Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record!
Quote | Reply
It's not everyday that you get to be part of a World Record!

This year the annual Kona UnderPants Run is going for a World Record - http://www.underpantsrun.org/

Some history and context on the nuttiness and madness of the UnderPants run - http://stevefleck.blogspot.ca/...-ironman-hawaii.html

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 30, 14 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good, I was hoping to see a record in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record for the most people that can run around being narcissistic and looking like idiots?

;-P

Quote | Reply
 I'm saying in advance that any pictures posted of me in my underpants are fake.
Great way to blow off some steam pre-race and raise money for local charities.

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not something one should 'google' while at work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Largest Collection of Insufferable Egos In One Place?

Oh, and another unsolicited plug for your blog.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes indeed.

Part of the function of a great gathering place such as a forum like this the aggregation and curation of good content.

I share all kinds of information on here - others, my own, stuff I have found elsewhere. I contribute to threads. I help others.

In short, adding value to the whole thing.

In this case, I thought it would be helpful for those who don't know the history of the "why", of the UnderPants run to know.

You can choose to click on the link or not.

Hope you are having a great day!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

Thank you! He spams that blog every chance he gets.

And yeah the underpants run is pretty cringe-inducing.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
Record for the most people that can run around being narcissistic and looking like idiots?

;-P

Soon there will be an underpants run to make fun of the underpants run. The event itself has now become many times worse than what it was mocking in the beginning.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
Daremo wrote:

;-P

Soon there will be an underpants run to make fun of the underpants run. The event itself has now become many times worse than what it was mocking in the beginning.

This.

Pretty sure I will be doing something with my family that morning instead of participating in the UPR because I don't want to traumatize my kids with the sight of mom running around in her skivvies. They're 9 and I am guessing they would be mortified by the whole thing. Perhaps we should have a fully-clothed run for those of us who have it but choose not to flaunt it? I'm guessing I might be alone in that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh you're all too cool for school you lot.

The UPR is fun. No more no less. If you don't like it, don't go, but don't knock those who do.

I bet 9 yr olds would think it was hilarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only on Slowtwitch would people shit on a silly, fun event that allows us to not take ourselves so seriously for a few minutes and raises a bunch of money for local charities. It is the opposite of the narcissism and entitlement that most triathletes/triathlons are choking on.

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must not have a 9 year old daughter. She is mortified seeing my neighbor in his bathrobe getting his newspaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [newtotri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta thing you would expect from the ilk of Paul huddle and his cronies

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good point Gary, many miss the point that this event raises funds for local charities, 100% of the funds raised go to charity. The cost for going for the world record is quite high so organizers are asking everyone to pre-register for the event ahead of time and pick up their tiny winy bibs (6 x 3) at the Expo. Mylaps donated the bib tags, Sportstats will donate the timing or tabulation since no one is getting a time but we do need a system to count everyone. Should be a blast, anyone in Kona should sign up for the cause alone! Register today at: http://www.underpantsrun.org
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 10 year old did it with me last year and were doing it again this year. My 14 and 19 year old want no part of participating, this year or last, but they LOVED spectating it and thought it was a blast.

Plus, even if your daughter doesn't want to see you do it too bad. It's your job as a parent to embarrass her in a fun and jovial way. Get her out of her comfort zone a bit. I bet in the end she will enjoy the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marc,

You had me worried there. When I saw "Sportstats", I thought that the UnderPants run this year was going to be timed! :)

I'd have to start training . . like right now!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:
Daremo wrote:

;-P

I must concur with the distinguished (and very fast) gentleman from Sweden. This event has long since become a parody of nothing but itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. And so what? I think both of you are stuck with the original intent of the run ... which obviously has changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
Only on Slowtwitch would people shit on a silly, fun event that allows us to not take ourselves so seriously for a few minutes and raises a bunch of money for local charities. It is the opposite of the narcissism and entitlement that most triathletes/triathlons are choking on.
/

Not to mention that bunch of people who run around in spandex are obviously too ashamed to be seen in underwear... People wear more here than they do to the beach but oh think of the children!!! Dang this sport has a lot of whiners..
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baliman wrote:
Maybe. And so what? I think both of you are stuck with the original intent of the run ... which obviously has changed.

I think you just made my point.

The original run was aimed at the self-absorption (minus self-awareness) of elite triathletes. Fast forward a bunch of years and guess what it became? An even bigger convention of the self-absorbed, who are not so much ribbing themselves as they are preening for the crowd. I'm sure Roch and Paul like it to raise a few more bucks for their charity, so that's fine. Whatevs, guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona UnderPants Run going for a World Record! [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:
baliman wrote:

I think you just made my point.

The original run was aimed at the self-absorption (minus self-awareness) of elite triathletes. Fast forward a bunch of years and guess what it became? An even bigger convention of the self-absorbed, who are not so much ribbing themselves as they are preening for the crowd. I'm sure Roch and Paul like it to raise a few more bucks for their charity, so that's fine. Whatevs, guys.

I'm glad that this thread exists - relative to the history of the UP run I am a n00b (only 8years in tri). All of this time I had always viewed the underpants run as more of a parade than a parody. Now it makes much more sense that there are some people who show up all wrapped up in compression kit, visors and HR monitors. Until today I thought that those guys were tools, but now I see them as "getting it" more than anyone else. I feel kind of stupid for not realising this earlier. I bet that there are some who are recording it in their training logs though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gang I am traveling with is all excited to do the Underpants Run. We know of its history and the charities it's supports. I think it's also a wonderful way for not only us racers, but our support crew, to get involved in the festivities for the week. As far as narcissistic participants, my mom and dad are participating and they are 71! Some of my non-athletic gang will bonk in the 1.2!!!! Also, I am a mom of 6 and my kids would think the race was hilarious! I guess if you raise your kids on a pool deck with speedos, they are immune to neighbors in their bathrobes!
Last edited by: KSP: Oct 2, 14 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bjorn wrote:

I would think that the polar opposite of underpants might be something along the lines of a HazMat Suit, or old-time diving gear

I could be wrong

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

Daremo wrote:

;-P

Many people in the general population would say the same things about any triathlon in general.
Quote Reply

Prev Next