Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia
Quote | Reply
I qualified for Kona last year. Since then, I have fallen apart. I have a torn labrum in my hip, torn adductors across my pubic bone (sports hernia), torn disc and bulging discs. I can swim and bike with minimal pain although the adductor tears seem to be robbing me of some power. However, running hurts a great deal, especially the next day for about 24-36 hours. I haven't run more than 6 miles at a time since I was diagnosed with the labrum and sports hernia.

Has anyone on this Forum raced an IRONMAN with both a sports hernia and a torn labrum? The pain seems to go away with a cortisone shot in my hip socket which makes me and my Dr think that it is the labrum, but the pain seems to be in the pubic bone region which makes me thing the sports hernia is certainly contributing.

It took me 30 years to get to Kona (I am 51), I really don't want to pull out. However, I don't want to do so much damage that I need a hip replacement either. My plan is after the race to continue to do PT and take a year off running with the hope that I don't need either surgery. My fear is that I will still need the labrum repair which has a 6 month recovery.

Appreciate any inputs.
Ross
Last edited by: dsplaysrch: Jul 14, 16 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [dsplaysrch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your issues

I did it with both. Like you, I had serious pain after running and still do even after having corrective surgery. I wouldn't worry about permanent damage, or at least that was the advice I received.

That said, if you really can't run more than six miles, I wouldn't expect to be running all that much of the marathon in Hawaii.

After Kona you will need to make a call on surgery if you want to race next year, of course

Best of luck
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kileyay,

What was your race like? Did you have a cortisone shot to get through it? Which surgery did you have?

I have found that I don't have the pain when i get a cortisone shot in my hip socket, but the effect only lasts about 2 weeks. I will try and run for as long as I can, but worry about worsening the adductor tears which are 3mm in size all the way across.

Did you get the labrum or sports hernia surgery or both?

Thanks,
Ross
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously not the same as regular running but have you tried aqua jogging? Obviously won't fix your injury but maybe not make it worse. I did it for a month during HIM training. It was boring but definitely helped me recover while still having some run fitness
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip. I have also been able to run pain free on Alter-G treadmills, but that was after my cortisone shot. Will give it a try without the cortisone shot. If that doesn't work, will start pool running...

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found pool running to be painful with my hip issue. The resistance in lifting my knee... If you have access to alter g I dont think you can get anything better
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you had an MRA to diagnose a labral tear? Regardless of your decision on going to Kona you probably need to know exactly what you're dealing with. It can also take up to 6+months to schedule surgery with some of the top labral repair doctors in the US. I was lucky and able to get in with Dr. Phillipon within 2 months of my accident and diagnosis.My surgery and rehab have gone very well.

Good luck to you . Sorry to hear about your injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [milesaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not have surgery for the sportsman hernia? I've had two hernias operated on and both kept me out of running for no more than 6 weeks.

Personally racing with those injuries sounds like a nightmare, a very expensive nightmare for your bank account and your body.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 14, 16 23:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How competitive were you going to be at Kona? The glory is actually qualifying for Kona, and you've done that. Unless you're in contention for the podium, maybe just treat it as a fun day at an easy pace and see how far you get and don't worry about it so much. And spend the rest of the time soaking up Hawaii as vacation and let others stress the F out about their race.

And that's pretty badass you stuck it out for 30 years! You did it!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [milesaway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, milesaway, the labral tear and adductor tears showed up on my MRI. I have a labral repair surgeon where I live, but will look more into Dr. Phillipon. Still evaluating whether I will have surgery or not...
Last edited by: dsplaysrch: Jul 15, 16 3:26
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zedzded, it was a tough call to delay the surgery or surgeries, but I didn't want to jeopardize Kona. The race may not be terrible with a cortisone injection. Also,
it hasn't been clear which injury has been causing the pain. Even if I got the hernia surgery, I may still not be able to run much due to the labrum tear. We think it is the labrum that is causing the pain as the cortisone injection into the labral area has removed the pain and that is a much longer recovery, 6 months I am told. By then, the hernia would likely heal on its own. Frustrating and confusing pair of injuries...
Last edited by: dsplaysrch: Jul 15, 16 3:31
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett, Was hoping to be competitive in my age group, but that is out the window. I will definitely just treat it as a fun day and celebrate my journey to Kona on race day. Will have more time to take in the spectacle that is Kona. Could me my last IM, so will take the time to smell the roses...
Last edited by: dsplaysrch: Jul 15, 16 3:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had my sports hernia, I stopped 100% run training for a LONG time until it healed. I was still able to run in a race, but once I crossed the finish line,
I was not able to run another inch. Amazing what the mind can do for pain.

Based on you taking 30 years to get there, just go and enough the race and finish. Walk most of the run if you need to.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, whatever it takes to finish.
Going to need some serious painkillers after the race.
There will definitely be walking....:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% i would race! Just like others have said soak it up enjoy the moment! Shit if its super hot and humid maybe i will be walking the run with you!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am a little bitch, because my immediate reaction was to not do it and take care of your body.

Look, you made it to Kona. All props and respect. If you didn't race, you will always know, "YOU MADE IT TO KONA!"

Days before my first IM, my daughter was kind enough to give me strep, which turned into an awesome chest cold, fever, and loads of green/yellow stuff coming from my lungs.

I was so tunnel-visioned, I was racing no matter what. My dad pulled me aside the day before the race and said to me, "Even sick, you are in such great shape right now, your body will be able to push beyond limits you can't imagine...potentially doing more damage that you ever imagined you could. Be careful."

Against his wishes, I toed the line and DNF'd the swim, missing the cutoff (because I sucked at swimming, not because I was sick). However, I got healthy and got my IM a few months later in a much more enjoyable experience. In retrospect, the DNF was the best thing that could have happened because it protected me from myself.

Good luck in whatever you decide and congrats on the amazing accomplishment. You are already in an elite group and those of us who know what you've done are in awe.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely could have used someone to protect me from myself. I did 11 IMs in 3 years after losing 50 pounds. I never stopped because I didn't have any injuries. My last IM was my fastest by over 30 minutes. Hindsight is 20/20, but I am definitely telling people to take more time off than I did after races and to really build hip and transverse abdominus strength to avoid these kinds of injuries...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 3 tears in my labrum that was repaired a little over a year ago. No sports hernia. Cortisone injection helped for me until I tried running. The pain came right back. Had surgery to repair the tears last summer. Took about 6-8 months to feel relatively normal again.

You are playing with fire as you can make it worse where surgery won't even help and then you are looking at a hip replacement. Only a good ortho who knows the hip very well can tell you (based off experience) where you fall.

Personally, if it was any other race, I would say bag it and try to get healthy first. But since its kona, I would start doing PT and try to manage it while still "training". I would say you aren't going to be able to race the marathon so be mentally ready to do a walk/run.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks stevej. I have been doing PT for a few months now and trying to manage it while training like you said, but these injuries take a long time to heal and the labrum doesn't heal itself as you know very well. I am fully prepared for this to be my last IM. Running even 3 miles just feels terrible.

Are you happy you got the labrum surgery? Would you recommend it? Are you back to full speed? With all the PT and a repaired labrum, I hope I can get faster than I was before the injury, but would love to hear from people who have already been through this...

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I am very happy with the surgery results. My MRI only showed 1 tear and I honestly wasn't in that much pain (only while running). Pain was a 6 out of 10. My doc was pretty conservative so we did a cortisone shot, PT for 6-8 weeks, and time off training before he would do surgery on me. When he went in, he found 3 tears and was blown away how bad my hip was and how I wasn't in more pain. He told me he would have down surgery months ago if he knew had bad my hip was.

Recovery sucks and it is painfully slow. You absolutely cannot rush recovery from this surgery. Don't listen to your friends or family.... listen to your doctor. You will pay for it later if you try to rush it. You can look at my blog to get a glimpse of what I went through for surgery and recovery.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your surgery looked awful. 9 hours. 2 years to race gain. Glad you made it back. At 51, I think I may choose to retire from triathlons if it only continues to bother me running and do more AquaBikes. However, if it bothers me more than just running, will have no choice but to get an operation. Thanks for showing me your blog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

My hip feels 100% normal. At times I do feel tightness in the hip but it is strictly muscle. I started seeing a massage therapist regularly about 4 months post surgery and I still see him now. He broke up a lot of scar tissue from surgery and worked on all the muscles surrounding the hip as they were freaking out when I started using them again. Without him and countless others, I wouldn't be feeling 100% like I do now.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are multiple threads on slowtwitch about FAI and Labral surgery. Some people are able to continue to train and function with torn a torn labrum. Mine was the result of a bike accident. The tear was so significant that I was unable to ride, run or swim without a buoy while waiting the 2 months for surgery. The last month before surgery I was barely able to function at work as my hip pain progressed to back, knee and PF pain.
I'm 5+ months out PO from surgery. It was the only and best choice that I've ever made. My swim is back and I'm riding (trainer) at 80%+ of my previous wattage/distance. I have no hip pain or symptoms and if I could run I would have forgotten that I'd even had surgery. I'm 53 and female so we've been very conservative with my recovery. I could probably try running now if I wanted but I'm waiting until late fall. I'm so confident in my recovery that I signed up for a HIM next April.
From what I've experienced with a good surgeon, rehab team and patience you can successfully return to triathlons. The key (IMO) is having the best surgeon that you can perform your surgery and be very patient with your recovery. This isn't an end of the world diagnosis. Send me a pm if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsplaysrch wrote:
What was your race like? Did you have a cortisone shot to get through it? Which surgery did you have?

I have found that I don't have the pain when i get a cortisone shot in my hip socket, but the effect only lasts about 2 weeks. I will try and run for as long as I can, but worry about worsening the adductor tears which are 3mm in size all the way across.

Did you get the labrum or sports hernia surgery or both?

My race didn't go well, but I think mainly due to the heat/humidity and GI distress--both aggravated, I think, by improper pacing--rather than by my hip. I did get a cortisone shot to get through the training and the build up to the race, and I think it helped.

I got sports hernia surgery and labrum repair at the same time. Dr. Meyers in Philadelphia and one of his orthopedist partners for the labrum.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona with a torn hip labrum and sports hernia [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. So far, I have been told not to get the labrum and hernia done at the same time. I have talked to Dr. Poor who works under Dr. Myers in Philly. Would you recommend that approach? How long before you could get back on the bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply

Prev Next