Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kuwahara Hirame, Tanaka, or KCNC pump head?
Quote | Reply
I can get a Kuwahara Hirame for $70 shipped, a Tanaka for $50, or the KCNC head for $50 shipped. I hate to spend this much but inflating my FLO front has been basically a two person job due to the fact that my plastic pump head doesn't make a good seal on the valve stem. The Silca Hiro is out of the budget. I also own the Silca crackpipe but [myself] inflating to 100psi requires sitting on the pump handle 50x.

I'd love to hear from people who have owned either. I'll be using to inflate latex tubes (Vittoria) with smooth valve extension as well as standard butyl w/ threaded valves.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Kuwahara Hirame, Tanaka, or KCNC pump head? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the description, seems like you are using a screw on valve extender that does not relocate the valve stem. If the crack pipe works, why not invest $80 in a Craftsman cordless inflator and battery and replace the stock hose with an aftermarket pump head kit to incorporates the crack pipe? I got one several years ago to make it easier to inflate multiple sets of cross wheels on race day as the digital gauge provides for reasonably accurate pressure indications and can be set to auto inflate to pressure below 40 psi. I have also used it to inflate road tires to 110 psi but it can probably go as high as 120-130 psi and would allow you to hold the crack pipe on the valve with one hand with the inflator in the other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Kuwahara Hirame, Tanaka, or KCNC pump head? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM me your address and I'll give you a new KCNC that I don't use because I prefer the Silca chucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kuwahara Hirame, Tanaka, or KCNC pump head? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have considered that approach but prefer to stay away from using batteries.

I recently bought an Accu-Gage tire pressure gauge to see how the gauge on my $25 Serfas pump was doing. Amazingly, it was very, very good (+/-2% due to a limited number of tick marks on the gauges). From what I can tell, my pump uses a Park Tool head which is decent in most cases. The wheel that doesn't get a good seal is a Vittoria latex tube with removable valve core and an unbranded, smooth valve extension from trisports.com. It's frustrating to arrive at a race and to have to flag down someone to help when they are busy too.

DamonHenry wrote:
PM me your address and I'll give you a new KCNC that I don't use because I prefer the Silca chucks.
Awesome! PM sent.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply