Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LEADVILLE Roll Call
Quote | Reply
Leadville seems to attract many IM types. Are you one of them this year?

It is a bummer that I will not be racing my 5th LV this year due to a back issue. The upside is that I will still be there for those who need help. In the past years, my experience only helped one rider: ME. This year, I want to help 24 riders on race day, and many more leading up

With the race being within 3 weeks, it is not too late to make gains for your 2015 LV result.
Each year I have raced there, I see too many people leaving Leadville with their head hanging low. The common denominator is that they did not get their feeds correctly. Oddly enough, some of these people forget their mistakes from previous years and end up doing it again.

I am brining a team to Leadville to ensure my people are fed correctly. Between road and MTB, there is only one person who has batted 1000 in being in the right place, with an efficient hand off, my wife, She will have a team at the base of Powerline and I will have a team at the base of Columbine.

Now that you have done the training and learned to ride the MTB, let me know if we can help in with last minute prep and race day feeds. It may be your best investment for this race. Again, Leadville is a bit different than anything you have done before. If this is your first Leadville, get it right the first time. If you have been here before, no more trying to reinvent the wheel. Be one of the minority riders who feel like they are racing the last 2 hours. If you do, you will have had a good day.

We will pre ride St. Kevins, Sugarloaf and down Powerline the day prior to the race. If you are not a bit nervous, start to do so.....it will make you analyze what is in front of you 2 weeks from this Saturday.

Let's use that high IQ of yours to make it a memorable day!

Email is pt.gofast@gmail.com

PT

PS. I did my first Leadville at 42 years old, with a 7he 11min. I was 17th last year at 46 in 7:13. My MTB skills had nothing to do with it, as there are none. Rather a methodical approach to a race with lots of moving parts.
Last edited by: paulthomas: Jul 28, 15 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: LEADVILLE Roll Call [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome stuff. I deferred to next year, but I'm going to bookmark this, and your contact info, for next year, hoping I can grab some good IQ from you.

Very nice, very generous gesture. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, looking forward to it. Since getting in through the lottery I have pretty much thrown out tri training this year... Did a sprint in May but haven't swam since. the good news is I have been riding A LOT (for me) with an average of 900 mi/ month for the last 4 months. The biggest unknown for me will be the altitude; I rode up to 6500 ft ASL in training but 12500 is an entirely different animal.

As far as race strategy goes, I plan to ride an even effort as much as possible and eat every 40 min. If walking a steep portion keeps my HR in check, then walking it is. I'll be starting at the back but with any luck I should pass many hundreds of people on course.
Quote Reply
Re: LEADVILLE Roll Call [wbattaile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there!

I raced at Wilmington Whiteface and despite many bike issues managed to get a slot. Now that my race bike has been repaired under warranty I am hopeful I will do a bit better at Leadville.

Wilmington seemed to be just a bit short on aid stations for optimal feeding. I'm going to start analyzing the placement of aid stations at Leadville to make sure my strategy is a bit better. Any tips are appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: LEADVILLE Roll Call [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aid stations will definitely be less frequent than what I am accustomed to with triathlon. I am estimating about 2 hours to the first aid station at Pipeline (planning to skip the express aid station outbound.) The 10 miles up columbine will also be a pretty long slog and important not to get behind on nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently drove through Leadville on my way from Aspen to Boulder. I have tons of respect for you guys and hope to do that race some day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are coming from Texas with a couple of racers and will be providing support for them. Where in your experience would be the best place for us to be to be able to provide our riders with their nutritional support. I know that some of the feedzones will be a zoo with people and I don't want them riding through and not being able to locate us. Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: LEADVILLE Roll Call [marty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marty wrote:
We are coming from Texas with a couple of racers and will be providing support for them. Where in your experience would be the best place for us to be to be able to provide our riders with their nutritional support. I know that some of the feedzones will be a zoo with people and I don't want them riding through and not being able to locate us. Thank you in advance.

While I have never been, I ride with a guy that has experience in Leadville. He cautioned against too many support locations, for two reasons:
1. You will have a hard time getting to the agreed upon spot due to traffic, and
2. Supporting multiple riders that may be on different paces exacerbates the problem.

We have a support crew with us, but I am traveling with two other riders. I plan to have fully stocked drop bags just in case I miss our support.
Quote Reply
Re: LEADVILLE Roll Call [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I don't know the course and won't have a chance to pre-ride, I made the simple graph below. I'm thinking about printing it out and taping it to my top tube. Anything else I should add (other than pacing?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there trying Leadville for the first time. Leaving Boulder today and heading up to the high country to aclimitize and check out the course.
I am really looking forward to the challange. I don't know if I can do this and that makes it very exciting. My only goal is to finish. Am I nervous? Let's just say that if I sat on a lump of coal by race day it would be a diamond.
Go Team Awesome Sauce!

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: LEADVILLE Roll Call [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can finish the race: no problem. The only thing that will hold you back is nutrition, going out too hard, mechanical or crash. If you use your brain, you will be just fine!

We are bringing 4 feed zones with us from Tucson. Let me know if you need a tutorial and feeds!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will not be able to focus on your top tube. Just know that there are 6 major climbs..... and the approx time you will be approaching the first one, then time between the rest.....
Last edited by: paulthomas: Aug 4, 15 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as corny as this may sound, watch this video to get familiar with the different segments of the course.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCrsdQLv04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safe travels to all; see you and 2000 of our closest friends on Saturday morning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love suggestions for places to camp and cheer for the run. I have a few friends running that we'd like to cheer for.
Quote Reply