Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knock-kneed duck feet running shoe advice needed
Quote | Reply
Embarrassing, but true. I'm a little knock-kneed or duck footed, depending on your perspective. If I point my knees out straight, my feet go 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. If I would try to line up my feet pointing straight ahead, my knees will point inwards. As you can imagine I often have knee issues/ pain when running longer distances. When I run I tend to split the difference, either running slightly duck footed, or trying to land on the outer half of my feet to avoid rolling over my big-toe joint too much. The people at my major chain running store say I don't over-pronate, but they don't understand my issues. I don't over-pronate as a roll in from the ankle, but I am thinking I need to buy running shoes for over-pronaters so I won't roll over my big toe joints. All duckies please advise. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Knock-kneed duck feet running shoe advice needed [mzappella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find someone who can assess and address the real issue at hand here. Even if you found a good shoe, it's only a band-aid approach. You need to address the valgus (knock kneed) position. May be due to weak glutes. May be due to tight adductors. May be due to poor ankle flexibility. Could be a combination of all those things. Assess and address those things and you will be a better and happier athlete in the long run.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Knock-kneed duck feet running shoe advice needed [mzappella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Altra shoes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have duck feet but not duck knees or duck legs. Sorry, can't help you but like a previous poster said, "Even if you found a good shoe, it's only a band-aid approach.".
I concur.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by johnnybefit [ In reply to ]
Re: Knock-kneed duck feet running shoe advice needed [DJHollingsworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJHollingsworth wrote:
Find someone who can assess and address the real issue at hand here. Even if you found a good shoe, it's only a band-aid approach. You need to address the valgus (knock kneed) position. May be due to weak glutes. May be due to tight adductors. May be due to poor ankle flexibility. Could be a combination of all those things. Assess and address those things and you will be a better and happier athlete in the long run.

Thank you for your very reasonable advice. I was born this way-- but still I agree I need to find someone who understands my particular weird stance.
I was hoping there may be others who have found a working solution. Either certain shoes or maybe they have learned to land a certain way.
Thanks again for your advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Knock-kneed duck feet running shoe advice needed [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
Have you tried Altra shoes?

No, I haven't. I will look into that. Thanks!
Quote Reply