to see exactly where I'm at in training. I'm asking because I know it's in the Lancaster area.

If so, previous racer? Any thoughts on the race and if it's well run? I know it's a pool swim which I'm not too fond of. It'll be my first tri not in open water. Was curious how well the passing goes in the pool, although I'll hopefully be seeded towards the front as I put in for a 3:30 estimated swim time. Probably should've put in for 4:00 though. Haven't swam since the season ended about a month ago.

I've done this race the last 7 years. It's organized by the Hempfield Triathlon Club. They do an excellent job with it. For a small (+/- 150 participants) local race, it usually has a fairly competitive field. Andrew Yoder used to win it pretty much every year, and leave everyone else fighting over second place. ;-)

Like the other guy said, your 3:30 time is fast enough to seed you in the first couple people, so you won't need to worry about passing. I'm normally seeded around 25th-30th if I give them a seed time of 4:45-4:50, and I rarely pass anybody, or have anyone pass me. Most of the people toward the front seem to have a good handle on their abilities and pacing. Even so, I suggest talking to the 2-3 people in front and behind you in line before the start and agreeing that if you catch the person in front of you, you'll tap their feet, and they'll either pick up the pace, or pull up at the next wall so you don't need to pass 3 wide in the middle of the lane.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:

After a little thought, I'm curious about the bold. There's a big difference between a 3:30 and 4:00. Plus, I'm assuming that you saw it's one of those oddball 25 meter pools, so times are for 300m, not 300yds?
Most people fast enough to swim that under 4:00 know how long it takes them plus or minus a couple seconds. How did you arrive at the time you gave them when you registered?

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Lancaster PA Triathletes... [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMyBest wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:

After a little thought, I'm curious about the bold. There's a big difference between a 3:30 and 4:00. Plus, I'm assuming that you saw it's one of those oddball 25 meter pools, so times are for 300m, not 300yds?
Most people fast enough to swim that under 4:00 know how long it takes them plus or minus a couple seconds. How did you arrive at the time you gave them when you registered?

When I originally registered in the middle of March, I was towards the end of swim season so in great swimming shape. I had planned on keeping up that fitness by continuing to swim on my own through this race, but after swim season I reconsidered it and thought I'd be better off focusing solely on bike-run.

In that shape, I could've gone 3:30 in meters no problem, but am now thinking I'll be going more 4:00 time since I haven't swam since March 12th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm usually seeded in the top three and have one of the top two or three swims. I think I put in 4:19. I live a half mile from there and race it every year. Good way to start the season. They do a pretty good job.
Quote Reply
Re: Lancaster PA Triathletes... [sixironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixironman wrote:
I'm usually seeded in the top three and have one of the top two or three swims. I think I put in 4:19. I live a half mile from there and race it every year. Good way to start the season. They do a pretty good job.

Do you think I should email the RD and tell him I think I'd be better as a 4:00 seed time? I don't want to be unfair to anyone if I'm seeded a 3:30 and only end up going around 4:00.

Also, how does the timing work? Is there a timing pad right at the edge of the pool that picks up your chip as you cross it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't matter if you change it. Either time will have you in the front. Unless someone that has no swim background at all puts 3 minutes which has happened before. I have caught people in the first 25 before. There is no timing mat. One person starts every ten seconds and your time is adjusted from that. You can tell when a person started from their number.
Quote Reply
Re: Lancaster PA Triathletes... [sixironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see ya got into the top 5, nice race! You flew by me on the bike and looked to be moving well when I saw you heading out of T2.

I learned my lesson for using a really shitty trainer tire during a race. I had no problems in two hour and a half outdoor rides but today I got a flat about 3 miles in. Had to get picked up by a volunteer truck. Not sure why as I didn't cross the timing pad when I handed my chip in but my bike time was listed as completed at 47:xx. Probably just the time when they deactivated it.

Sucks because I had a solid swim (4:06 official time with passing two people close to the walls) and felt great the first couple miles of the bike. I guess it just happens though. My first ever DNF in twelve races.
Last edited by: C_Hassard: Apr 19, 15 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget Lancaster Brewing Company while you are there. They are fairly mature as they have been around 20 years.

https://www.lancasterbrewing.com

I've had their beer back in the early 2000s while visiting from Chicago, but never dined there. The restaurant is locavore which generally makes for some good eats. Their braised beef shortrib looks very tasty.
https://www.lancasterbrewing.com/...lancaster-dinner.pdf

As for your original topic I'm sorry I can't help you.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply