Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee)
Quote | Reply
This is our second time in Kona. The last time we spent five days there after 9 days in Oahu and we didn't do much besides a little snorkeling, Greenwell Farms coffee tour, and a quick trip to Volcanoes National Park. I also did my fair share of swimming in Kailua Bay and running on Ali'i Drive, and plan on doing that again.

This time we'd like to do a bit more exploring. We are staying at the King Kam Marriott. Me, wife, and son (11 almost 12). We might make a day trip to Hilo but it seems people are very hit and miss on Hilo due to the rain but we will try and pick a dry (or mostly dry day) if we go. We'd also like to spend more time hiking around the Volcanoes Nat'l Park. I'd love to hike up Mauna Loa as well but no way my 11 year old is going to deal with that. I'd like to do a heli tour but I'm not sure dropping close to $2,000 is worth it in the end.

So any advice and recommendations are welcome.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the Napau crater trail and walk alongside the Mauna Ulu all the way to Napau crater and back. It is more or less a day hike but very nice!
Eruption site at Kalapana is also nice bothe during light and dark (if still erupting) but do rent a bike for the dirt road stretch.
Sam
Last edited by: sgy: May 19, 17 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being a Hilo native (been in NYC for 9 years so things may have changed), I can confirm that it is hit or miss on both weather and anything of interest, especially with a child. Only two museums worth visiting but both are tiny and doable in 1-2 hours, may not be too interesting for an 11 yo. I would definitely recommend ATV riding up in Waimea if you're cool with the kid jumping on one, I know this stuff was available long ago, not sure if it still exists, but there is also horseback riding up there, quite scenic up in the Kohala mountains. As far as driving up to Mauna Kea (likely you meant that and not Mauna Loa as Mauna Loa requires 4wd) the summit could be a task but the more interesting part if going up to the visitors center at 10k ft. as that is where they have telescopes out at dusk/early evening and could be a nice night, only crappy part is the hour drive back to wherever you are staying. As a side note, I love cycling up on saddle road now that the road has been widened and straightened, it's a cooler contrast to Kona.

If you have the money, Heli tours are absolutely the way to see volcanoes and scenic waterfalls, hiking in the park can only get you so close to the lava (of course, that is if you stay within park recommended boundaries!) and from the air you can see the magma pools and streams. Pretty sure glass bottom boats are still around. That's all off the top of my head... i'll be there in the same time frame for the 70.3 with my fiance who has never been to Hawai'i so I suspect we will be doing some of these same touristy things.

Oh and if you are into trail running, may want to check out Mana road (north entry in Waimea, south entry on the Mauna Kea access road) where you can park by the entrance to the road and do an out-and-back. They have a few races that go through the whole thing.

Check out Bree Wee's instagram for more awesome running areas, she's currently training for the hurt 100.

That's all I got for now, hope you have a good time!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did a heli tour with the kids back in 2013 (11, 14 and 19) along with many other things. It was absolutely our least favorite thing of the trip and a huge waste of money. For the cost the cool/wow factor was very very low once you got past the first 5-10 mins. Then it's the same thing over and over again.

We did an ATV tour out past Hawi and that was loads of fun. Would highly recommend doing one.

Hands down the best thing of the trip was the Pearl Harbor and Arizona visit during our layover to connect back to Houston. Our kids really loved that part of the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What??? You're going to the Mecca of Triathlon and you are looking for "stuff to do"??? It is very simple: swim long, bike long, and run long, then rest and recover.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this would be of interest to you guys but we enjoyed this garden on our trip to the Big Island: http://hawaiigarden.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having spent 2 months in Hilo in 2015, I'd say if you have the time Hilo can be a nice day trip. I'm not saying it's my favorite place in the world, but we had some good times with our then-4-year old boy. The Farmer's Market (Sundays?) is pretty good - make a picnic out of it. There is really fun swimming/snorkeling with turtles at the bays just north of the airport...the exact beach escapes me but we did that at least 3 times a week. There is a Thai restaurant - a little hole in the wall just south of where the east-west road meets the north-south road - that is wonderful! (is that vague enough for you - maybe ask around?)

For body boarding or surfing the best waves were north of Hilo maybe 2-3 miles - any guidebook can direct you. Believe the signs saying the waves are more powerful than mainland waves.

Oh - the botanical gardens! I thought this was going to be retarded and it was awesome!! It might have been 15 bucks, but this couple spent literally a million of their own dollars to build out this beautiful canyon full of all sorts of flora and fauna. Lots of walkways, bridges, crazy plants and flowers, waterfalls and you walk all the way down the beach which is basically crashing up on to the walkway. I know it sounds lame at first blush but we really enjoyed it. It's a bit north of Hilo - maybe 10 mins?

Lastly for Hilo, the Japanese gardens on the north side of Hilo are quite nice for a stroll, some running around or a picnic.

Further south closer to Pahoa, check out Uncle Bob's Market (might be Bob, might be another gentleman's name) on Wednesday nights. Warning: it's in the middle of butt-ass nowhere so this really is a destination trip. Live music, tons of food stalls, local crafts, and some food trucks and mostly locals with their inherent character. The best find is probably the dairy free ice cream - this local couple make it with local ingredients and it's fantastic. You could maybe couple this with your time near the volcano since it's in the vicinity.

Also further south are the tidepools, also outside of Pahoa (?). Really really fun snorkeling especially with more inexperienced snorkelers - very shallow but lots of sea life and easy ingress/egress. Don't go if it's especially windy.

Hilo is not that rainy - yes it rains a little every day, but in 2 months we never got caught out for more than 5-10 minutes.

King Kam is a great spot. The last week we spent there was a blast - we literally ate breakfast lunch and dinner every day at Lava Java. So much so that by the end they were giving us their day old cookies and brownies, and half off our last epic dinner there. Great people and wonderful food.

PM me with any questions or if you need specifics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I honeymooned in Kona. A couple of suggestions:
1. Definitely do the night tour up on Mauna Kea. They have a stargazing tour that shows you around the observatories up on the mountain and helps you find various constellations in the night sky. It is really cool. Literally. I'm sure you've heard how cold it can be up there. But when you go it will probably be nice.
2. Captain Cook monument - there is a horseback riding tour that leaves from up on the main road and goes down the steep mountain/cliff to the Captain Cook monument. There they provide lunch and snorkel gear. It is amazing. It is a long, hard hike down there so I definitely recommend the horses. Your kids will love it. It is guided and super fun.
3. The Waipi'o Valley. We rented a Jeep, which I highly recommend. Maybe our favorite activity was taking the Jeep down the unbelievably steep road to the rutted-out dirt road that leads to the most beautiful beach I've seen. There is a river flowing out to the ocean there, lots of locals surfing. It is just amazing. It doesn't get many tourists because you can't get down there without a 4x4. The road has a guard at the top to prevent regular cars from going down. This is a can't miss. Pack a lunch and a cooler and plan to spend a couple of hours in a secluded paradise. https://www.gohawaii.com/...ipio-valley-lookout/.

Have fun!

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to the Hilo side, you may be interested in the coffee site below. They have a cottage rental on that side in one of their coffee fields. Spent a night in it a few years ago and it was nice. Also, makes it so you do not have to drive over to Hilo and back in the same day, so that you do not have to rush your trip over there.

http://www.sharkyscoffee.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee) [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Favorite spots of mine on the Big Island: Green Sand beach at the southern tip of the island. About a 2 mile hike from the end of the road. Unless the surf is unusually strong, your son should be able to body surf there if he can handle the waves at Magic Sands Beach on Alii Drive. I also love the Kohala Mountain Road from Waimea to Hawi, which is green and cool comparing to Kona, but not as wet and gray as Hilo. Horseback riding is available there as well as kayaking the Kohala Ditch, which was built for sugar cane irrigation. Kiholo Bay is a beautiful, secluded beach with turtles and an ancient fishing pond which you can access by hiking less than a mile off the Queen K near the resorts.

Enjoy!

DougEFresh wrote:

3. The Waipi'o Valley. We rented a Jeep, which I highly recommend. Maybe our favorite activity was taking the Jeep down the unbelievably steep road to the rutted-out dirt road that leads to the most beautiful beach I've seen. There is a river flowing out to the ocean there, lots of locals surfing. It is just amazing. It doesn't get many tourists because you can't get down there without a 4x4. The road has a guard at the top to prevent regular cars from going down. This is a can't miss. Pack a lunch and a cooler and plan to spend a couple of hours in a secluded paradise. https://www.gohawaii.com/...ipio-valley-lookout/.

Took my girlfriend of six months to Kona and we traveled by foot to the bottom of Waip'o. I ran and she walked. She loved it until she had to walk back up to the car. Surprisingly, we're married now.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 19, 17 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee) [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the posts so far from everyone.

I see horseback riding mentioned a few times. Not my thing. I've done it twice and each time I could barely walk the next day as it felt like someone kicked me in the nuts and inner thighs about 10x. Can't say I liked it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a day trip to VNP is a long day, try to stay if you can?

Couple years back we went for a scuba liveaboard trip that left from the Kona pier, we flew into Hilo a couple days early and drove up the volcano and stayed in a cabin at the
Namakani Paio Cabins inside the park for two nights. It was awesome, cabin and tent site set in a eucalyptus forest off the main road, about a mile from the park's hotel (i wouldn't stay there, looked like your typical rundown nat'l park concessionaire operation, but you go get access to the hotel since the cabins are technically part of the same property.)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/...f_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Here's the official site, think we paid $80/night
http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/accommodations/cabins-and-campsites/

We stopped at a market on the way up and bought some wine and food (and matches for the fire, and smores stuff). The cabins are sparse but warm inside and have good beds, shared bathroom like any campground. Table outside with a little bbq/fire pit if you desire. You can see the glow from the crater at night through the trees, and there's a trail that goes directly from the campgrounds to the crater/Jagger museum. Since we were still on LA time, woke up at 4 am the first morning and did a "night" hike to experience dawn at the crater (the lava lake wasn't that high when we went. You're also close to all the trails (Kilauea Iki was great) and the Chain of Craters Road.

I know you've probably booked the hotel from the sounds of it but I'd go back and stay here in a second. I think a 12 year old would love it (depending on the 12 year old I guess)
. I'd consider giving up one night, driving north or south one day, exploring, overnight, more exploring then take the other road back. We only drove the north, but lots to stop and see (including Waipo and the steepest (?) road in the world)

Good place for eats is the Thai food truck. Google it, it should pop up pretty fast. Parks in some parking lot in Volcano. Found it https://www.tripadvisor.com/...f_Hawaii_Hawaii.html We had it for lunch and then the leftovers for dinner around the fire

Last edited by: ChrisM: May 19, 17 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last time we were in Kona with our children we did the Mata Ray night dive. It was pretty fun. If I find the name I'll repost. It was the one with the little canoes that you had to paddle out - not very far. good crew.

We also hiked down into Pololu Valley but from the north side at the end of the road past Hawi. Also have done the Waipio side. If it rains your shoes are probably toast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nine years old.......Zipp line north end hilo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of mai tais at the Kona Inn Restaurant bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
This is our second time in Kona. The last time we spent five days there after 9 days in Oahu and we didn't do much besides a little snorkeling, Greenwell Farms coffee tour, and a quick trip to Volcanoes National Park. I also did my fair share of swimming in Kailua Bay and running on Ali'i Drive, and plan on doing that again.

This time we'd like to do a bit more exploring. We are staying at the King Kam Marriott. Me, wife, and son (11 almost 12). We might make a day trip to Hilo but it seems people are very hit and miss on Hilo due to the rain but we will try and pick a dry (or mostly dry day) if we go. We'd also like to spend more time hiking around the Volcanoes Nat'l Park. I'd love to hike up Mauna Loa as well but no way my 11 year old is going to deal with that. I'd like to do a heli tour but I'm not sure dropping close to $2,000 is worth it in the end.

So any advice and recommendations are welcome.

I wouldn't write of a trip to Hilo because of weather worries. It can be pretty nice over there. Just check the forecast and go for it using the Saddle Road. On the way across you can check out Mauna Kea to the visitors center or even to the top. Past the Mauna Kea access on the Mauna Loa side of the highway there is a very cool hike that takes you through a nice forested area. If your son is motivated enough to go all the way in, there is a huge lava tube you can visit. There are several waterfalls in Hilo and north of there that make for a pleasant visit. The scenic route along the old highway north of Hilo is fun and has some coast access hikes worth checking out.

Even if you just drive to Hilo the parks along the Bay in town and north of the airport are very scenic. You can also head down to the southeast part of the island and check out the Puna Coast area. There is a free zoo on the way if your son has any interest. The Ahalanui Beach Park thermal pool is a cool spot. Then at the southwest end of the Puna area is Kalapana which is the east side of the current Kilauea lava flow. If you stop there you can rent crappy mtb's for a 4 mile ride to view the flow into the ocean. Definitely unique. It is still a toss up on returning to Kona by the south highway or the Saddle Road because the highway is just so slow. There is some ongoing Saddle Road construction on the Hilo descent side, so check the typical closure hours before heading that way.

If you haven't visited Hawi, Pololu Overlook, Waimea, Honakaa and Waipio. On the north end of the island, consider them for your exploration. There are family friendly hikes available in most of these areas. I like the biking too, but I think you mentioned having a tough time finding a rental with Honu overlapping your trip.

I will second the Manta Ray snorkel/dive recommendation above. Nothing like it!

Have a great trip. We're headed over next week for the Honu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the Honu 70.3 on June 3rd, registration is still open. Not sure what time you are leaving, but...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee) [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justablur wrote:
Do the Honu 70.3 on June 3rd, registration is still open. Not sure what time you are leaving, but...

Leaving early afternoon... and I haven't swam in two months or biked in a month or run more than an hour in six months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a one two for you. Morning do the dolphine X extream just South of Hapuna Beach, not to expensive done it several times then go up to Weimia and find Hana's pond. Kinda secrete waterfall with a really cool rope swing. It will be an adventure your kids won't forget. If you decide to go it will take some creativity to find it. enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there last month with our kids, different friends recommended these activities - had a blast with all three! Happy to answer questions.

Swim with dolphins:
http://hawaiiankineadventures.com/...h-wild-dolphins.html

Snorkeling near Captain Cook monument with SNUBA option (kids loved this):
https://www.fair-wind.com/...-snorkel-bbq-cruise/

Zip lining a little north of Hilo - yes it rained, was still awesome:
https://umaumaexperience.com/...Tx_tMCFU5ufgodoE4GHw

Have a great trip!
Last edited by: kenwil: May 20, 17 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I forgot the lava tube outside of Hilo. Your kids will love it - really cool cave entrance, then pitch black for about 3/4 mile or so. Allegedly it then opens up into a forest but we didn't make it that far since I had my then-4 year old and there is a huge rock pile that you have to scramble over. Suffice it to say, the wife bailed out about 40 feet in, and she hasn't even seen The Descent.

Bring flashlights!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cliff jumping at end of the world and a morning swim at Captain Cook. If you are at Captain Cook in the AM there will be a ton of spinner dolphins.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the boy is too young to be certified, but I highly recommend the night manta ray dive. Several different outfitters, but they all go to the same place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Thanks for the posts so far from everyone.

I see horseback riding mentioned a few times. Not my thing. I've done it twice and each time I could barely walk the next day as it felt like someone kicked me in the nuts and inner thighs about 10x. Can't say I liked it.

One relatively new activity is guided MTBing out of Anna Ranch in Waimea - business was started by former pro cyclist Alex Candelario. A good family option with them is Mana Rd - if it's clear you get stunning views of both Mauna Kea and Kohala. They have e-bikes, too, which is a great family equalizer. My wife dropped my ass going up. :-)

http://bigislandbiketours.com/...ain_bike_anna_ranch/

Waimea has some great eats for before or after.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Kona vacation May 26 - June 3... stuff to do (paging KonaCoffee) [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kenwil wrote:
Was there last month with our kids, different friends recommended these activities - had a blast with all three! Happy to answer questions.

Swim with dolphins:
http://hawaiiankineadventures.com/...h-wild-dolphins.html

Snorkeling near Captain Cook monument with SNUBA option (kids loved this):
https://www.fair-wind.com/...-snorkel-bbq-cruise/

Zip lining a little north of Hilo - yes it rained, was still awesome:
https://umaumaexperience.com/...Tx_tMCFU5ufgodoE4GHw

Have a great trip!

Booked all three. Snorkel cruise on Sunday, dolphin swim on Tuesday, and zipline on Wednesday.

Quote Reply

Prev Next