Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent!
Quote | Reply
Here's my download of the Kona race. I went 9:43 this year vs 9:40 last year. I swam faster, biked a bit slower and ran exactly the same.

I was pretty happy with my race. Even though I only got 48th in my AG I feel it was the best I could have executed (except I would have liked to run a 3:15 instead of a 3:30, but that will take a more focused and specific run block to get right next time). Overall I feel like I can still make some big gains on the run, which I'm looking forward to doing! Oh, and I beat Apollo Ohno ;-)

Here is my report.

There is a short summary to start, with a more detailed account further down, and then a comparison of 2013 and 2014 at the bottom (edit: formatting went crazy so I copied the data into a linked google doc). I thought that would be interesting because there was only 2 minutes difference year on year. I biked a lot easier and was not much slower. Most of the reason for that I believe to be aero gains from new bike and position.
Summary:

Swim: 1:03
Very happy with the swim, the hours of training have paid off. Even though I was hoping for sub 60 min, going 63 min on a slower year was a result I was happy with, and set me up for a much easier bike ride. Total distance on my garmin was 2.7 miles, pace 1:28 / 100m
Bike: 5 hours flat.
IF 0.69, NP 226W, AP 205W, VI 1.10
The funny thing I was only 5 mins slower than 2013, on 10 watts lower NP, in tougher conditions. I attribute most of that to the new bike with a cleaner setup, more aero and most importantly enables a much more aero position. You can see in the pics below I’ve got a nice flat back (I was coasting down Kuakini here, I’m a little more upright when pedaling normally). I stayed in aero pretty much the whole way, except a few times I sat up on Hawi climb, and sometimes when being passed I had to sit up in order to fall back to legal distance. I’ve drawn up a comparison table of 2013 vs 2014 at the bottom which is some pretty interesting data. The Dimond was super stable in these conditions. Everyone will tell you how windy it was, this bike was rock solid.
Run: 3:30
Ran very conservatively up till the energy lab, with the goal of laying down the pace back on the Queen K. It went mostly to plan, except the last part. I just couldn’t pick it up in the last 10K (in fact I slowed). But overall I feel like I executed most of the race well.
Bike setup:
Dimond Superbike with di2, power2max PM, rotor 165mm cranks, zipp vuka stealth bars + bta mount, tririg omega brakes, zipp 808 rear, zipp 404 front. Torhans Aerobento with a hole cut in it for the di2 junction box. Dash TT9 saddle with Caffelatex mounted between the rails. Spare tube + co2 velcro’d onto the saddle and wrapped in 3M electrical tape. I really like my setup it’s nice and clean. The bike as you see it here is exactly how I raced it

[flat kit]

[race number bolted to seatpost - nice and clean]

[my setup enables me to stay pretty aero even while drinking]

Long version
Swim
Started just right of the large TYR pontoon. Had clear water for about 5 mins, until everyone merged, then it was pretty much white water until the turn. I swam wide and stayed left, then if any congestion happened I could just stay left and avoid it. The extra swim form paid off because everyone around me was a decent swimmer, meaning I had great feet to follow most of the time. With a slightly long course and my wide turns I swam 2.7 miles in 1:03 which I was happy with (1:28 / 100m avg pace) http://tpks.ws/kOUf
The way out was quite a bit faster than the way back (1:22 /100m out, 1:34/100m back)
T1
Up the stairs, took swim skin top off, hit the showers. I should have rinsed my eyes out - they were burning with salt for a good part of the ride. You then grab your bike bag and run to the change tent. I had a bottle of ensure in the bag, which I managed to easily chug by the time I hit the change tent. The volunteer helped me pull the top of my octane on - so that was pretty quick. However I ran out to my bike with my cap and goggles still on, so I ran back quickly to hand them to the volunteer. Grabbed the bike and off I went.
Bike
Coming out the water 4 mins faster than 2013 made a huge difference, because I started riding with a higher % of racers, instead of trying to catch them from behind. I kept it super easy for the first 30km. A few guys blasted past me on Kuakini but I just let them go. As for the others, there were some huge packs up until mile 20/30. These were really unavoidable due to so many athletes being out at the same time. I think the officials did a great job of enforcing the drafting rules, by letting everyone get sorted out for the first bit, then clamping down hard once everyone was out on the queen k. I was pretty lucky in that I was stronger than most riders in the packs, meaning I could just lay down constant power, and slingshot wheel to wheel for a long way while still being legal and not burning any matches (I was still riding well within myself, about 235 watts vs the 255 that I thought I would be riding at this part of the day). Most riders were doing their best to stay legal, but I saw some blatant wheel sucking too. I was happy to see a full penalty tent All the way to Waikaloa felt like a nice easy warmup - just past the resorts we were hit by a strong headwind and I managed to get clear of the packs pretty easily.

The cross winds were also pretty crazy - at one point I got blown all the way over to the left hand side of the road. There were still a few good riders out there so I had company most of the way up to the start of the Hawi climb.
As we started climbing up Hawi, the head/cross winds were pretty incredible. Even though we were climbing (relatively slowly), it was difficult to let go of the bars at all without losing control. At that point I was getting pretty worried about the descent, since we’d be hit by the same winds, but at 40mph+ downhill!
The Hawi turnaround came pretty quickly, and yet again the penalty tent was overflowing. This was the last time I saw any big packs - there will still a lot of riders out there but it was now very easy to stay legal. The Hawi descent was a lot easier than I was expecting. I coasted for most of it. My new Dimond bike was incredibly stable in the crosswinds, I didn’t have a single sketchy moment and it gave me a huge amount of confidence on these exposed windy sections.
A few guys blasted past me on the Kawaihae climb, but since I was already doing 300 watts I let them go!
Back the on Queen K, and it was into another headwind for a bit, before going through the most fun part of the day. Leading up to Waikaloa, a tailwind hit us and just pushed us along like crazy. I was doing 44 mph without even pedaling! At that point I was 3:45 into the ride, and a quick mental calculation had me thinking that a 4:3X would be on the card if this wind kept up. Unfortunately, 4 mins later we were hit by a headwind that slammed us right back to 18 mph, then 12 mph… ok, so back to a 5 hour estimate!
Guys were now dropping like flies - clearly the conditions had taken their toll! I kept it pretty even, just burning the occasional match to jump gaps. I kept on taking in water at the aid stations (one bottle at the beginning of the station, one at the end, drinking ¾ and dumping the rest on my back).
I was still feeling great at the 100 mile marker - which was surprising since I’m usually very ready to be done by 90 miles. The remainder was pretty comfy and I was now passing a lot of people. I rolled into T2 feeling nice and fresh - the litmus test being when you hand off your bike and try to run - in 2013 I was super wobbly and in 2014 I felt fresh and ready to run.
In T2 I changed out of the Octane and into a speedo + run singlet (great cooling!). I do lose quite a bit of time doing that so one day, if I’m in contention for a podium etc. I’ll probably just run in the Octane.
Run
I started the run feeling strong. My goal was to run 7:30/mile, which felt painfully slow for the first mile. I held the 7:30 for most of it, but them some weird quantum physics took place around 0.8 miles and I went through mile 1 in 6:59. I managed to hold around 7:30 pace for most of Alii drive, up until Palani hill where I walked. Back up on the Queen K I was still feeling strong, but running within my comfort zone like Kevin had told me to. I kept it comfortable all the way into the energy lab, and then stopped at special needs to pick up another bottle (next time I won’t do that). I walked again at various points up the energy lab hill then prepared to unleash the pace back on the Queen K. However, the unleashing wouldn’t come! As hard as I tried to push, there was no answer… my perceived effort was rocketing up and my pace was dropping. I calculated that I just needed to stick to 8:00/mile to beat my 9:40 from 2013, which I managed until mile 23 but then I did 3 x consecutive 9 min miles which put that plan to bed. I put in a 7:03 for mile 26 which made for a nice strong finish, but it wasn’t enough to sneak under my 2013 time. Still, on a tougher day, I was very happy with a time only 3 minutes slower.
Overall, I thought I executed the race really well. I still need to figure out the final part of the run, but I think with another couple of Konas I’ll be able to nail that too.
Next stop, Arizona! That’s going to be a super competitive race in M35-39, and I’ll actually be super lucky to KQ there. So my primary goal is to get a fast time (I’ve never raced a fast Ironman course, so looking forward to seeing what’s possible!)

2013 vs 2014
I thought it would be interesting to take a look at 2013 vs 2014. I originally pasted in a table here but it comes out in a weird format.
Here is a link to the data in a google doc

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: Oct 14, 14 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheres the speedo pics? ;)

Well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Rob!

Glad you weren't hampered by any mechanicals, like your previous race!

3 minutes slower on what seems like a markedly slower day (bike/swim-wise at least) is certainly something to be satisfied with.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fierceSun wrote:
Wheres the speedo pics? ;)

Well done.

hahah of course how could I forget? (and apologies to finisherpix but I'm not going to lay out $30 for a pic of me in a speedo!)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job, Rob! I will echo what the previous poster said, Only 3min. slower on a day where the conditions were probably 15min. slower then last year speaks well to your fitness. Based on your time and my experience in Hawaii and IMAZ, where I also have a 9:40 and 9:20, I say you go 9:15-9:20 here in Nov.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derf wrote:
Congrats, Rob!

Glad you weren't hampered by any mechanicals, like your previous race!

3 minutes slower on what seems like a markedly slower day (bike/swim-wise at least) is certainly something to be satisfied with.

you know what, even though I fully charged my di2 this time I was too paranoid to shift out of the big chainring...!

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Based on your time and my experience in Hawaii and IMAZ, where I also have a 9:40 and 9:20, I say you go 9:15-9:20 here in Nov.

That would be great Bryan. Maybe if I study your IMAZ swim course tips I'll slide in under 60 min for once!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Based on your time and my experience in Hawaii and IMAZ, where I also have a 9:40 and 9:20, I say you go 9:15-9:20 here in Nov.

That would be great Bryan. Maybe if I study your IMAZ swim course tips I'll slide in under 60 min for once!

Let me know if you need anything before heading out here and send me your contact info as well so we can meet up!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Quote | Reply
Dang! That is one sexy bike.
How did you deal with the ladies pawing at you during the race?

Congrats on a great day.

I like how you placed the number plate. Did you punch holes through it or is it pinched in there?

---edit---
Oh I see. The speedo repellant must've kept the ladies at bay.
Good work. ;)

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race! I love the look of the Dimond, but it doesn't appear there are many options for holding fluid. I only see 1 BTA bottle on your bike. Is that all you used for the race outside of quickly drinking water at the aid stations? I wonder if Dimond plans on adding more ways to mount bottles to the frame without compromising aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
The funny thing I was only 5 mins slower than 2013, on 10 watts lower NP, in tougher conditions. I attribute most of that to the new bike with a cleaner setup, more aero and most importantly enables a much more aero position.

Rob, first off good performance.

I just have a couple queries on the bike performance and am interested in your thoughts:

• your NP was 10W (4%) lower than 2013, but overall time was 5min slower (despite the windier conditions). What do you think your time would have been if you held the same power as last year?
  • Do you think the lower power could have been because of the "more aero" position, or another reason?
  • I see from the comparison doc you had a VI of 1.1 this year vs 1.06 yast - maybe this caused the slightly worse run performance at the end?

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha thanks Chris... Whaaaat? There are no ladies where I'm racing ;-)

Well, except on the run there are plenty which is the main reason for the speedo repellant!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

Well I was prognosticating that the IM Brazil peloton was going to make a celebrity appearance behind you on the ride to Hawi....OK OK....I appreciate that the camera angles don't do the guys behind you justice, but athletes must save 100W just following 10 m behind those quads.

Nice race. We still have to do that Mt. Hamilton run, but I don't think you want to do that the week before IM Arizona when I am in your neighbourhood again!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [cvrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cvrider wrote:
Congrats on a great race! I love the look of the Dimond, but it doesn't appear there are many options for holding fluid. I only see 1 BTA bottle on your bike. Is that all you used for the race outside of quickly drinking water at the aid stations? I wonder if Dimond plans on adding more ways to mount bottles to the frame without compromising aero.

I chose to race with a single bottle.
I get 4 bottles on the Dimond during training.
3 behind the saddle, 1 between the arms.
http://instagram.com/...wQDEMXOG/?modal=true

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [cvrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cvrider wrote:

yeah, good point. I actually have a bottle mount on the saddle, I just don't use it in Kona because there are aid stations every 7 miles so I don't need more. I was done with the 800 calories BTA by Hawi so after that I would keep the aid station bottles. For other races I'll probably use one behind the seat too. It looks like there is enough room in the frame for Dimond to possibly consider a bladder as an option.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha - I included that pic just for you Dev!

Going back to our conversation we had in St Croix, it turned out pretty much as you said. Those small 3 mins on the swim made my bike one of the most comfortable I've had.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
your NP was 10W (4%) lower than 2013, but overall time was 5min slower (despite the windier conditions). What do you think your time would have been if you held the same power as last year?

It's really hard to say, maybe 4:55? I was very surprised to see 4:59 on my garmin as I rolled in. Many of the similar guys in my AG were between 5-10 min slower, but at this stage I have no idea what their power was. IMAZ might be a good comparison vs other riders because there are less variables than Kona.

SAvan wrote:
Do you think the lower power could have been because of the "more aero" position, or another reason?

Lower power was due to a conscious effort to ride easy (and in the first 30 miles, no real choice due to the large packs) . I can actually get more power in the more aero position if I need to.

SAvan wrote:
I see from the comparison doc you had a VI of 1.1 this year vs 1.06 last - maybe this caused the slightly worse run performance at the end?

that may very well be possible. I did feel super fresh at the beginning of the run, though. I need to dive into the data a bit, but most of my "spikes" this year were not super hard - I was surprised to see a higher VI when comparing. Coming back on the Queen K I was spiking quite a bit jumping gaps - and because of the strong wind, the spikes could have been quite high..

Last edited by: robgray: Oct 15, 14 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

One more question: why is your timing on the right, and is that duct taped down!?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The athlete guide insisted on it being right (no idea why, I usually go left).
Yes I used duct tape to clean it up aero wise. Not sure how much difference it makes but exposed Velcro and chip seems like it would have some small aero penalty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race, and thanks for posting the report! From one of your recent posts, you've convinced me to visit Ero for a new bike fit, so I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks. Also drooling over that Dimond. Between yours and Borden's testimonials/reports, I am already writing the script on how to convince my wife that a new super bike is an absolutely necessary purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [AdamHill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdamHill wrote:
you've convinced me to visit Ero for a new bike fit, so I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks.

good! I wish I had done that 3 years ago!

AdamHill wrote:
Also drooling over that Dimond. Between yours and Borden's testimonials/reports, I am already writing the script on how to convince my wife that a new super bike is an absolutely necessary purchase.

nice... the trick is to get the Dimond painted so that it looks similar to your current bike, and then just swap them out without her noticing. Sometimes it helps to have something really bright (like a red saddle, or red handlebar tape) that you transfer to the new bike. That upholds the illusion that you in fact have the same bike. The main problem with the Dimond is that it doesn't look like any other regular bike, so we may be back to the drawing board on that one, and actually have to convince her for real...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice race report.
Hey - how do you like that Dash saddle??? I'm looking to make a switch.

I'm just one 50-mile race away from my goal weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report - at least I'm consistent! [4tridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4tridad wrote:
Nice race report.
Hey - how do you like that Dash saddle??? I'm looking to make a switch.

i love the dash. Beautifully crafted and very comfortable. The only thing to be aware of, is that if you mount a bottle on it, it's quite difficult to get to the bottle. For me, that's ok, because I only need to do it once during a race (when I'm done with bottle #1 between the bars, I chuck it and grab the one behind the seat). I wouldn't want to do it often, requires some semi-contortionist moves...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply

Prev Next