Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona RR
Quote | Reply
First time in Kona and a few thoughts.

Overall, 10:01:59, 59th in M40 AG.

Swim: 59minutes
Violence and daftness as can be expected. The water was beautiful....I tried to remember all the pleasant memories I had from earlier in the week...swimming on my own with a pod of dolphins for company. Lifelong swimmer, love OWS, but there were a couple of moments where I felt overwhelmed...with no way forward and guys from the back ready to climb over. I had to stop a few times and after the turn I headed to the left for space...it was a longer distance, but I just couldn't withstand the physical brutality any longer. I have a nice bruise in my mid-section and a large cut on my shoulder from someone's toenail...nasty. Was VERY happy to get out of the water. Decent time...but I easily left 6-8 minutes on the table had I positioned myself more aggressively at the start.

[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...Swim%20Exit.jpg.html][/url]

Bike: 5:16 including 5 minutes in the PT...will get to that!
Bike started off amazing...averaging 39km/h heading out on the Queen K, turning a comfortably big gear. Was riding in a line of (mostly) draft legal riders. A few guys got picked off...one or two very deservedly, a couple I thought were far more borderline from the perspective of observing the flow of the pack as some very strong riders were overtaking. I concentrated on my race and respecting the rules; all was going well.
Heading up to Hawi, the string of riders began to collapse into a pack on the longer hills. I was overtaking a rider who turned out to be Pro Ruth Brennan Morray...she launched a snot rocket or just a lot of sweat that hit me directly in the face. She apologize profusely and I laughed it off, encouraged her as it was obvious she was having a tough day. Then bam...blue card...initially for drafting. I didn't argue but I was confused...I was at least 8 bike lengths back from the group ahead (where many were riding 2 or 3 abreast as the started on the hill.) Then the marshal changed his tune and said I was in a blocking position for taking too long to make the pass. Maybe that was true, (I think I was under the time limit) but even if I did take too long to pass, it felt like the right thing to do to pause and offer encouragement. After the turn around in Hawi the PT was a joke. (Never been called before so I don't know if this is normal.) 2 guys, one marking the number cards, and the other "timing." Interestingly...5 minutes took 7:21 as he "timed" the infraction with his Garmin...CLOCK..not stop watch. "Yes, you, at 10:47 you can go." I can accept the penalty but man that was amateur hour in the PT tent!

Rode fast and furious after release, and burned a couple of matches making progress down the hill. And like you've all heard by now...HEADWINDS. Super tough the last 45km back and a lot of guys sat up and spun it out. Kept my head down, turning the cranks, and thinking of how I could improve my situation. Funny enough...the drafting became EGREGIOUS and not a marshal to be see the entire way back and the PTs both empty. So "blocking" on a hill is a 7:21 infraction, and snaking across the road back and forth while the front rider tried to drop the 5 guys behind is fine as long as it's on the rolling flats into the wind where drafting really helps is ok? Sigh! Every time I was passed, it was a group of 10-15 guys riding together. Having been called out once, I just dropped back as fast as I could and smiled...hey...this is Kona! But the last hour on the bike was certainly one of the toughest hours I've ever spent on a bike....legs felt used up, progress was slow, and my mind was wondering how I would run at all after the beating my legs were absorbing!

[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...0Blue%20Sky.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...0Rd%20Climb.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...0Scenery%20.jpg.html][/url]
Run 3:37
The run was actually a lot of fun for me and my legs felt awesome. Not my fastest, but I ran at a controlled pace and pretty sure I have a negative split or close to it. In ways, I felt I could have pushed the pace more, but with the number of guys I came up on who were walking...that did not seem the wise strategy on a day like yesterday. Some very very fit and strong guys...and they looked shattered.

It was insanely hot, but the aid stations were frequent, and lots of people with water hoses on Ali'i. Out on the Queen K, the wind was now welcome, and just as I approached the Energy Lab, high level clouds had blown in and finally offered some relief. The Energy Lab felt awesome, and I certainly enjoyed the music and smell of BBQ coming from somewhere near the Red Bull aid station. On the way out, I saw the first of my regular training partners, as well as Melissa Hauschildt walking into the Energy Lab talking with someone. Huge respect to the pros who have a bad race but finish it. HUGE. The run in was uneventful...and when I turned from Hualalai onto Ali'i Drive, I got goosebumps...it was everything I hoped it would be and more. Taking in the crowd after having lived in my head for 10 hours of virtual silence (aside from my chatty penalty) was an awesome juxtaposition.

[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...Run%20Sweet.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...lii%20Drive.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...s%20Scenery.jpg.html][/url][/url]
[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...va%20fields.jpg.html][/url]
[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...he%20Finish.jpg.html][/url]

Good decisions:

1. Putting on my Zoot arm covers in T1. Almost didn't do it; I saw some horrific sunburns post-race. Well worth it!
2. Putting my head down, staying aero, and not giving up on the last segment of the bike.
3. Keeping the penalty and the PT tent far from mind; I am surprised how this didn't bother me.
4. Stopping to kiss my wife on Ali'i Drive before heading up Hualalai to the Queen K. What a partner I have!

Mistakes:
1. Swim positioning. I finished 17th in my AG for the swim; should have had more confidence in myself and lined up on the front and gone hell for leather for the first 800m. Would have been a lot faster, and probably a lot easier than spending 35 minutes in the washing machine and then going the long way around on the way back.
2. Chatting. Just dumb I guess. Still...no regrets and I respect the marshal's call.
3. Missing the high five offered by a young girl...felt rude and disrespectful...I'm sure my eyes were looking at her, but my brain didn't register what I was seeing in time. Her face....her face....sorry!

First time in Kona, second Ironman ever....I've got no regrets about my race and lots of motivation! To everyone who finished, congratulations!
[URL=http://s147.photobucket.com/...Line%20Cool.jpg.html][/url]
Last edited by: Darren325: Oct 12, 15 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats and well done. Kona is a magical experience! U handled the penalty well and there are clearly lots of penalty errors both ways. Ultimately would benefit from a tech solution....

Anyways well done....excellent time!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race report, and more importantly a great race.

Unlucky not to break 10 hours, but given the circumstances in the swim and the nature & length of your penalty, I think you should get a pass on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good report. With the few pictures, would be excellent :)
Well done!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea...I added the pics...sorry for the extra URLS in the post...I'm pretty much useless with computers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your finish.

One question about this comment:

Quote:
Decent time...but I easily left 6-8 minutes on the table had I positioned myself more aggressively at the start.

8 mins faster would have been 51 and only a few seconds behind the Potts group. 6 mins faster would have been a 53 which is just behind the main pro pack. What makes you think you could have seriously swum with these guys? Plus, as far as I can tell there were only a handful of age groupers in the 55-56 range. With a few more in the 57-58 range. A 59 this year appears to be pretty darn good.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Congrats on your finish.

One question about this comment:

Quote:
Decent time...but I easily left 6-8 minutes on the table had I positioned myself more aggressively at the start.

8 mins faster would have been 51 and only a few seconds behind the Potts group. 6 mins faster would have been a 53 which is just behind the main pro pack. What makes you think you could have seriously swum with these guys? Plus, as far as I can tell there were only a handful of age groupers in the 55-56 range. With a few more in the 57-58 range. A 59 this year appears to be pretty darn good.

Fair question. In training I can regularly hit those numbers. In the pool, (50M), no flips turns, regular swim suit, I can go 50-51 for 3800m for a hard session. I was feeling very good in the water yesterday, but had to stop several times. Let me rephrase that...I chose to stop several times to avoid the beating I was taking and intentionally swam off-course far enough to find open water. In the circumstances of a mass start, (everything I experienced was entirely normal) I agree 59 was good. If it were a wave start with space to swim directly A to B, I'm certain I could have gone faster and expended less energy. I tend to swim best with a long smooth stroke, something that is not possible in a crowded swim. In the end, though, logella, for the conditions of the race, I did the best I could and could not have gone faster in the situation...unless I started from the front and was able to keep out in front till the pace settled in. As it was, the front line of guys was going over the line...and with 1 or 2 minutes to the gun, the announcer, who was telling them to get back, said "C'mon guys, don't make us start writing numbers." In terms of my performance, 59 put me at 17th in my AG (M40) on the swim...so yes...not complaining about that!

Like I said..Kona newbie! Other mass starts I've done have been from the beach where the self-seeding is more organized or wave starts with 6 swimmers going off every 5 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice write up, always interested in how people manage nutrition and power numbers on the bike if you don't mind sharing? Good job!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:

Rode fast and furious after release, and burned a couple of matches making progress down the hill. And like you've all heard by now...HEADWINDS. Super tough the last 45km back and a lot of guys sat up and spun it out. Kept my head down, turning the cranks, and thinking of how I could improve my situation. Funny enough...the drafting became EGREGIOUS and not a marshal to be see the entire way back and the PTs both empty. So "blocking" on a hill is a 7:21 infraction, and snaking across the road back and forth while the front rider tried to drop the 5 guys behind is fine as long as it's on the rolling flats into the wind where drafting really helps is ok? Sigh! Every time I was passed, it was a group of 10-15 guys riding together.

Great report and pictures. My head would have exploded if I had gotten a blocking penalty only to be passed by groups on the way back.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
nice write up, always interested in how people manage nutrition and power numbers on the bike if you don't mind sharing? Good job!

In terms of power numbers, how I manage them is...I don't. I had a PM for a while and found I focused on it too much to the detriment of using my senses that I've always relied on. This is not a slam on PMs at all; I just need more time to practice and train with power to get the balance between data and sensation right.

For nutrition, my plan was to keep things very simple and it worked out fairly well I think.
Breakfast: 1.5 bagels, a piece of chocolate chip french bread from my favourite bakery near where I live in Taipei. (I almost always eat this pre-morning trainings...it's not about the calories...it's about telling my body what's about to happen!)
40 minutes or so pre-swim I had half an energy bar.

Bike: I had 3 Hammer Oatmeal/Apple bars and 2 GU Salted Caramel Gels in my Xlab bento box at the start. So...yes...I am fine with sweet things. Had a gel as soon as I hit the short out and back loop in town to get the stomach moving and get rid of the taste of ocean that lingered in my mouth.
By the turn around in Hawi, I had eaten 1.5 of the bars, both gels, taken a gel at an aid station, and drank approximately 600ml of Gatorade Endurance, and a mouthful or two of Coke at the aid station.
Coming back on the bike, my remaining hammer gels had melted into the packaging, making getting at them harder. (I pre-opened the bars in the morning, but they were firmly stuck inside the wrappers!) Never had this problem before as in the past I carried food in the back pockets of my old tri suit, something the LG Course does not have. When my speed began to flag, I increased my consumption of Coke on the course; Coke was serve in bottles that were about half-full, and I drank about half of that. Also took on about 800ML of Gatorade. Debated on the cans of Red Bull as I knew the caffeine would help me over the bump I was in, but decided not to push things too far with caffeine with 42.2km to run. Came off the bike feeling much better than I did about 75% of the way through the bike.

Run: Each aid station I took the sponges and one drink, alternating between coke, red bull, and water, basically depending on the flow of people through the aid station. I tried to eat a gel which turned out to be Root Beer flavor, and made it through only 20% of that before the body said know. In total I would say I ate 6 packs of GU chomps. (I think 4 cubes in each pack if I'm not mistaken.) I'm a huge fan of chomps for the run...they don't upset my stomach the way a gel can and I'm flavor agnostic. I also took 4 salt tablets during the run. I found my sweat rate was quite low for the heat/humidity...I train in similar conditions. Initially I was worried I must be so dehydrated I had nothing to sweat out, but I did have to urinate several times throughout the run...LG Course tri wicks pee as good as anything...and timing is everything...making sure the upcoming aid station had sponges remaining to keep things reasonably civil. Tried a banana to get some solid food, but that wasn't feeling great either, so relied on the electrolytes in the tablets.

I think many people can help me by pointing out all the mistakes I made in nutrition. But I felt like I never hit the wall, never hungry or thirsty and so I might have just stumbled into what works for me and then build in ongoing improvements from there. Like I said, this was only my 2nd Ironman, and you only know how you feel based on what you did that day; not sure if I did something different I'd feel better or worse. No bonk, no walking, my kidneys still talk to me and I felt SWEEEEEET after the race so I will call that a good day nutrition wise.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far...it's like another RR after the initial fairly long RR! One day I'll be looking back on this thread through the eyes of my future experiences laughing at all the dumbass things I did without knowing how silly they were.

As for the penalty and then getting passed by the drafters...strangely...in Kona, it just didn't matter to me at all. I wasn't competing for AG honors; I just wanted to do the best race I could. I hope I can always carry this attitude in every event I do....it is sooooo much better to only worry about what I'm doing, let others do what they do, and if the officials step in great, if not, that's fine too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also thought 6-8min was a little too generous. Often when we race, it's hard to tell how much time actually passes.

Perhaps Darren can share the time he swam & course for his KQ?

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First let me say - So jealous! Like a lot of AGers Kona is the dream for me.

Second - awesome race report. Loved the pics the and details! Thanks for taking the time to write it, and congrats on the achievement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it just me or did you forget to unzip your Tri suit a little? It just looks so uncomfortably hot, especially black, but maybe it was ok. Also, black cycling shoes, phew, also, looks uncomfortable. Other than that, nice effort on a tough day and with the mishap. Penalties are never fair in the eyes of the beholder, but you do have reason to be troubled by the mass draft fest at the end. It never plays out evenly for the AGers.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona RR [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
urbantriathlete wrote:
I also thought 6-8min was a little too generous. Often when we race, it's hard to tell how much time actually passes.

Perhaps Darren can share the time he swam & course for his KQ?

Hey there...I swam 52 and small change, wetsuit legal swim at IM Taiwan; two loop course with a struggle up a sandy beach for 10metres to the timing matt. In the pool, my wetsuit only gives me about 2 minutes free speed over the Roka swim skin I wore Saturday, and like I said, I had been killing it in the pool leading up to Kona...52 non-wetsuit would have been hard for me...but the conditions were awesome for a fast swim aside from the crowds....coming back in I was able to get some good rhythm coming down the rollers that were coming from the left giving me some extra momentum..so I really think do-able...but irrelevant now...and get it done in the future for real!

As for the heat and not unzipping....the LG Course-2 is the shizz...felt soooooo good in that thing all day. I kept it zipped up because I honestly felt cooler with it zipped up and it kept the cool sponges in place for the minute or so they stayed cool. Heat certainly slows me down, but as I live in Taiwan, I'm totally used to heat and humidity so it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. Even if the LG Course were not faster for me, I'd still wear it for pure comfort. I will try out using the chest pockets for energy bars before my next race (Nov 1 IM 70.3 Taiwan...only no recovery batman!) I think they would be comfortable on the bike, but I doubt they'd be comfortable for the run...in which case I use my fuel belt anyhow.
Quote Reply