Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lame valve extender question (solved)
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a used set of Zipp 808's off eBay. They came with the Zipp valve extenders (the ones that you can't remove the valve core from the stem and put it in the extender). Everything went together well and worked fine for a few weeks but apparently on the last ride the nut on the top of the valve stem screwed itself shut and now I can't put any more air in the tire (or let air out). The tire is still nearly fully inflated. The only way I can think of to fix this is to remove the tire and tube (and then replace the extenders with ones where you can move the valve core into the extender). But I can't do this while the tire is inflated... so, what to do? Would you: a) wait a few weeks for the tire to lose enough air so that you can finally remove the tire, b) puncture the tire/tube with a pin and then patch or replace the tube, or c) some other clever solution that escapes me?
Last edited by: el gato: Jan 28, 18 22:07
Quote Reply
Re: Lame valve extender question [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unscrew the extender and you might be able to use something long and thin to open the valve and let the air out if it's not screwed down too tightly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're going to continue to use this type of extender, consider using a drop of glue to keep valve screw from vibrating shut.
Quote Reply
Re: Lame valve extender question [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'd been messing with it for a while earlier trying to get the valve open to no avail, but your post motivated me to give it another try and I finally got it open and deflated the tire. These lame valve extenders are going in the trash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it worked! Kinda figured it was a long shot but it was all I could think of. Those valve extenders are a pain for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I recently bought a used set of Zipp 808's off eBay. They came with the Zipp valve extenders (the ones that you can't remove the valve core from the stem and put it in the extender). Everything went together well and worked fine for a few weeks but apparently on the last ride the nut on the top of the valve stem screwed itself shut and now I can't put any more air in the tire (or let air out). The tire is still nearly fully inflated. The only way I can think of to fix this is to remove the tire and tube (and then replace the extenders with ones where you can move the valve core into the extender). But I can't do this while the tire is inflated... so, what to do? Would you: a) wait a few weeks for the tire to lose enough air so that you can finally remove the tire, b) puncture the tire/tube with a pin and then patch or replace the tube, or c) some other clever solution that escapes me?

My vote is safety pin and patch.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same happen with my Flos and the Silca extenders they send. Jut took the extender off, and reattached. When I replace i’ll Be using latex tubes and continental extenders with the core removed and added to the extenders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Thanks. I'd been messing with it for a while earlier trying to get the valve open to no avail, but your post motivated me to give it another try and I finally got it open and deflated the tire. These lame valve extenders are going in the trash.
They're not lame, you just need to learn to use them properly. You're supposed to take the extender off, turn it around, and use the other end to unscrew the valve nut. It's designed to grab onto the valve screw.
Quote Reply