Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes
Quote | Reply
In years past, ST would have pics of the top finishers bikes along with the components they chose. Given that I cannot find that for this year's race....does anyone know what the tire choices were for any particular Pros (male & female). I saw Pott's FB post where he rode 4000sII....but he is the only I have info on.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going thru the Tririg pictures, there's LOTS of Conti's - from the protos that Sebi and Frodo always seem to be on to TTs to 4000sII - Ryf looked to be on Conti this year, Lionel, and Wurf as well, the Specialized kids were on Turbo Cottons looked like...a few Corsas. That's just what it looked like to me at least.

I would love it if Herbert was back on the Top 15 lists - missed those last year!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 90% sure that Sebi was on Supersonics.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the past, both he and Frodeno have had a tire up front with the 4000sII tread pattern - assuming for aerodynamics - with a smooth patterned rear which may/may not be the supersonic. I know they have been labeled prototype tires - and I assume that they are the same this year?

ETA - Sebi's bike in the presentation for Zipp/SRAM had it with Zipp tires, but obviously not those on race day. I saw a picture of Ryf with the Felt tires too - but her Triathlete bike pics were with 4000sII which makes sense with what she ran.

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Last edited by: dfru: Oct 18, 17 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brent,

Another vote for Conti 4000II S's. My wife and I spent a week riding putting in over 700km in a week. In Kona on the Queen-K and elsewhere on other roads, you do a lot of shoulder riding which means riding through a LOT glass. You just can't avoid it. No flats! :)

I say this because, seeing all the glass many would default to something like Gatorskins - you don't need to. As a I said four, fresh Conti 4000II S's (700x 25), made it through a week of a lot of riding with no flats.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are a great tire for sure. The two flats in the race that I saw were Tim Reed (Corsa i think, or the Bonty tire?) and Braden Currie (Specialized so I assume Turbo Cottons) so the Contis hold up well.

I decided to try the new Michelin Pro Competition tire this summer on the race wheels and they have been great, but I would have zero problems going back to the 4000sII at all!

700k - nice little week over there!

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am working on a 2017 story. I have the pics but it takes a couple weeks to gather the data.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I am working on a 2017 story. I have the pics but it takes a couple weeks to gather the data.

This is tremendous news. Thanks for the hard work!

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite a few folks whose bikes I witnessed were on the new Conti GP TT Ltd (supersonic tread about1.2mm thick mounted on GP 4000Sii casing) other the trusty GP 4000sii.

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I have 7 out of 15 females and 5 out of 16 males.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome!

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious if anyone was running the Pirelli's.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree - will be interesting to see more info coming down on these for sure.

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at TriRig's pics, seems like Lange is on Grand Prix TTs.

http://www.tririg.com/..._Race_Day&num=31

Compared to this pic.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Oct 25, 17 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Tires On Pro's Bikes [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
If you look at TriRig's pics, seems like Lange is on Grand Prix TTs.

http://www.tririg.com/..._Race_Day&num=31

Compared to this pic.

Lange's tires are listed as GrandprixTT but the front is the 111 prototype with the 4000s tread and the back is treadless like this one. You can see it scrolling thru the Triathlete article pics. I believe the same set up that Frodeno and Sebi have had over the last couple Kona races. Ahhh...the German special sauce!

http://www.triathlete.com/2017/10/ironman/kona-pro-bike-patrick-langes-canyon-speedmax-cf-slx_306748

Brent

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That prototype has been around since at least mid 2016....Sebi had it at Choo 70.3. Wonder why Conti isn't releasing it?
Quote Reply