Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona Lottery- new loop hole outside the U.S.?
Quote | Reply
So now that Kona is owned by a foreign entity, would it be possible for the U.S. based WTC to issue the foreign mother company the past kona lottery spots and the 'raffle' take place outside of U.S. legal jurisdiction in China?

Legal arm chair experts please advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Lottery- new loop hole outside the U.S.? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somebody asked this question when WTC was bought, and I think the answer was no because WTC itself is still headquartered in Florida. Doesn't matter that the mother company is abroad. But I was hoping the same thing as you. Guess we'll just have to wait for Legacy eligibility :)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Last edited by: jenniferpelota: Oct 6, 15 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
So now that Kona is owned by a foreign entity, would it be possible for the U.S. based WTC to issue the foreign mother company the past kona lottery spots and the 'raffle' take place outside of U.S. legal jurisdiction in China?

Legal arm chair experts please advice.

why would they change it? i suspect they get more overall money via the legacy program. there has to be at least a thousand athletes out there who are within 3-5 more ironman. of that 1k if 50% of them finish the 12 d/t the legacy program that adds about 1.4 million in revenue over 3-5 years.

4 years x 500 athletes x 700 = 1.4 million. does the kona lottery make them 350k a year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jees, give it up. The lottery is dead and buried. Move on.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Lottery- new loop hole outside the U.S.? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
why would they change it? i suspect they get more overall money via the legacy program. there has to be at least a thousand athletes out there who are within 3-5 more ironman. of that 1k if 50% of them finish the 12 d/t the legacy program that adds about 1.4 million in revenue over 3-5 years.

4 years x 500 athletes x 700 = 1.4 million. does the kona lottery make them 350k a year?

What was the lottery entry price tag before? I can't imagine fewer than 10,000 athletes would enter just because the legacy program still exists. And the lottery would only eliminate, what, 5 athletes from later becoming legacy-eligible?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Lottery- new loop hole outside the U.S.? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol

Seriously why don't they just raffle entries without charging folks?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Lottery- new loop hole outside the U.S.? [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lottery was $50 per entry, but you were allowed to double up also.
So if only 5000 people entered the lottery and 1000 other people doubled up, you are already at $350,000.

I'm sure a lot more people than that entered.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Lottery- new loop hole outside the U.S.? [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenniferpelota wrote:
ahhchon wrote:

What was the lottery entry price tag before? I can't imagine fewer than 10,000 athletes would enter just because the legacy program still exists. And the lottery would only eliminate, what, 5 athletes from later becoming legacy-eligible?

Yes, they made $654,410 in 2013, $911,600 in 2014 and $1.05 million in 2015 with the lottery. That was in the court documents.
Quote Reply