Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene
Quote | Reply
Potential move to TN in the next couple of years. Just curious if one city is better than the other in regards to the training/racing scene.

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lived in both and think the Knoxville scene was better. Plus Knoxville has the mountains and is on the fast western end of the Eastern time zone so it would be light enough to ride until almost 9-9:15 in the summers while Nashville was in the beginning of the Central time zone and it would be almost dark by 8:00 even in the summer. Knoxville also had a lot more hiking and mtn biking opportunities. Nashville won when it came to night life but since this is a tri forum my response is sticking to the tri/running aspect.

---
You'e opinion is only as good as your signature line
-Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the above poster. From an athletics and outdoor standpoint, Knoxville is a lot better, but for everything else Nashville is a lot better. I went to school in Knoxville and go back 6 or 7 Saturdays every fall, but I'd have a hard time actually moving back there after living in Nashville.
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [ChrisTN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above comment however, knoxvillenis like the straight up hill~billy/redneck town and if you're kool with that!

Nashville also as stated above better night life and less rednecks in the metro area. Biggest tri attraction there is the nashville tri (sprint+olym) and the riverbluff tri and atomic man for long distance.

Team majic will be your biggest tri club in Nashville and cycling is seriously picking up there and great rides will as much elevation as you want to have or go to Murfreesboro for a pancake flat ride! No options in knoxville, all hills there but tri scene is also bigger

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with most of the above. However, is Chattanooga an option for you? It has the best of both: East TN mountains, Eastern time zone for long daylight hours, a very active triathlon club, Ironman-branded races out the a$$ (at least for right now), similar proximity to both cities (as well as Atlanta), pretty decent job market, night life, good restaurants, etc.

To be sure, there are rednecks here. You just learn how to minimize any unpleasant interactions -- for example, what roads/times to avoid riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chattanooga should be your choice. Awesome tri community!!
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Nashville plenty to do here and many great places to ride heading out from Franklin/Brentwood area. I can't speak for the other cites but Franklin area seems to be very active friendly. Night life is great too.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I live in Nashville plenty to do here and many great places to ride heading out from Franklin/Brentwood area. I can't speak for the other cites but Franklin area seems to be very active friendly. Night life is great too.

I also live in Franklin - its pretty hard to beat in the Nashville area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would most certainly choose Chattanooga over either of those, but Nashville of the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't live in either place but work in both quiet often. Nashville traffic sux!!!! Knoxville nightlife is fine. And as far as the Hill-billy redneck comment about Knoxville....have you been to downtown Nashville on ANY given night.
More races in East Tn, but training rides can be better "overall" in middle TN because of the less dense population once you're out of the City.
Do consider Chattanooga as well if moving to TN.
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New3901 wrote:
And as far as the Hill-billy redneck comment about Knoxville....have you been to downtown Nashville on ANY given night.

Those are all tourists, except for the people dressed in gold those would be the Pred's fans. 🏒

I would ask the original poster, does the job market matter? If so, Nashville would be your best bet.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. Ironclm, no the job market does not matter. Why I didn't include Chattanooga I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Knoxville or Nashville, TN tri scene [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point, im in this forum enough, should have thought of Chattanooga!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive lived all over starting new IRONMAN events, and after coming to Chattanooga I decided to make it home. Incredible riding and training opportunities, and outdoor lovers dream. Convenient to Nashville, Knoxville and Atlanta, airport thats getting more direct flights every month, low cost of living... Im a fan. Ive spent more time in Nashville than Knoxville but have enjoyed both cities, but never thought about moving to either.
Quote Reply