Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Pro Power Files
Quote | Reply
For the stats geeks like me. Add to the list if you can:

Joe Skipper: https://www.strava.com/...s/410718835/overview
Michael Weiss:https://www.strava.com/...s/411084614/overview
Tim Van Berkel ("Popped with 40k to go"): https://www.strava.com/...s/411054332/overview
Callum Millward: https://www.strava.com/...s/411135835/overview
Jeff Symonds (maybe up until his crank broke): https://www.strava.com/...s/411752810/overview

Angela Naeth: https://www.strava.com/...s/410496858/overview
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [noahman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well looks like 2013 was still quite a bit faster for the first 55.7 miles.

Thanks for putting these together, seems Skipper was about 20W lower in Kona than IMUK.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are usually more posted from the people at TP

Frederik van Lierde - http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...6KKFAMZN36MJBLDODGJQ

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan Rapp (that's me): http://www.strava.com/activities/411955492

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Angela Naeth put out more power than Callum Milward and went 6 minutes slower? Something doesn't seem right about those numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
So Angela Naeth put out more power than Callum Milward and went 6 minutes slower? Something doesn't seem right about those numbers.

Callum's powermeter is f'ed. I keep meaning to tell him at races. He posts a ton on Strava, and his power:speed is always so absurdly far off as to be impossible.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Tim Van Berkel? His 231 W can't be accurate either.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [martman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
martman wrote:

Berks is pretty light. I mean, maybe it reads a bit low, but I don't think it's that far off. He only weighs like 145lbs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
martman wrote:

Berks is pretty light. I mean, maybe it reads a bit low, but I don't think it's that far off. He only weighs like 145lbs.

How much lower do you think? I of am of similar weight, similar gear, and (dare I say) quite similar position and I'm nearly a mph behind at 231...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1mph ~= 650sec over 180km ~= 10min over 4.5hrs ~= 25w difference.

If his reads say 5% low, that could easily explain the difference. But "similar gear" is a tough comparison...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am ~7lbs heavier than Berkel. I ride 180k at the same power as his Strava says yet no where near as fast 22-23mph. Gotta work on my aero. Also a bit of a reality check that I almost without doubt over biked.

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice overview!

I think this really shows the difference in dynamics between the mens and womens race - check out Angela Naeth's power-file vs the top men. Naerth's powergraph looks just like a ride on the trainer - dead steady output. Compared to this the mens powergraphs look like road-races, with a lot more surges and coasting. F.ex- FVL has a top 1min power of over 450w and top 5min power of over 370w! That's pretty rough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"his power:speed is always so absurdly far off as to be impossible. "
----------------------------
This is interesting. I tend to compare MY power numbers to MY power numbers. I so often see power numbers that just don't make sense (at least compared to mine). So, whether my meter is right or not (I think it is very close) at least I am comparing my apples to my apples.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Supersquid wrote:

Callum's powermeter is f'ed. I keep meaning to tell him at races. He posts a ton on Strava, and his power:speed is always so absurdly far off as to be impossible.

Last I knew, he rode Stages, sooooooo......

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"his power:speed is always so absurdly far off as to be impossible. "
----------------------------
This is interesting. I tend to compare MY power numbers to MY power numbers. I so often see power numbers that just don't make sense (at least compared to mine). So, whether my meter is right or not (I think it is very close) at least I am comparing my apples to my apples.

Unless you get a new power meter, then it will not be apples to apples. So it is a good idea to have an accurate numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
martman wrote:

How much lower do you think? I of am of similar weight, similar gear, and (dare I say) quite similar position and I'm nearly a mph behind at 231...

I must be a barn door in the wind. I weigh around 145 as well, but it takes me pushing 250-260 watts to average 23mph, let alone 24.4.

My FTP as last tested was 280 so pushing 250 watts for anything longer than an Oly is not really part of the picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the name of the ride. Sorry to hear about the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I must be a barn door in the wind. I weigh around 145 as well, but it takes me pushing 250-260 watts to average 23mph, let alone 24.4.

Yep you are a barn door. I am bit under 140 and I can do 23.1 with less than 205 watts (I do not have data on me, but I believe last year at nationals I did something like 23.2 on 195, the 205 was on a much hillier course).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what's Callum's height and weight?
Last edited by: sp1ke: Oct 13, 15 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
noofus wrote:

Yep you are a barn door. I am bit under 140 and I can do 23.1 with less than 205 watts (I do not have data on me, but I believe last year at nationals I did something like 23.2 on 195, the 205 was on a much hillier course).

Hmm... excuse to buy a new bike? I can't get any lower on the front end of my current bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Pro Power Files [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Hmm... excuse to buy a new bike? I can't get any lower on the front end of my current bike...

Obviously a new bike is required. Of course, there is a possibility depending on your current aerobars, that swapping to different aerobars could allow for a lower pad position (such as one that mounts the pads directly to bar).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Thanks, Jordan. I really liked your write-up too - glad you were able to stick it out.

I understand why your bike was off, but it seemed like overall the pro men's bike times were relatively slower this year. Any ideas why? Seemed like better conditions and less wind than last year -- just the dynamics of the race? Of course "slower" is certainly relative, like the commentators in the Chicago Marathon calling the 2:09 pace "pedestrian" (and that was certainly a case of race dynamics).

I don't know if you've commented on this (or if you want to), but I wondered how your speed/power relationship (i.e. CdA) has changed since you've been on the Dimond. Twelsiek certainly rocked it, for example going 2' faster than FVL on 14 fewer watts (& he's a bigger guy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we can take away 3 things from this data so far:

1. Those Xentis 5 spoke wheels are for shit.
2. The Dimond is a frame which excels in the kind of wind we saw (and usually see) at Kona.
3. Jordan Rapp gets one more point in the BAMF category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noahman wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Thanks, Jordan. I really liked your write-up too - glad you were able to stick it out.

I understand why your bike was off, but it seemed like overall the pro men's bike times were relatively slower this year. Any ideas why? Seemed like better conditions and less wind than last year -- just the dynamics of the race? Of course "slower" is certainly relative, like the commentators in the Chicago Marathon calling the 2:09 pace "pedestrian" (and that was certainly a case of race dynamics).

I don't know if you've commented on this (or if you want to), but I wondered how your speed/power relationship (i.e. CdA) has changed since you've been on the Dimond. Twelsiek certainly rocked it, for example going 2' faster than FVL on 14 fewer watts (& he's a bigger guy).

Couple things. FVL runs Q-rings, which artificially inflate power numbers quite a bit. FVL also has, quite honestly, a terrible position. Head way up. Chest open. Straight extensions (WTF?!).

So there's all that.

But overall, power numbers just seemed lower this year compared to last year. I mean, even Maik was about 10w lower than last year. And that looked pretty consistent. EVERYONE seemed to be riding about 10w (or more; Kienle was probably more like 20w less) - which works out to about 3-4min over 180k. I think it was because it was hot and relatively low wind, which made it seem REALLY hot. Last year was windy, but that also meant a lot more convective cooling. So better conditions? I'd actually say no. Low wind, high temps, and high humidity is probably the toughest conditions for hard riding. I think that's why there was such carnage.

I really noticed once I got to Kona just how fast the Dimond is in crosswinds. At home, because of the nature of topography, the breezes off the ocean are all channeled so I ride basically into a straight headwind or with a straight tailwind. The Dimond is faster than the Shiv, but not by much. I can pick it up on routes I ride a lot, but it's not really that much. But in Kona? Holy shit. I was doing race pace intervals and just flying. I did a straight out-and-back at my goal race pace - 292w - before the race and was doing like 44kph on the Queen K section where I did it. So I really noticed the difference in speed on the Queen K way more than I notice it at home. I'd say my 0yaw CdA has dropped a bit. But my 10deg yaw CdA has dropped a LOT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next