Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr spin down
Quote | Reply
Coming from a computrainer I want to do a spin down during a Kickr workout. Is this possible?
How do people approach doing spin downs on their Kickr?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr spin down [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is possible although it depends on which way you are controlling the Kickr.

I don't do spindowns, personally. I've found that the accuracy meshes up with my various on-bike powermeters (w/in 3-5%) w/o having to do repeated spindowns.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr spin down [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Yes, it is possible although it depends on which way you are controlling the Kickr.

I don't do spindowns, personally. I've found that the accuracy meshes up with my various on-bike powermeters (w/in 3-5%) w/o having to do repeated spindowns.

Is this accuracy generally considered to be the norm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it depends on who you ask, but in my experience and based on the many I've seen out in the wild...yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Well it depends on who you ask, but in my experience and based on the many I've seen out in the wild...yes.

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

I know this horse has been beaten quite extensively here ... but am willing to whack it again ...

My experience has been that it's not a % but rather a fixed amount (like 20-25w). And that is after it's warmed up for 20 min or more. Prior to that it's real close.

But I agree that it's worked out better NOT to do repeated spindowns. I did a ride where I let it warm up completely, THEN did the spindown, then left if there.

Caveat: I have not updated to the latest firmware ... so this is from last winter. (yes, horror of horrors, I ride my bike outside for the most part).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excuse my ignorance, but what is a spin down?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr spin down [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

I know this horse has been beaten quite extensively here ... but am willing to whack it again ...

My experience has been that it's not a % but rather a fixed amount (like 20-25w). And that is after it's warmed up for 20 min or more. Prior to that it's real close.

But I agree that it's worked out better NOT to do repeated spindowns. I did a ride where I let it warm up completely, THEN did the spindown, then left if there.

Caveat: I have not updated to the latest firmware ... so this is from last winter. (yes, horror of horrors, I ride my bike outside for the most part).

This is my experience as well. If I spindown after warmed up and leave it my numbers are pretty good. I only spindown every couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr spin down [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msaad7 wrote:
excuse my ignorance, but what is a spin down?

You pedal the kickr (or computrainer) up to a given speed, then let it coast down. This lets the onboard electronics measure how much extra friction there is in the system (belts, tires, rollers, etc). In the case of the computrainer, it measures how much rolling resistance is coming from your tire pressed onto the roller.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204281794-How-when-do-I-perform-a-spindown-calibration-

I use the second described option with the Wahoo Fitness app.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply