Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year??
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm gold but have been missed of the awa list for last events. last year there was a free breakfast for awa gold at Kona. I've tecieved no information about this year but don't know if this because there is nothing or because I've been missed of the list again?

Can anyone tell me what benefits, if any there are for awa gold at Kona this year? Ie awa breakfast, check in???

Thanks.

See you at st party!
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 3, 15 19:48
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [LzBones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
Hi, I'm gold but have been missed of the awa list for last events. last year there was a free breakfast for awa gold at Kona. I've tecieved no information about this year but don't know if this because there is nothing or because I've been missed of the list again?

Can anyone tell me what benefits, if any there are for awa gold at Kona this year? Ie awa breakfast, check in???

Thanks.

See you at st party!

I guess you didn't get the memo - there's a new platinum level that trumps the gold plebes.

Kidding aside, the breakfast is 8-10:30 at Splashers Grille just on the other side of the road from the pier. The WTC contact is stacie.call@ironman.com, though apparently they are at capacity, according to the last email.

Probably worth an email so you can grab some food.

ETA - date is October 6th - that's probably helpful information...

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Last edited by: owtbac86: Oct 3, 15 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't everyone at Kona be AWA gold?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

Probably. I'm doing 6 im branded races this year - 4 full and 2 half. I've been missed of the awa list at previous events, which is quiet handy for the express registration. I've sent a few emails to the contact at ironman and have received a ticket number but no follow up response.
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 4, 15 0:24
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
LzBones wrote:

Thanks.

See you at st party!

I guess you didn't get the memo - there's a new platinum level that trumps the gold plebes.

Kidding aside, the breakfast is 8-10:30 at Splashers Grille just on the other side of the road from the pier. The WTC contact is stacie.call@ironman.com, though apparently they are at capacity, according to the last email.

Thanks. I've been emailing for a month with no response. I'll see athlete services Monday. I'm not here to win, so just like being involved in whatever I can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the races that you do this year get you AWA for next year. That is what happened to me last year/this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

not if you only raced one race...AWA status is awarded to frequent racers that do ok at IM races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're in Kona, have raced 6IM branded races this year and are asking about a free breakfast?

I love backdoor brags but this one is a little off the mark. ;)

LzBones wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

Probably. I'm doing 6 im branded races this year - 4 full and 2 half. I've been missed of the awa list at previous events, which is quiet handy for the express registration. I've sent a few emails to the contact at ironman and have received a ticket number but no follow up response.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:
You're in Kona, have raced 6IM branded races this year and are asking about a free breakfast?

LzBones wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

In Reply To:

Give him a break. He's paid his dues and deserves a free breakfast. Heck when you get upgrade on airlines you get some good food too. 4 IM's and 2 half IM's alone is like several flights, so this is the least that WTC can do :-)

OK OK.....reading this thread makes me feel "almost normal". Probably the only place in the world I can see there are other guys giving WTC just as much money as me and also tearing their bodies apart and thinking it is normal ...carry on with the thread and hopefully you got your breakfast.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

not if you only raced one race...AWA status is awarded to frequent racers that do ok at IM races.

Or less frequent, but just did very well in their AG at those 3 events, which include one IM. :)

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:

LzBones wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

In Reply To:

Can this even be considered back door? On the other hand, if I dropped $3500+ on race entry fees and couldn't get the company to respond to multiple emails, you bet your ass I'd be getting that free breakfast. Probably bring their backpack and get 4 or 5 meals out of it. Especially if there's bacon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:

Mate, your easily impressed if you think this is worthy of some type of brag - entering 5 of these events simply require sitting down at a computer and filling out a registration form.
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 4, 15 9:38
Quote Reply
Post deleted by LzBones [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 4, 15 9:46
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MI TRI wrote:

LzBones wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

In Reply To:

Give him a break. He's paid his dues and deserves a free breakfast. Heck when you get upgrade on airlines you get some good food too. 4 IM's and 2 half IM's alone is like several flights, so this is the least that WTC can do :-)

OK OK.....reading this thread makes me feel "almost normal". Probably the only place in the world I can see there are other guys giving WTC just as much money as me and also tearing their bodies apart and thinking it is normal ...carry on with the thread and hopefully you got your breakfast.

Thanks - spot on. Last year I got to have breakfast with a lady who previously won her age group at Kona, did very well at the exterra MTb series and who'd been a world champion sky diver - why wouldn't I want to attend again this year?????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you didn't have to listen to someone tell you how awesome they are?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
MI TRI wrote:

Mate, your easily impressed if you think this is worthy of some type of brag - entering 5 of these events simply require sitting down at a computer and filling out a registration form.

Well, yes, you just have to sit in front of a computer to get into 5 of them, but you actually have to train and arrive at them no injured to get through and if you did that many and got to Kona, it's not a cakewalk, so hopefully you enjoy the breakfast. Well earned in my view. These things are never easy. It's not as easy as sitting in front of a computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

No, it was given up reluctantly - I had to pry it out of her and I found it quiet interesting - especially the skydiving which I knew nothing about
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
LzBones wrote:

Thanks.

See you at st party!

Followed up that email - sorted. Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
LzBones wrote:
MI TRI wrote:

Well, yes, you just have to sit in front of a computer to get into 5 of them, but you actually have to train and arrive at them no injured to get through and if you did that many and got to Kona, it's not a cakewalk, so hopefully you enjoy the breakfast. Well earned in my view. These things are never easy. It's not as easy as sitting in front of a computer.

Thanks. I just like to race 8-) and don't really the whole 'A' race thing - just have fun.
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 4, 15 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

A little off-topic but I still have a hard time understanding the rankings/points system. AWA goes to the top 1%/5%/10% (I think) of participants... But is that ONLY among participants that have done the minimum 3 races to qualify? Because it sure seems to me that if you finish 3 IM-branded races in a year you'd automatically accrue enough points to be in the top 10% of athletes that participated at all.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/10327392
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenniferpelota wrote:
d00d wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

A little off-topic but I still have a hard time understanding the rankings/points system. AWA goes to the top 1%/5%/10% (I think) of participants... But is that ONLY among participants that have done the minimum 3 races to qualify? Because it sure seems to me that if you finish 3 IM-branded races in a year you'd automatically accrue enough points to be in the top 10% of athletes that participated at all.

It's WTC's way of rewarding those dropping the most coin on their races.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:

So I got my invite sorted out and picked an empty table on arrival. After a while, someone called Dave asked if he could join me. His friends Mark, Paula and Craig soon joined both of us at the table. No one really talked about how awesome they were - but it still was a pretty cool Kona experience for me.
Last edited by: LzBones: Oct 6, 15 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

So I got my invite sorted out and picked an empty table on arrival. After a while, someone called Dave asked if he could join me. His friends Mark, Paula and Craig soon joined both of us at the table. No one really talked about how awesome they were - but it still was a pretty cool Kona experience for me.

Exactly. When you are that awesome there is not need to tell anyone. Very cool experience indeed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LzBones wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

Well, I hope they were at least wearing finishers t-shirts, so there wasn't any uncertainty.

(I had the opposite experience a few years ago waiting in the registration line ... a woman with some roots very deep in the lore of the sport wearing an "Ironman Legends" jersey was in front of me, and I struck up light friendly conversation. After some small talk, I asked her where she qualified this year, and she smiled and pointed to her shirt. It's one thing to be a legend, but it's another thing to wear a shirt to tell the world you're a legend ... and identify yourself so earnestly.)
Quote Reply
Re: Kona - awa gold / any benefits this year?? [jenniferpelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jenniferpelota wrote:
d00d wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

Isn't 2 enough to qualify for AWA but they will count up to 3?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next