Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Race Report (mostly photos)
Quote | Reply
The view from the hotel balcony on arrival, at the Royal Kona...surf was up!

I was "digging" the swim start:

Great local flavor on Dig-Me Beach:

Parade of Nations:

Bike course recon pics:

The take from some trick or treating via bike on Alii Drive:

And of course, the underpants run (a required element in such a report):

Nice pre race meal at Sam Choy's overlooking Keauhou and Kailua, incredible menu and view! Bento with Spam!!: (and a Longboard)

Got to hear Macca at the Sports Medicine conference I attended (caused me to miss most of the Slowtwitch gathering though ;(

Race day is here; it's go time! transition pics:

Okay a brief pause in the pics for executive race report

Swim: 1:17 and change for me, about what I expected, took it easy as I didn't want a replay of the TX calf cramps...heard and saw spinner dolphin during swim...very little contact...easy swim

T1 and T2: 6 minutes combined, relatively quick!

Bike: 5:21...felt pretty good the whole way...though not a windy day by Kona standards, there certainly were challenges relative to what I'm used to...held a pretty steady 175W avg, 185 normalized and overall 21 mph...winds out to Hawi directly in face on the way out, working hard for 11 mph, then 37-42 mph with the tail! All on course nutrition for me, mixture of coke, gels, and Perform...aimed for 150-200 cal per aid station

Run: 3:40...ran mostly 8's down Alii and to the energy lab, where the energy suddenly vanishes, then 9's on in and hurting...felt great at mile 21 and awful at 22, laid off the coke and took on some pretzels which helped...last mile downhill a load of fun...I regret that I didn't soak everything in more once down on Alii and really enjoy that last quarter mile

Overall 10:26, very pumped as I had a solid race and beat goal of 10:30...of course I wanna come back and make a bit more of a run for the top once I age up...gotta find a BUNCH of minutes though...incredible fast times at the top of 45-49 and 50-54

Recovery at Huggo's on race night:

The day after the race we went swimming amongst hundreds of spinner dolphins, which were located right off the shore at the energy lab of all places. Absolutely incredible experience!!

This one was close enough to touch:

And then a different type of recovery:[/img]

Last night's sunset at the Royal Kona bar:

I always thought Kona was about qualifying, racing, and individual achievement...but now that I'm home I realize that's only a small part of the picture. And it's really hard to put into words just why it's such a special event. The island culture and language, the scenic beauty, the rich triathlon history, the pre-race buzz, the presence of so many industry reps, and of so many athletes, spectators and family members who aren't racing all add to the experience. And as a participating athlete, you're absolutely treated like royalty everywhere you go. The volunteers must outnumber the participants, and they are fantastic ( I especially liked the "touch up artist" who followed the race number stamper, assuring that each number was perfect). Oh yeah and the pre race swims and socializing at the coffee boat, watching the scene at Lava Java and along Alii, the world's best cup of coffee (really ;)) at Java on the Rocks (the Three Stone), people with cameras everywhere all week (Herbert!), the Slowtwitch gathering, the Expo...yep definitely a place to return whether racing, volunteering, or just hanging out and spectating.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Last edited by: Terra-Man: Oct 11, 11 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SPAM??

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect race report.

The pictures say so much more than the words can, and congrats on an awesome race and experience!

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [ATL Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ATL Dad!

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Spam, a Hawaiian staple, and pretty dang good!

And I'm glad you piped in...I met Jenny from Cedar Rapids in the tram at DFW on the return trip yesterday...she says she's been trying to talk you into racing Ironman distance for years! What gives? ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic. I wish every race report was like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing post, thanks for sharing your photos and experience.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great photos, human side of race. Really nice insight, thanks! Congratulations on a fine race too!

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:

It's not too often I open up a thread & see an ex girlfriend..! Thanks man!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha...that's funny

Last edited by: Terra-Man: Oct 11, 11 16:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok buddy, this is my first post here on slowtwitch in honor of your great race. It was great keeping up with you all day! Awesome day and you deserved a great day with all the hard work! Great report and pics. U da man!

Http://darkhorsemultisport.blogspot.com :Riding the Awesome Train with Darkhorse Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. Great pics. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [C Rose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C Rose wrote:
Ok buddy, this is my first post here on slowtwitch in honor of your great race. It was great keeping up with you all day! Awesome day and you deserved a great day with all the hard work! Great report and pics. U da man!

Yes, he is.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
Yes Spam, a Hawaiian staple, and pretty dang good!

And I'm glad you piped in...I met Jenny from Cedar Rapids in the tram at DFW on the return trip yesterday...she says she's been trying to talk you into racing Ironman distance for years! What gives? ;)

Ha..the six degrees of Triathlon separation :-) Jenny Lorenz works hard at the sport and is an awesome athlete.

I'm dipping my toe into the Long Distance world on November 5th in Las Vegas. Hopefully, it will go well and there will be more on the horizon.

And before I forget...congratulations on a great race!
You deserved it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice work and great pics.. congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great RR.

My favorite- anyone else see the Gentleman wearing the "AIRBRUSH THIS" Rev3 logoed speedo? Classic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU Worlds...cool! Will be watching for you!...and thanks for the props

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great pics! Thanks for posting.

BTW, how is that new GU Island Nectar flavor? I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Larkin.....guys like you give us inspiration.

The other day, one of my friends set it as a goal to qualify for Kona at 50. I thought....no, its more impressive doing what Larkin did which is to do the Vegas + Kona double as one of the oldest guys in the age group at 49, competing with all the young 45 year olds....there is a massive drop off in performance in those years, but you really set the bar high.

So assuming I can get my health back to 100%, this will be my long term goal for 49.

Agreed 1000% that it is hard to describe the feeling of racing in Kona unless you go do. There is just something extra special that you cannot get at other events.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [TrueGrit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't tried the Island Nectar...and it may be some time before I do, unless it works well in a drink with an umbrella ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks Dev...thought about you during the ride when another competitor suddenly veered left into my path without checking behind (and I was WAY wide of him at the time)...very close call...it can all change in an instant.

I'm sure you'll get back fully! And I'd like to think it'll get easier at 50, but as you know, it's a crap shoot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First jealous of a 18year old running 16 minute 5k's and now jealous of a old geezer, what a night ;0)
Great race and report looks like you had the time of your life hope you enjoyed it as much as it looks. I agree pictures tell it all

Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I resemble that remark!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome race report from an awesome guy!!!! Way to go larkin.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Race Report (mostly photos) [bamatriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eugene...look forward to some long training rides next year!

Quote Reply

Prev Next