Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane
Quote | Reply
Didn't see this posted.

Quote:
Milton Olin, Jr. was fatally struck by a Los Angeles county sheriff's patrol car on Sunday as he rode in the bike lane

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...r.html#ixzz2mzs469Zj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...iffs-patrol-car.html
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad news.

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What an F@ckin A$$hole.... I hope this cop gets prosecuted. The fact remains the police officier killed this man with a deadly weapon and the man was not armed and just riding his bike in the bike lane. The cop was probably following too close behind him or not paying attention, either way he killed a man that he was PAID to PROTECT.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Very sad indeed and surprisingly in the middle of day. They have to subpoena those phone recs.

And the on board dash cam as well as on board computer usage.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awful. An area I ride by often, and an area frequented by cyclists. There's not much info yet on what happened, but I pray they don't give the cop a pass on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curious why it takes the daily mail to let us know this and not a US based news

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:

It's being covered in the LA Times, and all of the local networks have stories on it as well, with additional details beyond the Daily Mail piece.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
What an F@ckin A$$hole.... I hope this cop gets prosecuted. The fact remains the police officier killed this man with a deadly weapon and the man was not armed and just riding his bike in the bike lane. The cop was probably following too close behind him or not paying attention, either way he killed a man that he was PAID to PROTECT.

Dude seriously? I hope no one ever breaks into your house and you have to call one of those "A$$holes."
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [prana800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prana800 wrote:
trihard4me wrote:

Dude seriously? I hope no one ever breaks into your house and you have to call one of those "A$$holes."

I understand the OP's frustration. Maybe there is more to the story that we do not yet know. How in the world does this cop hit a cyclist in the middle of the day in the bike lane? Makes no sense but does make you angry. Doesn't matter if he is a cop or a priest or whatever. Too may cyclists are killed by cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prana800 wrote:
trihard4me wrote:

Yes, because cursing at this particular policeman who killed someone apparently for no reason is equivalent to criticizing all policeman. Yes indeed it is. Or at least this cop hopes that the attitude the public and any potential jury take.

Can't call a cop out for something terrible since that's attacking all the men and women in blue. Yessiree.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
prana800 wrote:
trihard4me wrote:

Yes, because cursing at this particular policeman who killed someone apparently for no reason is equivalent to criticizing all policeman. Yes indeed it is. Or at least this cop hopes that the attitude the public and any potential jury take.

Can't call a cop out for something terrible since that's attacking all the men and women in blue. Yessiree.

It is the way he called him out. If he did something negligent that caused the death, then the officer is in the wrong and he should receive disciplinary action, whether it be through the court system or through the LASO or both. They do call them accidents for a reason however, and if that was the case, then it was a tragic one. Calling him a F@ckin A$$hole, kind of over the top. Statements such as "The cop was probably following too close..." and "not paying attention" are simply innuendoes with no justifiable factual basis. It is the same thing as calling someone a doper just because they had a great time or finished first. And since we all know how good cyclists are at obeying traffic laws...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prana800 wrote:
And since we all know how good cyclists are at obeying traffic laws...

I wasn't aware that not following traffic laws gave cops justifiable cause to kill someone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they don't call them accidents anymore, they call them crashes, for a reason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
prana800 wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
prana800 wrote:
trihard4me wrote:

It is the way he called him out. If he did something negligent that caused the death, then the officer is in the wrong and he should receive disciplinary action, whether it be through the court system or through the LASO or both. They do call them accidents for a reason however, and if that was the case, then it was a tragic one. Calling him a F@ckin A$$hole, kind of over the top. Statements such as "The cop was probably following too close..." and "not paying attention" are simply innuendoes with no justifiable factual basis. It is the same thing as calling someone a doper just because they had a great time or finished first. And since we all know how good cyclists are at obeying traffic laws...

The news reports seem to indicate the cyclist was in the bike lane when he was hit by the car. If that was truly the case, then there aren't very many other explanations other than negligence. I don't think it's that over the top to call someone that kills someone when negligently operating a motor vehicle a fucking asshole. And I certainly don't see how that opinion could be interpreted in any way as a statement about cops in general, which you seemed to do.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

The news reports seem to indicate the cyclist was in the bike lane when he was hit by the car. If that was truly the case, then there aren't very many other explanations other than negligence. I don't think it's that over the top to call someone that kills someone when negligently operating a motor vehicle a fucking asshole. And I certainly don't see how that opinion could be interpreted in any way as a statement about cops in general, which you seemed to do.

+1
Now maybe we can refocus on the fact that another cyclist has lost his life to the driver of a car.
/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Last edited by: Gary Mc: Dec 9, 13 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:

+1
Now maybe we can refocus on the fact that another cyclist has lost his life to a car.
/

He didn't lose his life "to a car" it was due to the driver. This is similar to "gun's don't kill people, people kill people."
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [coredump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coredump wrote:
MarkyV wrote:

It's being covered in the LA Times, and all of the local networks have stories on it as well, with additional details beyond the Daily Mail piece.

He looks like a very nice man. And used to be COO of Napster. It's even hit TMZ.

http://www.tmz.com/...ollision/?adid=hero3

Very sad. And hopefully they will figure out what happened.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Dec 9, 13 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

It is the way he called him out. If he did something negligent that caused the death, then the officer is in the wrong and he should receive disciplinary action, whether it be through the court system or through the LASO or both. They do call them accidents for a reason .

Booo Hooo.... the COP in this case is a Fu@king A$$hole.... Whether he KILLED him intentionally or not.... he KILLED SOMEONE with his 5000 pound vehicle in broad daylight, dry conditions and in a friggin bike lane. The cop was breaking the law by being the the frickin bike lane to begin with. I don't care if the cop was scratching his balls and accidently hit him and killed him. Let see..... how many people in the 40 some years I've been driving have I killed someone on the road..... NONE. How people have l hit with my car..... NONE. How many people does an average person hit on the road... for 99.9% of people it's NONE.

This was negligent..... he should not have been given a license to drive, much less a badge. If I was on the jury I'd say prison for at least 10 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael Franti posted on his FB page. He was his attorney.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

It is the way he called him out. If he did something negligent that caused the death, then the officer is in the wrong and he should receive disciplinary action, whether it be through the court system or through the LASO or both. They do call them accidents for a reason .

Booo Hooo.... the COP in this case is a Fu@king A$$hole.... Whether he KILLED him intentionally or not.... he KILLED SOMEONE with his 5000 pound vehicle in broad daylight, dry conditions and in a friggin bike lane. The cop was breaking the law by being the the frickin bike lane to begin with. I don't care if the cop was scratching his balls and accidently hit him and killed him. Let see..... how many people in the 40 some years I've been driving have I killed someone on the road..... NONE. How people have l hit with my car..... NONE. How many people does an average person hit on the road... for 99.9% of people it's NONE.

This was negligent..... he should not have been given a license to drive, much less a badge. If I was on the jury I'd say prison for at least 10 years.

Since you were obviously there, can you please tell us exactly what happened?

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Huh? Don't attribute that quote to me, when I was responding to someone else's quote. You should go back and edit so that you attribute that comment to the right person.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [wolfador] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wolfador wrote:
Gary Mc wrote:

+1
Now maybe we can refocus on the fact that another cyclist has lost his life to a car.
/

He didn't lose his life "to a car" it was due to the driver. This is similar to "gun's don't kill people, people kill people."

I edited my post. It was not my intention to assign blame because I do not presume to have all of the facts. My point was that instead of discussing what words are appropriate to describe the driver, maybe we should focus our discussion on the fact that too many cyclists are killed by drivers and that the law, the roads, & society need to change so we are better protected.

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:

Wow. Just wow. I honestly can't believe you are spewing all of this. Yes, it is very tragic that a cyclist died. And yes,I believe a full investigation is called for, and appropriate actions are taken afterwards. But to make this many assumptions and allegations without the knowledge of what exactly happened is purely speculative and does a disservice to everyone involved. And to follow up with your opinion of cops is demonstrating ignorance.

I really wish that cops could have an opt-out option. People that feel that cops are "Fu@king A$$hole"'s should have the option of opting out of police service, then if they ever need to call the police, the police will not need to respond.

And incidentally to the poster above who mentioned the dash cam... Yes, that will certainly be invaluable, if it was turned on at the time. Each department sets their own standards, and I don't know LASO's policy, but many departments do not record all of the time. The camera is usually activated by doing things like turning on emergency lights, removing the shotgun or rifle, or if the officer physically turns it on. Just saying there is a reasonably good chance there is no dash cam footage.
Quote Reply
Re: LA cop hits and kills cyclist in bike lane [Rokko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He hasn't posted anything about cops in general, just this particular cop.

And as I posted earlier, since the reports seem to indicate that the cyclist was in the bike lane, it's not an unreasonable to assume that the officer was negligent, as there aren't too many other explanations for hitting a cyclist traveling in the bike lane on what is normally an open road.

But I agree with Gary, the bigger issue is the number of cyclists being hit my motorists. There are probably a number of reasons for this, but I think a big part is the fact that many motorists don't think they have to he 100% vigilent 100% of the time when on the road. If there were greater accountability for even mere negligence, more people might start looking at driving with the seriousness it deserves.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Dec 9, 13 12:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next