Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kiwami Questions and the Switch from 2 pieces to 1
Quote | Reply
Thinking about purchasing the Kiwami Prima LD tri suit mostly because it seems like such a good deal(even though it doesn't match my bike). However this is my first look at a one piece suit as opposed to 2 and while I know they were them in the olympics and the pros wear them etc. etc. being a tall guy it makes me nervous because I have had many a tri top that feel great in the try-on phase and then in my swim warm up I realize I am taking on water at my chest and leave it sitting at my bike. With a swimming background I really try to make up a little ground on the swim and I am not looking for extra drag. Now I know I can get a swim skin and help with that, but I am only making one purchase at a time right now. At 6'5" 200 I realize I don't fit a stereotypical triathlete body type, but would love to hear others who have worn this, or even just made the switch from 2 pieces to one talk about pros and cons besides the ease of taking a leak. In addition any reason why you wouldn't want to wear a "long distance suit" in a sprint etc. as a MOP AGer? I assume the only difference has to do with pockets or size of the pad.

P.S. if you have a coupon code let me know! Their site has me tempted to buy a few things lol
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Questions and the Switch from 2 pieces to 1 [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never raced in the Prima LD, however I have raced in a LOT of different Kiwami kits. The Konami, the "older" Amphibian, the Spider WS1 and the Spider LD Aero.

I used the Amphibian in Kona back in 2011 & 2012 as a Swimskin over the Konami, and then raced in the Konami. I only raced in 2 piece kits before moving over to Kiwami stuff. I think 1 piece is more comfortable and the new "hybrid" one piece (that is what I call the Spider LD Aero), is the best of both worlds. If your short course races are all wetsuit swims then I would take a hard look at the Spider LD Aero, and if they are non wetsuit then I would recommend the Spider WS1. I have also raced in the SpiderWS1 only with no swim skin and it worked great. None of the issues you describe with taking on water in the chest or anything like that.

Only difference would be pockets and maybe the snugness? But I haven't worn the Prima LD for an extended period of time (I may have "worn" it for photos and that was the extent of it, but can't remember any details about it), so my comments are limited to compare that to the "short course" suits.

As for sizing, I would email Andre at Kiwami, contact@kiwamitri.com. Of note, I am a sponsored athlete by Kiwami so keep that in mind when reading the above. To caveat that, I was a paying customer for a few years before becoming sponsored. As for you P.S. statement, see below in my signature block.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Questions and the Switch from 2 pieces to 1 [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the info! Thanks brother
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Questions and the Switch from 2 pieces to 1 [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
I have never raced in the Prima LD, however I have raced in a LOT of different Kiwami kits. The Konami, the "older" Amphibian, the Spider WS1 and the Spider LD Aero.

I used the Amphibian in Kona back in 2011 & 2012 as a Swimskin over the Konami, and then raced in the Konami. I only raced in 2 piece kits before moving over to Kiwami stuff. I think 1 piece is more comfortable and the new "hybrid" one piece (that is what I call the Spider LD Aero), is the best of both worlds. If your short course races are all wetsuit swims then I would take a hard look at the Spider LD Aero, and if they are non wetsuit then I would recommend the Spider WS1. I have also raced in the SpiderWS1 only with no swim skin and it worked great. None of the issues you describe with taking on water in the chest or anything like that.

Only difference would be pockets and maybe the snugness? But I haven't worn the Prima LD for an extended period of time (I may have "worn" it for photos and that was the extent of it, but can't remember any details about it), so my comments are limited to compare that to the "short course" suits.

As for sizing, I would email Andre at Kiwami, contact@kiwamitri.com. Of note, I am a sponsored athlete by Kiwami so keep that in mind when reading the above. To caveat that, I was a paying customer for a few years before becoming sponsored. As for you P.S. statement, see below in my signature block.

Are you saying the Spider LD Aero is no good as a short course suit unless the swim is wetsuit? Does the Spider LD Aero take on water? I thought it looked like I could use it as my only suit without a wetsuit or swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Questions and the Switch from 2 pieces to 1 [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't swam in it on its own, but it has 4 pockets on the hips/lower legs. They are "tight" but still pockets. And with the split at the shorts/top, I am not sure if that would take on water or not. I have always worn a SwimSkin over it, and have always had it rolled down. It is easy to pull up while running to T1, all of the swims I have done have had long transition areas so hasn't been an issue. When under a wetsuit I always wear it all the way up and have no issues with it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply