Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest
Quote | Reply
Not triathlon...but pretty freaking amazing!

https://thehimalayantimes.com/...-style-speed-record/

KATHMANDU: Spanish climber Kilian Jornet scaled the world’s highest peak from Tibetan side in a single attempt without the help of bottled oxygen or fixed ropes.
The famed alpinist, who already set the speed record for ascending the Mt Kilimanjaro, Mt Aconcagua, Mt Denali, Matterhorn and Mt Mont Blanc, successfully reached the summit via the north face of the world’s highest mountain following the traditional route at midnight of 21st to 22nd May, according to a statement issued by the climber.
Jornet, one of the all-time great mountain runners, began the challenge at the Mt Everest Base Camp near the ancient Rombuk monastery (5,100 m) on May 20 at 10:00 pm (local time) while at 12:15 am on May 22, he started descending towards the Advanced Base Camp (6,500 m) from the summit point, the statement read. Jornet claimed that he stood atop the Mt Everest at midnight, in 26 hours after beginning the ascent from the base camp.
After returning to ABC in 38 hours at around 10:00 am on May 22, he explained, “Until I reached 7,700 m, I felt good and was doing according to my plan, but I experienced some stomach problem thereafter and had decided to move slowly to recover. However, I made it to the summit at midnight.”
Under the ‘Summits of My Life’ project, Jornet intended to complete the ascent in one go to set a new speed record (Fast Known Time in his parlance)
Over the past six years, Jornet has travelled around the world setting climbing records on the world’s most iconic mountains. He began on Mont Blanc in 2012 and since then has climbed mountains in Europe (Mont Blanc and Cervino), North America (Denali) and South America (Aconcagua).
The team had planned to travel to the Himalayas in autumn but, unable to obtain permits, decided to bring it forward to the spring season, as Jornet earlier explained: “This year will be different from 2016 as there will be more people in the base camp while last year we were alone. The reason for wanting to try it in August-September is that the temperatures are a little warmer and there is less risk of freezing. In spite of everything, the knowledge we acquired last year will prove vital in this expedition.”
Jornet further said, “We began this challenge together five years ago and with our values and our approach to the mountain we’ve got to this point. Although we don’t know what will happen, I’m clear about one thing: it’s not my Everest, but ours, everyone who has in one way or another contributed to making this project a reality.”
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jornet is a freak. What an accomplishment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy is incredible. Watch some of his video's online......."Now we are Free"......near the end when he runs down a ridge.
I got to see him in a 50k, that I happened to be in that he was to. The speed he ascends , descends is ridiculous. He makes it look so easy and effortless
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and its not just the ultra's either, he also won the short (4km or so?)but technical climb in Alaska last year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good visual of how talented this guy is - Kilian running to the top of Matterhorn and back down in under 2 hours. 8,100 feet of vertical gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAeHysSVMUk

I believe he's a smaller guy and also has a VO2 max of almost 90 ml/min.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, he went from 5100m to 8848 m in one shot? So her climbed 3748m in only 26 hours? That's a VAM of around 150m per hour continuously with no bottled oxygen and ambiant oxygen starting at 55% oxygen saturation of sea level, going down to 33% at 8848m.
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life would be so much easier if we could all run downhill (and up) like Kilian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2wmtFfCEkA
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus. The Matterhorn is no joke and that "run" requires more than just running ability. Does he have a technical climbing history at all?

This guy has both an absurd engine and absurd balls. I hope he lives to retirement.

The Everest achievement is pretty out there. I'm glad weather and conditions stayed good for him.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
part mountain goat ! IIRC he and his ultra GF live isolated in the mountains a good part of the year
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
part mountain goat ! IIRC he and his ultra GF live isolated in the mountains a good part of the year

He is living in Romsdalen, Norway. Not to fare from AAndalsnes.
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also states he never has goals running. Just a way to stay in shape for skiing, alpine
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Does he have a technical climbing history at all?

Google his Wikipedia page. Son of a mountain guide, raised in a hut in the pyrenees, started climbing at 3. A freak of nature.

I reccomend his book "run or die" (velopress)

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad for European.

Pemba Dorjee Sherpa made that summit in 8 hours.

https://www.climbing.com/...speed-record-upheld/

Granted that's from the south side, but still it was made in one shot straight from base camp. The north and south base camps are within 200 meter vertical.
Quote Reply
Re: Kilian Jornet "Runs" Up Everest [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Jesus. The Matterhorn is no joke and that "run" requires more than just running ability. Does he have a technical climbing history at all?

This guy has both an absurd engine and absurd balls. I hope he lives to retirement.

The Everest achievement is pretty out there. I'm glad weather and conditions stayed good for him.
He grew up in the Pyrenees and mountaineering in all forms has always been part of his life but I don't think he's been involved with many formal high altitude climbs before the Summits Of My Life project.

He sounds like one of the nicest and most humble people you could ever meet; he's doing these amazing things and to him it's just fun adventure to see if he can do it. And at the same time he knows how dangerous this is so he has a good sense of when to back off. I remember seeing a video of a challenge he set for himself and couldn't complete. The interviewer asked if he was disappointed and with a big grin he said "not at all, it just means I get to come back and try another day"
Quote Reply