Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kickr reading high
Quote | Reply
Just got a Kickr and it seems to be reading watts 25-35 higher than my Quarq (and powertap). I've read others had this problem but can't tell if anyone has ever been able to fix it. Having a "Kickr FTP" doesn't work for me since my training zones are based on % FTP and the math doesn't work when it's this far off. If I can't fix it I will be returning the Kickr. So does the calibration kit help or does Wahoo expect people to live with this difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [burger0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are your indoor/outdoor FTPs the same? Curious as my outdoor was always 10-20w higher anyway so wondering if you would not have to convert anyway?

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had one for over a year. While it is quite annoying, they do expect to live with it which I have and its okay, but just okay. I would get a computrainer if I could do it over.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes my FTP's are the same. Seems kind of bush league to have to live with a 10-20% power reporting difference. Hoping a calibration will take care of it but if not this is going back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems to be a pretty common problem with the Kickr. I believe you can get a calibration kit from Wahoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
This seems to be a pretty common problem with the Kickr. I believe you can get a calibration kit from Wahoo.

I got one and performed the calibration. The offset value on the spindown did change, from around 680 to around 430. But this had no effect on the discrepancy - in fact, it got worse (went from 30W to over 40W, and this was on an easy ride where the power was supposed to be 150W). I have verified the discrepancy on two different bikes with two different generations of Quarq; the Quarqs are consistent.

I don't think this is acceptable at all, given the amount of money this thing cost.

I'll see if Wahoo comes up with a suggestion that fixes this. Ready to just send it back and go back to my KK.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that :/

Maybe give computrainer a try? I just got one and absolutely fell in love. Computrainer + TrainerRoad. It's an awesome training combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Maybe give computrainer a try? I just got one and absolutely fell in love. Computrainer + TrainerRoad. It's an awesome training combo.

The funny thing is I actually already have a CompuTrainer, but I haven't used it in years. I started having problems with newer computers and the old serial interface, so I ended up only being able to use it in erg mode from the control unit. Also, the frame knobs have become fused, so I can't lock the bike in tight anymore. So I put it off in the corner of my garage.

One thing I've thought about is taking the load unit off and putting it on my KK RnR trainer (someone on ST has mentioned this in another thread) - then I'd get the best of both worlds. But I'd still have to sort out the interface to my iMac that is running TR.

I do recall that the CompuTrainer's power ran very close to my PM at the time (a wired PowerTap back in the day), so if the computer-to-CT interface works, then this might be close to training nirvana. I'm guessing there have been some updates to the serial interface stuff in the past 5 years, so I need to do some research.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the poster who said it was "bush league" to expect any consumer to accept such a discrepancy, especially if the calibration kit they sell doesn't fix the problem.

Although CompuTrainers are also often inaccurately calibrated, at least they will (would?) recalibrate them for a modest fee (although doing it yourself is the best bet, at least if you have the patience).

Guess I'll keep beating on my accurate Velodyne for another ~25 y...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I have to agree. I just started using TrainerRoad with my Computrainer. TrainerRoad records as follows:
Cadence and power from my Quarq
HRM from my Garmin HRM-Run
'Speed' from my Garmin speed sensor.

TrainerRoad controls the Computrainer's Erg mode. After warm up and calibration, I'm seeing 0-5 watt difference between the goal wattage set by TrainerRoad and the Quarq. I'm very happy with this and it's breathed new life into my Computrainer.
Last edited by: Olu: Nov 22, 14 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually returned my kickr tonight. Couldn't deal with having to figure out if I was in the right zone on the kickr vs what was happening in reality. I guess I'll fix up my beater road bike and use a powertap with my regular trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must be an individual unit thing - my KickR is within 5 watts of my Powertap at least. Sure love using TrainerRoad and it in Erg mode. Ouch.

Re: Kickr reading high [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the end of today's 2 hour ride mine was about 45 watts off. Using heart rate and general feeling I knew I wasn't doing 290 watts. In reality I was doing 240-250 which would match what my heart rate was showing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burger0014 wrote:
By the end of today's 2 hour ride mine was about 45 watts off. Using heart rate and general feeling I knew I wasn't doing 290 watts. In reality I was doing 240-250 which would match what my heart rate was showing.

Yeah, that is pretty unacceptable for sure (though I keep my trainer rides under 90 mins most of the time ;-)

Quote | Reply
I'm getting a pretty consistent 30 watts high on the KICKR compared to a Power2Max. Wahoo sent me the calibration kit, which I used but with no noticeable change. Power2Max seems to be fairly in-line with reality when compared to others data, but may be reading a bit low. In my back and forth with Brad from Wahoo he was under the impression that some updates are in the works that will allow you to "sync" you KICKR to your current powermeter so I'm just making do until then. Odd how everyone seems to be consistently off.

Quote:
As I understand it, we are in the process of testing a new firmware that will allow your KICKR to sync to your power meter and more closely match it. I'm not sure of the planned release date but you will get an automatic prompt when it's available!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been sick so I didn't want to go outside. 2 hours is at my upper limit of trainer time. Was able to catch the entire Arsenal v Man U game though so it was worth it. I ride between 6-10 hours a week on my trainer so I am really disappointed this didn't work out for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the most underrated trainer is the Cycleops Powerbeam. Easy calibration, no drift, and can be manually calibrated to match a powertap. Gives real nice ergometer workouts. The flywheel has a nice feel to it, I use a 53x11 gear and get a real nice road feel, you never have to switch gears. Much easier to deal with than a velodyne, that simply is not a realistic option for many reasons. And the icing on the cake--incredible Cycleops support.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the powerbeam work with Trainerroad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burger0014 wrote:

Yes and quite well. I loved mine but, alas, I got sick of the wireless dropping out (not the Powerbeam's fault, nothing wireless... wifi, cellphone, etc.... works well in my place)
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

The funny thing is I actually already have a CompuTrainer, but I haven't used it in years. I started having problems with newer computers and the old serial interface, so I ended up only being able to use it in erg mode from the control unit. Also, the frame knobs have become fused, so I can't lock the bike in tight anymore. So I put it off in the corner of my garage.

One thing I've thought about is taking the load unit off and putting it on my KK RnR trainer (someone on ST has mentioned this in another thread) - then I'd get the best of both worlds. But I'd still have to sort out the interface to my iMac that is running TR.

I do recall that the CompuTrainer's power ran very close to my PM at the time (a wired PowerTap back in the day), so if the computer-to-CT interface works, then this might be close to training nirvana. I'm guessing there have been some updates to the serial interface stuff in the past 5 years, so I need to do some research.

Ian

There's a USB adapter now. That's how I have my computrainer set up on Mac using Trainer Road. Installed some drivers and that was it. Very straightforward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yes it does but cant go into detail as I personally prefer to just stare at the Joule speed/ cadence readout with Pandora in the background.
Last edited by: J7: Nov 22, 14 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
Must be an individual unit thing - my KickR is within 5 watts of my Powertap at least. Sure love using TrainerRoad and it in Erg mode. Ouch.

I have a kickr and a PT. How do u compare the two since the back wheel (pt) is off while on the kickr?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
I'm getting a pretty consistent 30 watts high on the KICKR compared to a Power2Max. Wahoo sent me the calibration kit, which I used but with no noticeable change. Power2Max seems to be fairly in-line with reality when compared to others data, but may be reading a bit low. In my back and forth with Brad from Wahoo he was under the impression that some updates are in the works that will allow you to "sync" you KICKR to your current powermeter so I'm just making do until then. Odd how everyone seems to be consistently off.

I just got mine, and am also seeing the magic 20w difference from my Quarq (2 different ones). Did the spin-down several times, on 2 different bikes.

Seems like it would be to Wahoo's benefit to have some kind of statement on this, and whether they plan to address it. Seems obvious that it's not an isolated problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr reading high [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
rroof wrote:

I have a kickr and a PT. How do u compare the two since the back wheel (pt) is off while on the kickr?

LOL - Quarq, sorry.

Did a bit over 90 mins today on it, but no comparo to see if a drift at temps over time. Usually only an hour on it. With all the reports here, will have to check again. Just tried to compare when new and it was right away and seemed close, so then just watched trainer road on the bottom of a movie I was watching.

Re: Kickr reading high [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the power2max and noticed it was always about 20watts higher on the kickr so just upped my FTP on trainer road by 20 watts. A little poor for an expensive trainer. Hopefully some software updates can rectify this issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next