Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kinvara 5
Quote | Reply
Is Saucony only making the Kinvara 5 in the Boston colors?
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [yorkcb7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yorkcb7 wrote:
Is Saucony only making the Kinvara 5 in the Boston colors?

Have you even looked at their website???

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh yup. And the only one I see is the "Boston" addition.. But clearly I missed something thanks to your respectable comment.

Thanks bro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the Kinvara 5 normal edition is not released yet, give it a week.

http://blog.saucony.com/...ct-corner/kinvara-5/
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [Gleep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very odd considering they were selling all the
Color ways this weekend at the expo

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can pre-order the Kinvara 5 on http://www.runningwarehouse.com right now for $100. It shows 3 different men/women color options to choose from right now (Black, Blue, Green for guys and blue, yellow, coral for the ladies). They tend to have a lot of color options so maybe there is something else in the wings.
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats the difference between the 4 and 5? Why would anyone spend $100 on the 5 when the 4 is a great shoe and can easily be found for $60?
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does it look like there is substantially more forefoot cushioning than the previous versions? Has Empfield predicted the future?
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinvara 4

Kinvara 5

Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cusioning looks the same to me so far. Does look like a bit more hard plastic on toe off and outside heel, major striking points for Kinvara runners.

I hope they addressed the upper material ripping at the pinky toe area. That is annoying.

The other concern between the 4 and 5 is the flexibility. Look at the grid pattern on the 4. There is a nice line at the midfoot for flexibility. The 5 doesn't seem to have such a deep and clean line as the 4.
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you mentioned the ripping - I looked down at mine on Monday in Boston and was embarrassed to notice that both of mine were torn in that area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have about 5 pairs of threes waiting in the closet to use. My routine is to find something that works, wait for it to go on super sale, and then buy as many as will fit in my house. Saves a good bit of money plus the added bonus of not having to worry about shoes for 12 to 18 months at a time.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [trimiketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read their blog on the 5, seems they updated the upper mesh to be more durable and they also provided a better "sock liner".
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had 2 pairs of the 3's and replaced one with a "new" 4 a couple weeks ago!

Can't wait for the 6 to come out so I can try the 5.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The major differences between the 4 and 5 are:
Outsole: The tonal coloring on the XT900 is now all the same. If you notice on the picture comparison that was posted above, the two triangles on the medial side coming away from the toe in white are actually the same material as the black (for the 4). The 5 has them all called out into a different color, so no change in the amount of blown carbon rubber in the toe. The heel has the same amount, but it is actually separated now by each lug, giving better flexibility from the heel through the mid foot.
Midsole: The midsole now has more foam in contact with the ground, but defined flex grooves. The principles of more ground contact = greater distribution of pressure are at play here. The footprint is literally the same size, but more foam is coming into contact with the ground, if that makes sense.
Upper: I cannot comment on the ripping on the upper, because I see people ripping through shoes no matter what the material is. So that will be case by case. The mid foot also gets Pro-Lock, which has only been found on the high end sprint and XC spikes in the past. This straps you down on top of the platform for a more individualized fit. However tight you tie those middle laces, is how tight the panels on the medial and lateral arch are tied. Then there are nice touches with extended memory foam in the heel and tongue.
Three colors mens and women's. Same price and same weight as their predecessor. The Kinvara will usually get a race-specific treatment for the major marathons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
Kinvara 5

Looks like it says DAD on the sole.

Do hope that pinky tear stops on top, luckily, it generally doesn't start happening to me until the shoe has about 50 or so more miles on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [nhoya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nhoya wrote:
I cannot comment on the ripping on the upper, because I see people ripping through shoes no matter what the material is.

If you are anything to do with Saucony you really should comment because that is 100% a design flaw on Kinvara's. Same place on so many pairs, my wives lasted under 80km before the tear started. It does't make too much difference to be honest but ....

If you aren't anything to do with Saucony then .... sit back and relax :)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nhoya wrote:
The major differences between the 4 and 5 are:
Outsole: The tonal coloring on the XT900 is now all the same. If you notice on the picture comparison that was posted above, the two triangles on the medial side coming away from the toe in white are actually the same material as the black (for the 4). The 5 has them all called out into a different color, so no change in the amount of blown carbon rubber in the toe. The heel has the same amount, but it is actually separated now by each lug, giving better flexibility from the heel through the mid foot.
Midsole: The midsole now has more foam in contact with the ground, but defined flex grooves. The principles of more ground contact = greater distribution of pressure are at play here. The footprint is literally the same size, but more foam is coming into contact with the ground, if that makes sense.
Upper: I cannot comment on the ripping on the upper, because I see people ripping through shoes no matter what the material is. So that will be case by case. The mid foot also gets Pro-Lock, which has only been found on the high end sprint and XC spikes in the past. This straps you down on top of the platform for a more individualized fit. However tight you tie those middle laces, is how tight the panels on the medial and lateral arch are tied. Then there are nice touches with extended memory foam in the heel and tongue.
Three colors mens and women's. Same price and same weight as their predecessor. The Kinvara will usually get a race-specific treatment for the major marathons.

Wouldn't more foam = less mileage? Especially for someone who lands on the lateral part of their midfoot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In response to more foam, less mileage: no, the basic principle of more mass coming into contact with the ground means the peak pressure points are distributed over a broader surface area. (See: Hoka) In fact, this should mean that you get more durability out of your pairs.

In response to tears in the mesh package: what I was saying is that I see people tear through any mesh on any shoe. It does happen on the Kinvara, and some of the blame can be placed on the premium placed on having the lightest possible upper. This mesh is slightly different than in the past on the inside. The fabric that is closer to the foot is slightly thicker than in the past and a tighter weave. They are still just as breathable as before, and the outer mesh should remain close to the same. I can't say for sure if your particular case will be resolved by this new mesh, as each individual person is different. I have run in every generation of the Kinvara, Kinvara TR, as well as the Virrata (same mesh package), and I have never ripped a single pair. But again, everyone is different.

I have worked for the brand for the past 8 years, so hopefully I can help with brand related questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand you wanting to protect thd brand, but if multiple people report the same issue in the same place, maybe it's time to address the issue, which I'm pretty sure Saucony already stated by changing the mesh material as noted in their blog write up.

I too have run in the kinvara from the very first pair they maids in white and red and the white and blue. I have had about 12 pairs per year since they started. I also ran in the virrata and fastwitch and the A series. Fantastic shoes. But the 4's have upper mesh issues. The virrata and kinvara have foam crushing issues on the outside midfoot. But it looks like Saucony took this into consideration with the kinvara 5.

Look, sometimes you have to admit some flaws. I've also run in zoot shoes since 2008. Every single pair and version they came out with. A lot if customers complained about heel rub from the high tab. Yes, other shoes give heel rub too, but this was a pretty specific problem with zoot. They finally addressed the issue and now customers are happy.

Listen, the kinvara is a run shoe industry game changer. Everyone is trying to figure out a way to beat it. I think several companies have done well getting close to the kinvara (brooks, new balance, mizuno,pearl Izumi, and now sketchers).

I prefer zoot specifically for triathlons. Love the whole brand and everything they stand for. But I would take a hard look if the kinvara got speed laces, sock liners, and drainage holes (no, the fastwitch doesn't quite meet the same standards as thd kinvara).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry for hijacking, but if i wanted to try some zoot shoes, and am generally happy with kinvara (my rankings would be 2 > 4 > 3) and the a6 (with very limited miles), what would you suggest?

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Apr 23, 14 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: Kinvara 5 [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send me the same PM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes send the same PM or post here. I have been curious myself.
Quote Reply

Prev Next