Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LASIK and Training
Quote | Reply
Having LASIK surgery done on Thursday. Both my optometrist and assistant at the LASIK place said I should hold off for one week before doing any training which seems a little excessive and I worry I may go crazy. Now I know I am going to hold off on swimming for at least a week but has anyone had the surgery and gone back to training sooner than a week?
Quote Reply
Re: LASIK and Training [JBADGER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBADGER wrote:
Having LASIK surgery done on Thursday. Both my optometrist and assistant at the LASIK place said I should hold off for one week before doing any training which seems a little excessive and I worry I may go crazy. Now I know I am going to hold off on swimming for at least a week but has anyone had the surgery and gone back to training sooner than a week?

I had the same advice. I asked why, exactly, they wanted me to wait. They were honest and gave me two answers.

1) They were afraid that if I got sweat in my eyes that it could carry infection under the flap.
2) They were afraid that any hard effort might injure the weakness in the eyes.

I ended up waiting about 4 days and then started running again. Since I had LASIK done in the winter, and was running outside I figured I wasn't in any danger of producing enough sweat that it would get in my eyes. And I decided to just run easy to avoid the possibility of somehow hurting my eyes (although I didn't quite understand what could possibly happen).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only did very light treadmill and trainer sessions after about 4 days.
Give your eyes the best chance to heal properly and quickly.
I was in the pool on day 8 after surgery... but was very careful with my goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I waited one day to start running and a few more to get on the bike. The biggest concern was getting crap in your eye. They told me to wear sunglasses and I'd be okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya, its probably better to get some strangers opinion on the internet so you can ignore your doctors advice when it comes to your permanent eyesight. that week off will totally ruin your professional triathlon career.

you made a great decision getting lasik, it was one of the best decisions i ever made. don't F*$@ it up now. listen to the guy that does nothing but help people see better who you just gave a lot of money to.
Quote Reply
Re: LASIK and Training [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why spend thousands on fixing your eyes, and then risk undoing it and go against doctors orders because you don't want rest for a few days??

Brooklyn Tri Dad
https://www.facebook.com/brooklyntridad/?ref=hl
http://brooklyntridad.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/BrooklynTriDad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBADGER wrote:

Take the week off, listen to your doctor.

Quote | Reply
Maybe this is a good way to transition to the physically challenged category. You just have to ensure becoming legally blind and then find a guide. Chances are nothing will go wrong but I'd personally not risk my eyes for a couple extra days of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Each time you want to work out against your doctor's orders, just imagine being blind or having uncorrectably bad eyesight for the rest of your life, continuously thinking "This is worth it for the fraction of a watt of my FTP".

Imagine absentmindedly wiping sweat out of your eye and dislodging (or removing!) your not-healed-yet flap. Ugggghhhh. Or tripping and falling while on a run, dislodging the flap, and not being able to find your way home.

I got PRK in late 2011, and my doctor cleared me for light trainer ("no sweating!") workouts 5 days post-op.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Feb 8, 16 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a doctor and former LASIK patient, just relax and take the week off. Its just a week. Get a massage, eat some good food, drink a glass or two of your favorite beverage, and then come back feeling fresh and ready to go.... My $0.02

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told not to swim for 2 weeks and not to do any other training for a week. I waited the recommended time so I would not risk infection. LASIK definitely makes life easier for racing and training once it's done though!
Last edited by: VeryAvgNick: Feb 8, 16 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to the doc. It is only a week!
Why even take the risk of complications? I had the surgery years ago (going on almost 17 years ago) and it was well worth it. You only have one set of eyes take care of them!

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply