Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips
Quote | Reply
I was lucky enough to get into Kona via the lottery last week after 8 ironmans and a decade of trying to qualify or win the lottery. It would be a serious understatement to say I am incredibly excited. Given that this may be my one trip to the race in this lifetime, I want to do it right. This is gonna be a huge new expense this year but my wife is very supportive and we are working through the logistics now. I have the following questions I could use help with:

-What is a good amount of time to go for? For past ironmans I have usually gotten to the race site the Tuesday or Wednesday before and left the day after the race. Here I am thinking of flying out the Monday before the race and staying a couple days later to chill out. Any reason to get there sooner (or later) for heat acclimitization or any other reason I am not thinking about?

-Any insights on the best and worst places to stay? In town out of town? I have never been to the island but want to be able to go to swim at the pier most days and catch the scene but also relax most of the time pre-race.

-Anyone used Endurance Sport Travel for Kona? I used them for IM Brazil several years back and had a completely excellent experience and would be interested to hear from others who have used their Kona service. Also be interested to hear about any other services that were really good

-Anyone used Tribike Transport for Kona? Again, I have used them for other ironmans but never one where the bikes needed to be shipped overseas.

-Alnternatively, any suggestions on airlines flying to Kona from the US with the best bike shipping policies?

-Finally, any other training tips for Kona? I'd be particularly interested to hear from others who have done ironmans prior to racing Kona but then came to Kona and learned something new that would have affected how they prepared for the race had they know it beforehand.

thanks in advance,
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
staying in town on Ali'i is good because you can walk everywhere or buy a town bike at Walmart and cruise around that way. We rented a condo one year just up the street from Lava Java and it was reasonably priced and reasonably free of cockroaches.

I liked getting there the Friday 8 days out from the race, but getting there by Monday is fine too, but no later than that. The week goes by very quickly and 4-5 days may be enough for heat acclimation if you stay active and do a reasonable volume of training. If you sit around in the air conditioning you won't get acclimated.

Staying close is also good for the family... there are the morning swims to the coffee catamaran, the farmers market, and other media events like the parade, the expo, the Underpants Run (TM), etc. etc. and not to mention the TGINR party on Friday night.

So, if you're solo you can do any of the overpriced motels on Ali'i like Uncle Billy's, etc. or you could go to any of the condo complexes on Ali'i if you have family or friends coming with.

jsmith wrote:
I was lucky enough to get into Kona via the lottery last week after 8 ironmans and a decade of trying to qualify or win the lottery. It would be a serious understatement to say I am incredibly excited. Given that this may be my one trip to the race in this lifetime, I want to do it right. This is gonna be a huge new expense this year but my wife is very supportive and we are working through the logistics now. I have the following questions I could use help with:

-What is a good amount of time to go for? For past ironmans I have usually gotten to the race site the Tuesday or Wednesday before and left the day after the race. Here I am thinking of flying out the Monday before the race and staying a couple days later to chill out. Any reason to get there sooner (or later) for heat acclimitization or any other reason I am not thinking about?

-Any insights on the best and worst places to stay? In town out of town? I have never been to the island but want to be able to go to swim at the pier most days and catch the scene but also relax most of the time pre-race.

-Anyone used Endurance Sport Travel for Kona? I used them for IM Brazil several years back and had a completely excellent experience and would be interested to hear from others who have used their Kona service. Also be interested to hear about any other services that were really good

-Anyone used Tribike Transport for Kona? Again, I have used them for other ironmans but never one where the bikes needed to be shipped overseas.

-Alnternatively, any suggestions on airlines flying to Kona from the US with the best bike shipping policies?

-Finally, any other training tips for Kona? I'd be particularly interested to hear from others who have done ironmans prior to racing Kona but then came to Kona and learned something new that would have affected how they prepared for the race had they know it beforehand.

thanks in advance,
Jack

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parade of Nations is on Tuesday afternoon. If you really want to soak it all up, I would recommend getting settled in before that...so Monday (or earlier) would be nice.

I got in last year through the Hawaii lottery, and flew in on Tuesday. It was only a 40 minute flight from Oahu for me, with no time zone change or heat acclimation to worry about. Logistically it was OK as far as checking in, going to the expo, underpants run, getting in a couple swims, ST party, etc...but if you're flying in from farther out, I do think you want to get there a little earlier.

There is A LOT to do race week and in general at Kona. Give yourself time to space those activities out so you aren't on your feet as much in the days leading to the race. Stay a few extra days after and save any tourist stuff for after the race unless of course the boss insists. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay for as long as you can afford to. Or else, they will have to drag you back home kicking and screaming.

Yes stay on Ali'i within a mile of the pier. Or so... whatever you are comfortable walking back and forth a few times. Or like someone said get a beater bike. I walk/trot whenever I can. Just booked a hotel for ITU Chicago within walking distance of Millennium Park. Last thing I need to worry about at 5 AM on race day is where to park the rental car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your Kona slot Jack! Check out VRBO.com for a vacation rental. Hotels get really expensive during Ironman, vacation rental prices go up also but its still pretty reasonable. Plus you will more then likely get a Kitchen so you can prepare your own pre race meals. Tribike Transport is the way to go. The airport is so damn busy during Ironman week and one less piece of luggage you have to worry about will be well worth it.

As far as racing goes. Be sure to ride in a lot of wind before coming to Kona. The winds on Queen Kaahumanu Highway is unreal. Last year the head wind coming back form Hawai were nasty. Try to soak up the entire Ironman Kona experience. Its nearly a once in a life time opportunity for guys like us (lottery winners) to race Kona. I say do the Parade of Nations, Underwear Run (especially this, its just fun), the Welcome Banquet, the Awards Banquet and whatever you can fit in without using too much energy. Oh yeah if you like burgers be sure to check out Village Burger in Waimea after the race. The local beef from Parker Ranch and truffle french fries are awesome!

Have a safe and fun experience man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in your exact position last year - lottery slot and thinking it be my only chance. Turns out I got the lottery again this year so see you there.

Anyways, to answer your questions.

I got there on Saturday before the race and stayed until Friday after the race. My wife and kids flew over on Wednesday and left with me on Friday. It was perfect. IM geek time before the race and then relaxation time after the race.

I stayed at a motel for the first few days by myself and the. At a condo for the rest of the stay through EST. Great service. I'm not using them again this year though as I feel I have a better handle on logistics and can book everything myself. Booked our condo a few days ago.

I also used TBT and everything went smoothly. I'll probably use them again this year. No complaints at all.

Good luck, congrats and enjoy the experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bike Transport all the way. I splurged a bit on TBT for Kona last year versus flying with my bike and it was totally worth every penny. Not having to lug the bike box around the airport or spend 2-ish hours assembling and disassembling the bike (and instead getting to spend it enjoying Hawaii - remember, your time on the island is limited!) seemed good enough ROI for such a destination event.

Not to mention I got stuck in the ICU for two days post-race and TBT went above and beyond customer service-wise to help me out. They worked with my dad to get the bike out of transition even without the bike check-out tag and to their racks since there was no way I could pick up in person. Really really great on TBT's part.

There are also a lot of VRBO, Homeaway, etc. type situations on the island and I would recommend that over a standard hotel room - it was really nice to have a mini kitchen and living room if you'll be there for 5-7 days.

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that if you have ever been to kona or got a lottery spot that's it and you can't ever apply again yet several people have had more than one lottery spot . What's doing ?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips [ballinatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of people think that but it's not the case. I wouldn't be opposed to that either, even before I got it the second time, but I doubt WTC would ever implement it. They'd just be giving up extra money. When I was in line for registration last year the guy in front of me was there for the second time via the lottery. Since getting it a second time myself, I've heard from someone that's actually gotten in via lottery three times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack,

Congratulations! you are in for a wonderful experience!

1. You plan to go on Monday is fine...I have always gone on Sat or Sunday. Stay as long as you can after the race...do you have family? Kona is a very different place from Tuesday on. We once stayed the whole week after - it was the best of my life!!

2. Usually rent a spectacular house! I like to be walking distance to the pier....parking is awful. OR, get a friend at the King K w/o a car to get you a parking pass.

3. I have always pieced together my own trip, but I have typically planned for family too.

4. TBT is the way to go!

5. You are NOT going to win or place in Kona (I don't think). So, make sure you enjoy the day. It is a very unpredictable place, other than hot, humid, and windy.

Best of luck!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips [ballinatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong on theis but I think the legacy lottery is the one you can only win once, regular lottery you can enter and win as many as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got in on the lottery, I used TriBikeTransport. They were great, but remember you won't have your bike until about Tuesday or Wednesday before the race. I was able to ride two big sections of the course on Wednesday (Havi) and Thursday (Ali'i to the airport and back). We swam most mornings (I got there Sunday).

I did not bother to rent a car. I got a cheap condo about 1.5 miles out of town on Ali'i Drive, only about $500 a week for a clean two-bedroom apartment on the ocean side. I bought a $25 stroller at Walmart to haul groceries back and forth. It was good to get those walks in a few times a day to burn off the nerves.

One other thing to make time for -- the free ART treatment. I broke my left arm at the elbow about six weeks before the race. I got doored, and the cast came off a couple of days before I arrived. The same chiro from Australia worked on my arm every single day before the race. It's free to registered athletes. I'd go to the ART tent right after the swim, shortly after they opened up. The range of motion on my arm improved a lot thanks to the daily swims and free ART treatment.

Ladies, there is a masters women's brunch that is with attending at the King K hotel on Thursday. I got to meet some of the women who were racking their bikes near me.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the great replies, really helpful stuff. I have been reading about the heat acclimation issue and we have a long flight from dc so I think we will fly in Sunday rather than Monday to get an extra day. I also think we are gonna use EST as its not a lot more than some of the condo alone prices we are seeing and minimizing hassles will be key to having fun since its my first time at kona. The condos we are looking at through EST are casa de emka, kona makai, kona riviera and kona reef - all along alii drive. If anyone stayed at any of them I'd love to hear what you thought. Thanks again for the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We stayed at Kona Makai last year and are staying there again this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did you pick that one and what did you like about it that you are going back?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I used TriBikeTransport. They were great, but remember you won't have your bike until about Tuesday or Wednesday before the race."
------------------------
Last year TBT was there a week before the race - I got in Sat evening and picked the bike up Sunday morning (after Church).
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona for a First Timer: Logistics Tips [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there in 2011, and might not be remembering accurately.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
Why did you pick that one and what did you like about it that you are going back?

We wanted to be close enough to the pier to be able to walk. It's about 1.5 miles from the pier.

Also, with 3 kids we needed a two bedroom and two bedrooms are harder to come by than singles. The top floor units at Kona Makai are actually loft units. Our had a single bedroom (king bed) plus the loft with a couple of beds up there.

Going back because it still fits our needs.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that vehicle traffic is a nightmare around Ali'i drive during race week and there is no parking. Expect to walk everywhere unless you are planning to go elsewhere off of Ali'i.

Places you likely need to walk to/from on race week.
Pier for swimming (I'm guessing multiple times)
Packet pickup/Merchandise Store
Expo (it's worth visiting several times)
Start of underpants run.
Parade of Nations
Athlete Welcome Dinner
Bike Check in

This doesn't count where you're going to eat, checking out the LBS, or other shopping. I suppose you could do that outside of Ali'i by driving, but I imagine you will do some walking around for this on race week as well.

As others mentioned, it may be a good idea to buy a walmart bike and bring a lock so you can roll around Ali'i as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at casa de emdeko for ironman in 2013. It was great. Lots of room & only about 1.5 miles from kona. It was an easy walk or run.
We arrived on a Friday & spent two weeks. It was a great experience & holiday. Pm me if you have any questions? cam.
Quote Reply