Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb)
Quote | Reply
Is there anybody out there who have managed to haul 95kg/210lb across the line to get a slot? Legacy excluded.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ain Alar was/is 94kg - but not above your figure
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/......how_big_P1530156/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I very much doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen pics of Lew Hollander and, whereas I don't have the exact number, I'd bet he's over 210. And he's been qualifying for years and years and years.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I've seen pics of Lew Hollander and, whereas I don't have the exact number, I'd bet he's over 210. And he's been qualifying for years and years and years.

I'm sure he was not asking about 80 year olds.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Sep 28, 14 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
I very much doubt it.

I very much doubt it either unless the KQ'er was 6'8" or something.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are fairly tall and pick a very cold, very flat race, should be possible with enough talent.

maybe not the best choice of mass or sport though, given the volume of running you will be doing at 210lbs

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would have to be a very, very big person to KQ at 210lbs.

If you're in the hunt for a Kona spot, you'll be training like mad, and most likely be at your lowest possible weight for your body type come race day. Someone who is 210 with very low body fat would have to be very naturally built and in the 6'5"+ range.

That person would probably have better luck taking up rowing or basketball then chasing a KQ spot =).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 6'9, 210 lb man would have about the same BMI as a 6'1, 170 lb guy.
Not unusual for a kona qualifier at all.

But how many people are that tall?
And athletic? (Most people that tall will have physical problems).
And not suffering from some basketball related injury?
And willing to train hard for an ironman?

I think it is just a matter of too few people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2013 IM Louisville I took 5th m30-34 in 9:37 at 6foot 220lbs. Let my slot roll.

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No offence, but BMI is a completely useless metric, especially so when considering outliers, like people who are very fit, such as in the subject of the OP.

I know a few guys on our national rowing team. These guys are beasts. Around the 210-220 range, taller then 6'4" and with extremely low body fat. I can't imagine one of those big lumbering dudes running their way to a KQ spot, despite their exceptional fitness and other worldly pain tolerance!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about actually winning the AG at Kona? Does that count?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Congrats_to_BigBloke!_P2541011/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryan Barnett raced Kona 3 years ago at 100Kg and went 9:27........

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Ryan Barnett raced Kona 3 years ago at 100Kg and went 9:27........

That is insane!

Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
No offence, but BMI is a completely useless metric,

I think it is useful to keep in mind the distinction between 'imperfect' and 'useless'.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
How about actually winning the AG at Kona? Does that count?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Congrats_to_BigBloke!_P2541011/

SWEEEEEEET (and spreadsheet to boot!)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love his Injuries column for Sept 09: "Threw up 17 times after pineapple juice+milk"

At least he kept track and logged it like any good triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
No offence, but BMI is a completely useless metric,

I think it is useful to keep in mind the distinction between 'imperfect' and 'useless'.

Yes.
Weighing more than xx that is a useless metric.
The amount of weight one is carrying around versus the size of their "frame" is an imperfect measure.
If it were "useless" we would not be talking about some 95kg guy winning his AG. We would see people like this winning outright all the time. Which is faster 9:27 (Clydesdale) or 8:03 (nonclydesdale).

There is a difference between being big, being heavy and being fat.
6'9 - 210 lbs is big. This is probably not a disadvantage at all. (Their are just not a lot of people like that).
6'0- 210- only 8% body fat- is probably a disadvantage. Is the extra 40 lbs of muscle the core of the problem? Is it the time spent lifting weights instead of swim/bike/running the problem? Is it the unlikelihood of having a heart/lungs that is proportionate to the extra 40lbs of muscles? Is it the increased likelihood of injury?
Maybe a little of all.
6'0-210-30% body fat- is also a disadvantage. But is it possible to be the fat and train hard enough to kona qualify? Or would the training necessary to kona qualify usually eliminate the fat?
(It did for me).

I knew a world class swimmer who quit swimming and got really fat.
During his comeback, his speed recovered much faster than the loss of body fat.
On the other hand if he were a runner, he would have probably just injured himself (or would have had to loose the weight) before he got into shape.

It would be interesting if anyone with 25%+ body fat ever Kqed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So weight - regardless of what form it takes - is the extreme limiter for being fast enough to KQ at IM distance?

It has very little impact on the swim, is offset somewhat on the bike by potential higher power and a flat course, so the run must be the biggest problem. Big/heavy athletes almost regardless of the engine, can't move fast enough on the third leg to be really competitive!

So this sport is where a good small person will always beat a good big one.

How about 90kg / over 200lb?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
So weight - regardless of what form it takes - is the extreme limiter for being fast enough to KQ at IM distance?

No, because weight in the form of height is often no penalty at all.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly it's possible (as some have) to qualify at that weight, but I think one of the major challenges is that most athletes that size (that have the right combination of physiology and biomechanics to go mid 9hr range) don't tent to gravitate towards endurance sports, so the pool of talented endurance athletes at that size is very small.

When I ran xc/tf in college, I was 185lbs and was 30lbs+ heavier than any teammate, and can't recall ever racing against anybody at/near my size, in any race over 800m. And I just stumbled into distance running in HS. I was trying to get in shape for soccer and wanted to be a hurdler, but my friends (whom I carpooled home with) were distance guys, so I ended up becoming a distance guy, on doing surprisingly well.

But none of the coaches in my HS were going up to other 180lb guys and telling them they should be distance runners. The only coach who every approached me was our freshman football coach.

You could find swimmers, who might fit the right mold, and rowing would be a great sport, but the challenge would be for big guys, with limited to no running background being able to handle the training load necessary for the run.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can relate to you - in fact at 6 foot 5 and 190 I was really discouraged from running. The beauty of triathlon is that its much more forgiving to the bigger guys and gals - we can still compete at a fairly high level because on the bike being big can help on flat courses - and also it tends to be advantage on the swim. Running well - no need to comment - not many big guys that can rip up super fast 10k's.

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that athletes from that ex-big swimmer, ex-rower mould who were very competitive (say national representation level) and have "retired" but still have the competitive urge, haven't had a crack. There'd be plenty out there and you'd think ironman /KQ would be a bucket list objective for a lot of ex high level single sport athletes. Either seems that's not the case or being able to run a mara fast is.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 6'9" and 210lbs and I disagree. I am one of the faster guys at any triathlon, it gives you a huge advantage
Quote Reply
Re: Kona qualifiers - any over 95kg (210lb) [buckeyeguy177] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im 6'2'' about 200-205 and am very competative at shorter races. Did my first full this year, think it would be very tough to be competetive at long course for me personally...then again i wouldnt say im 100% triathlon focused. If someone the same size gave 100% i think they can have huge advantages on the bike...
Quote Reply

Prev Next