Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona race prep
Quote | Reply
I am hoping for a top 5 finish in my AG in Kona this year.

How about some advice on my biggest obstacles:
1) Dealing with heat on the run- I swell AND get diarrhea when I try to do long runs in the heat.
I have been doing some of my long runs and some of my tempo runs in the Tucson heat.
But I am just getting good at tolerating swelling and diarrhea. I don't seem to be avoiding these problems.

2) Overbiking- I will have the "disadvantage" of coming out of the water in 53 minutes. This will mean that I will pass no-one, get passed by hundreds and will burn way too many matches trying to stay within sight of the fastest cyclists. "Race your own race" is easier said than done.

Assets I have:
1) Best bike fitness of my life.
2) Good swim and run fitness. (Although I am a terrible runner in comparison with my swim/bike).
3) Good durability and recovery.
4) Understanding of my heart rate zones.
5) A power meter that I might be able to get working and I knowledge of my FTP (from Wahoo kicked + TrainerRoad).
Quote Reply
Re: Kona race prep [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "swelling", do you mean water retention such that you weigh more the next morning???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Kona race prep [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
By "swelling", do you mean water retention such that you weigh more the next morning???

Yes.
I used to swell after running in the heat.

I now swell WHILE I am running in the heat. (There is definitely swelling in the joints and muscles. I am not certain if there is also water retention in the blood).

Bottom line is that it is 1000 times more difficult to run 8:10 mile/pace for 20 miles in 95 degree heat....
than it is to run 22 miles at 7:30 pace on the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Yes.
I used to swell after running in the heat.
I now swell WHILE I am running in the heat. (There is definitely swelling in the joints and muscles. I am not certain if there is also water retention in the blood).
Bottom line is that it is 1000 times more difficult to run 8:10 mile/pace for 20 miles in 95 degree heat....
than it is to run 22 miles at 7:30 pace on the treadmill.

Well, I'm afraid i have no advice but can only say that you are not alone in the water retention business. It seems to happen to me whenever I am running a bit harder/longer than average. That said, maybe it is not that big of an issue; I've experienced this off and on for about 30 yrs now, with no apparent ill effects. The biggest "ill effect" in my mind may be that I feel like i'm getting fat when in fact i'm not. This morning I was 4 lb up from last Thurs; I weigh every morning and it has just been a steady gain of 0.5 to 1.5 lb extra lb or so each day for 4 days now. I've been watching my intake carefully and have not been over-eating at all. On the positive side, my % fat is down due to the extra water, but my runs have taken a nose dive as i'm going about 50 sec/mi slower now. Oh well, maybe just time for a little rest; perhaps xtrapickels or another exer phys person will weigh in on this water retention business.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for #2 it's not a disadvantage. Coming out of the water in 53 mins means you can take it nice and easy - I would just chill out and ride a steady effort until Waikoloa. The advantage you have is that you can take your pick of riders coming past you. If they are going way too hard, just ease off and wait for the next one. There is no point trying to stay with the fastest AG cyclists unless you are one yourself - the FOP bikers are riding like 280w in Kona. But below that level you are spoiled for choice with decent bikers of all abilities. Your situation is much better than getting out of the water in 1:10 and trying to ride through everyone. How many times have you raced in Kona before?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We already talked about some of this when we chatted on the phone a few weeks ago, but remember Tucson summer is extreme weather everyday all day. You don't need to run in 95 degrees during the day, how about running first thing in the morning when it's 80 degrees? That will still get core temps up and initiate the changes needed to endure in the heat without all the extreme side effects that may be hampering the rest of your training. It sounds to me that you are increasing the permeability of your gut and that's what causes the diarrhea and possibly an immune reaction that can cause the swelling. Not good to provoke this too many time. You didn't mention this but hopefully you aren't experiencing any blood in your urine or stool. Also not good. You don't need to press into the extremes of the extremes to adapt favorably. Be smart!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona race prep [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
for #2 it's not a disadvantage. Coming out of the water in 53 mins means you can take it nice and easy - I would just chill out and ride a steady effort until Waikoloa. The advantage you have is that you can take your pick of riders coming past you. If they are going way too hard, just ease off and wait for the next one. There is no point trying to stay with the fastest AG cyclists unless you are one yourself - the FOP bikers are riding like 280w in Kona. But below that level you are spoiled for choice with decent bikers of all abilities. Your situation is much better than getting out of the water in 1:10 and trying to ride through everyone. How many times have you raced in Kona before?

This will be my forth time.
1st time- I had a technical problem. I lost 8 minutes walking my bike to tech support.
(Oddly this was the best of result relative to my ability).

2nd time- Made nutrition mistakes (it all fell off bike and I didn't stop to get it) and sun tan lotion mistake (thought it would be available in T1).
DNF

3rd time - I got a drafting penalty as the result of a mini altercation I had with a female pro. (I passed. She re-passed and cut in. I sat up. But got penalized anyway).
I then overbiked to "make up the time. " And I also got diarrhea on run.

I did find it much easier riding in the middle of the race on my first attempt.
Quote Reply