Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear Trails
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in Lake Arrowhead and I'm looking for some trails to run while I'm there. Are there any trails in that area that do not have a lot of elevation gain and stay somewhat flat? I'm going to be hiking but also wanted to do some quicker runs on non technical trails if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear Trails [xrookiex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most everything up there will be fairly hilly. There are a few ways to access the trail network (but you'll have a good amount of elevation gain).

One option is to go in on 2N75 (near junction of yosemite dr. and manitoba dr.) and take that down aways. Turn left onto the first trail, around a big log. You'll start to descend a bit, but that might be the flatest option. Continuing straight on the dirt road will put you and a big descent, few hundred feet.

Another option is to go down to the pinnacles staging area off the 173. You can take the dirt road around on the right. It will lose elevation, but it isn't as steep.

A third option is to take hook creek road until it ends. When it turns into dirt it will tee off. Left will be more flat and right will be more hilly, but crosses over an almost dried up creek.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear Trails [Crispy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crispy wrote:
Most everything up there will be fairly hilly. There are a few ways to access the trail network (but you'll have a good amount of elevation gain).

One option is to go in on 2N75 (near junction of yosemite dr. and manitoba dr.) and take that down aways. Turn left onto the first trail, around a big log. You'll start to descend a bit, but that might be the flatest option. Continuing straight on the dirt road will put you and a big descent, few hundred feet.

Another option is to go down to the pinnacles staging area off the 173. You can take the dirt road around on the right. It will lose elevation, but it isn't as steep.

A third option is to take hook creek road until it ends. When it turns into dirt it will tee off. Left will be more flat and right will be more hilly, but crosses over an almost dried up creek.

This is perfect. I really appreciate the response, it will put to good use!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some relatively flat trails in the Baldwin Lake, Erwin Lake areas east of Big Bear City. If you are lucky you may see members of the Big Bear Track Club doing their easy day workouts in that area. There are a lot more running and mountain biking trails in the Big Bear area than there are in Lake Arrowhead and the altitude is higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. If you let me know when you're in town, maybe I can join you (my in-laws live up there). The area is designed for OHV use, but the trails can be navigated pretty well on mountain bikes if that's your thing.
Quote Reply