Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LED safety vests for cycling
Quote | Reply
Hello, it's that time of year for us to go from the trainer to the outside roads. We are looking for a recommendation on a safety vest (or something similar) that has bright **flashing** lights on the back so cars see us on the roads. It's very dangerous where we live for cycling (cyclists are killed every year) Most drivers are not overly considerate or attentive. Anyone have something they love that is super bright and loud out there?

We do use a flashing red light on the back of our tri bikes but I just don't feel it's enough. Any other creative suggestions are welcome to make sure cars don't miss us. Something bright so when a person is texting or doing stuff on their phone, they still might notice the bright flashing lights. Luckily after July 23rd it's back to gravel bike rides which are so much safer!

Thanks!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: LED safety vests for cycling [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Varia! Forget the vest. I bought the Varia and have ridden a fair amount outside. It is really helpful to know when a car is approaching from behind, and how many of them. A friend who was following me the other day on a gray day said it was really bright to him following. The best part is that the Varia is on sale right now at TriSports.
Quote Reply
Re: LED safety vests for cycling [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Garmin Varia! Forget the vest. I bought the Varia and have ridden a fair amount outside. It is really helpful to know when a car is approaching from behind, and how many of them. A friend who was following me the other day on a gray day said it was really bright to him following. The best part is that the Varia is on sale right now at TriSports.

Thanks, we rode with someone who has the Varia and it's really neat. I think we'll probably get one each. But I still don't think the back light is enough. I really want something for my back that is crazy bright/flashing and obnoxious that a motor vehicle can't miss. Maybe this doesn't exist yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously thinking of ordering this:

http://www.swps.com/92224.html

Pretty bad where we live. I don't think anyone driving could miss this! :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the Noxgear Tracer 360. It's incredibly bright and visible from all directions.

https://www.noxgear.com/

That with good headlight and tail light will provide great visibility.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: LED safety vests for cycling [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:
Buy the Noxgear Tracer 360. It's incredibly bright and visible from all directions.

BrokenSpoke

Thanks! I've seen this advertised on facebook. Does it flash?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really don't need a light on your back on a vest. Any $5 construction worker vest will work for visibility from the rear. If you have a good light on the bike, cars from behind should be able to see you during the day and can light up any reflectors at night

Where you need increased visibility is from the front and sides. A car pulling out from a side road won't illuminate your reflective vest/clothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a cycling group in my area that rides at 5am when I'm running. These are very visible. I've been wondering what they were but understandably haven't been able to catch up to them to ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Varia. That said, a buddy has a light that goes on his helmet, which is the way I would go. The vests are less visible if you are riding aero, and sometimes if it gets hot, they hold heat. Trek's light is really incredibly strong and they have done a ton of research on visibility, even advocating day time lights front and rear. They also have some bight yellow clothing that would not be as hot.
Quote Reply
Re: LED safety vests for cycling [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really doubt that a brighter light or reflector in the back will do much. If you are hit from behind, the driver either sees you and is trying to pass too close, or nothing you do will make them notice you.
Quote Reply
Re: LED safety vests for cycling [sburke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sburke wrote:
I really doubt that a brighter light or reflector in the back will do much. If you are hit from behind, the driver either sees you and is trying to pass too close, or nothing you do will make them notice you.

Thus my love for the Varia. Be proactive.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brokenspoke wrote:

BrokenSpoke

+1 for this. Been using this on my night rides since it came out. Works very well and has multiple modes. You can have it just stay solid red or flash a whole buncha colors at different speeds like a light show if you really need to be seen. I usually just put it on under the jersey and it shines right through. There is no way in hell anybody can say they didn't see it, it is so damn bright and in your face.
Quote Reply
Re: LED safety vests for cycling [Masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masa757 wrote:
brokenspoke wrote:

BrokenSpoke

+1 for this. Been using this on my night rides since it came out. Works very well and has multiple modes. You can have it just stay solid red or flash a whole buncha colors at different speeds like a light show if you really need to be seen. I usually just put it on under the jersey and it shines right through. There is no way in hell anybody can say they didn't see it, it is so damn bright and in your face.

+2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.roadid.com/...ault.aspx?styleid=12
Get like 3 of these and clip them to your jersey pocket. Maybe one on the back of your helmet, too. We also use these clipped to our goggle straps when we swim pre-dawn in the ocean.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
I really want something for my back that is crazy bright/flashing and obnoxious that a motor vehicle can't miss. Maybe this doesn't exist yet.

These bad boys are bright and obnoxious.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GR7DABG

I have two on my seat post set to blink, and two on my handlebars set on high. I use these when I ride in the dark and they work great. They also clip off very easily, so I attach all 4 to my running belt when I run in the dark.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Apr 25, 17 8:43
Quote Reply