Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lake Placid not sold out yet?
Quote | Reply
I signed up for Lake Placid in a panic...... I was surprised I could even get in online. Was wondering if they upped the number allowed for event ?

Also, noticed the tiered pricing that Ironman is using now...... Tired of folks waiting to sign up I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these m-dot races are a complete joke. $800 to do a race with no pros? it used to be 1/2 that price with full male and female pro fields. i hope you enjoy getting ripped off and padding the pockets of PE guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot more events to choose from on the east coast now, like Tremblant, Maryland, etc. Lake Placid used to be the only IM driveable for people from the northeast so demand was high.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
these m-dot races are a complete joke. $800 to do a race with no pros? it used to be 1/2 that price with full male and female pro fields. i hope you enjoy getting ripped off and padding the pockets of PE guys.

I hate to break it to you, but you are probably padding the pocket of PE guys with 80% of the purchases you make.

Quote | Reply
so the question is, will it be days...or weeks, to sellout?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [MarkyMark80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not but nice try at trying to rationalize getting ripped off by WTC. remind me again how PE makes money when i buy a home from a private seller, a car from a public company, a tv from a public company. i will remind you that IMLP used to cost less than 1/2 of what it does now and had full pro fields, a mass swim start and better support on the bike and run. you sound like you are WTC's ideal consumer who enjoys getting ripped off.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I have 2 friends who are thinking of pulling the trigger. I told them to hurry up because I have never heard of it being open this long. This being one of the older races , I wanted to give it a shot.

As far as cost etc......lol. Its my money I will spend it how I please. I agree its pricey but factor in inflation and it isn't quite as obscene.

If you just stashed 1000.00 in the mattress, you have lost about 30-40% in the last 5-10 years. Do you still spend the same amount at the grocery store as you did 10+ years ago?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:

Yeah... that pro field really drives the market.

Pros register somewhere around zero to 1 out of 10 on the Who Gives a Fuck meter when it comes to anyone's choice of picking an event to race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
i'm not but nice try at trying to rationalize getting ripped off by WTC. remind me again how PE makes money when i buy a home from a private seller, a car from a public company, a tv from a public company. i will remind you that IMLP used to cost less than 1/2 of what it does now and had full pro fields, a mass swim start and better support on the bike and run. you sound like you are WTC's ideal consumer who enjoys getting ripped off.

I guess that would be me. Rip me off, WTC, please! I guess I have been under the delusion that the market price for a good or service is the level that clears supply and demand. If you like paying $450 for an indie instead of $750 for an Ironman then by all means have at it. But the market believes, and has demonstrated repeatedly, that WTC provides value that many independents do not. And I have certainly experienced that first hand. It kind of goes along with the saying that you get what you pay for. When WTC quits providing that value, or when the supply is too great relative to those who wish to participate, then and only then, will entry prices level off or actually decrease.

As to the pro's or lack of pro's at an IM. As if that has anything to do with the value of a race!! I guess you missed all those threads on ST where a large number of people consider the pro value proposition to equal $0.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
mag900 wrote:

Yeah... that pro field really drives the market.

Pros register somewhere around zero to 1 out of 10 on the Who Gives a Fuck meter when it comes to anyone's choice of picking an event to race.

The people here on slowtwitch care more about the pros than the general population of triathlon participants. Even though the pro races are something I am interested in, even that doesn't drive my choice of what race to do. More important things are time of year, location and price.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you clearly are the target consumer for WTC -- they turn what used to be a great race into an awful race and still will have people like yourself lined up (although, based on sign-ups this year, not really anymore) to overpay for it. there is a big chunk of lemmings like yourself who has no idea how many corners have been cut and how much worse the support is as compared to when it was privately owned and run (in addition now to having far too many people on the starting line). i guess i was being a bit presumptuous in thinking that you actually cared if pros were in the race. however, even though you don't care if pros are in the race, the fact that the pro budget has been eliminated and the price for you has gone up should give you some idea how much you are getting ripped off.

the fact that you think WTC provides "value" is about all i need to know about how out to lunch you are. where are you planning on getting the m-dot tat?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I want to do Lake Placid eventually because that is the race that got me interested in triathlon to begin with and the Adirondacks are perhaps my favorite place anywhere so doing a major race here just makes sense. Whether there are any pros there or not really doesn't matter to me. HOWEVER, for being a spectator at a race I would much rather see some pros. It was much more interested to follow the race when Andy Potts decided to run it. This year, I looked it up and was like...eh...
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, is it just female pro field next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
you clearly are the target consumer for WTC -- they turn what used to be a great race into an awful race and still will have people like yourself lined up (although, based on sign-ups this year, not really anymore) to overpay for it. there is a big chunk of lemmings like yourself who has no idea how many corners have been cut and how much worse the support is as compared to when it was privately owned and run (in addition now to having far too many people on the starting line). i guess i was being a bit presumptuous in thinking that you actually cared if pros were in the race. however, even though you don't care if pros are in the race, the fact that the pro budget has been eliminated and the price for you has gone up should give you some idea how much you are getting ripped off.

the fact that you think WTC provides "value" is about all i need to know about how out to lunch you are. where are you planning on getting the m-dot tat?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not just Placid. Go to the IM website and lots of the races that used to sell out in seconds are still open--Germany, Melbourne, Australia. In fact, I think about the only race sold out for 2016 at this point is Austria and even that was open for a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course I'm aware of WTC cutting corners to pay back their recap. But apart from Challenge Roth where is that fantastic, incredibly well organized iron distance race with a modicum of competition. Please do not mention HITS.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Not just Placid. Go to the IM website and lots of the races that used to sell out in seconds are still open--Germany, Melbourne, Australia.....

Let's all face it. IM is dead or dying. I give it 3 more years before all anyone does is shakeweight in their basements. ;-)

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. I thought shakeweights were so 2010. Now its all about color runs. I did see an article recently that said outdoor equipment companies are having to adjust to the new generation that does not see the need to "go for the summit" but camps out at Cochella. I doubt IM is in trouble, but I do think that once the babyboomers and late Gen Xers retire, the fields are going to be smaller...and a lot slower on average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're so delusional about this it's funny but I will agree that changing the swim start from mass to rolling (I'm assuming it's rolling) is shit.

But thinking the pros matter is just plain dumb. Ironman Wisconsin got rid of the pros this year and I could. not. be. happier!

But again, if they got rid of the mass start, I would be really pissed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i never said that pros "matter" to the masses. however, the race used to have a budget for pros that had to have been around $100K and now that is gone so theoretically that's $100K that either could be put back into the race or used to reduce entries fees. neither has happened when in fact that opposite has happened -- less is spent on supporting the race and fees have gone up.

the TT swim is a joke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did IMLP the 1st 10 years and then the last two.

There has been much improvement in the race experience...starting with packet pick up...the transition area is better organized....and the support on the race course
has been good...... this year I also "took advantage" of the medical tent and received top notch care to get me back on my feet......."awful race" is a stretch?

My wife and I love the ADK's, we come a few days early and stay afterwards for a few days. In the grand scheme of things the race entry fee is a part of a great vacation.

Sorry, but a pro field has never been a determining factor in any race I've competed in.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [Bigringonly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's obviously not selling out because of the issue pointed out in the LP DQ thread...

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the race 7 times since 2003. The event overall has remained fairly constant. Frankly, I prefer the rolling swim start to a mass swim start. I haven't noticed that it changes things at all for the remainder of the race except to avoid a pummeling. Yeah, the medals are kinda generic now and the finishing t-shirts a plastic thing that no one ever wears other than the day following ironman. Having a pro aspect to the race is interesting for a couple of minutes but is really the last thing on my mind during the event. There are a lot more IMs now due to the demand. There was a lot of mental stress about trying to enter a race that would sell out in minutes. It's nice to be able to have more options now. I suspect that Tremblant is drawing a lot of IMLP racers. I'd try Tremblant if I lived in the northeast and didn't have family in LP. In terms of entry fee, meh, everything goes up. We just returned from Paris and our favorite hotel that we have been staying at since the early 2000s where it use to be about $150 a night and this summer was $400 per night. I did a half last year out here in California and I paid something like $350 and the support was minimal at best - a few tables set up with some gels and water. The swag bag was an envelope of coupons. So, I think I'm still getting a decent value overall with IM for something I only do once a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it didn't sell out immediately last year either. Prob cause of the bad weather in 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Placid not sold out yet? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's last year's thread. Titled: "Surprised to find Lake Placid 2015 still had spots at 1:15 EST"
Quote Reply

Prev Next