Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kickr or Di2?
Quote | Reply
If you had enough to buy a Wahoo Kickr or a Di2 ultegra kit, which direction would you go?
FWIW, I currently have a Kurt Kinetic road machine as my trainer and a crank based power meter.

Discuss...

http://www.tri-ingtokeepwarm.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [akbreezo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
akbreezo wrote:
If you had enough to buy a Wahoo Kickr or a Di2 ultegra kit, which direction would you go?
FWIW, I currently have a Kurt Kinetic road machine as my trainer and a crank based power meter.

Discuss...

KICKR... and would use my crank based PM to control it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go Kickr!

At this time of year, moving to in-door training, I'm guessing you'll get a lot more out of it sooner than Di2.

Having said that, with your current set up you can or could already do all the stuff I use mine for (trainer road, Zwift), you just loose the functionality of a having your trainer controlled externally.

Kickr now, Di2 later (or on bike N+1) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a Di2, but I can comment on the Kickr', it's a great trainer... it built well, it feel very realistic and includes a power meter for training. My personal opinion is go with the upgraded trainer, especially if you have interest in some of the possibilities it opens you up to... like Zwift, Trainer Road etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my main hesitation with the kickr is that I have the power meter and a trainer road subscription, so how much do I gain in buying a kickr?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akbreezo wrote:
Yeah, my main hesitation with the kickr is that I have the power meter and a trainer road subscription, so how much do I gain in buying a kickr?

ERG mode.... is AWESOME!!

That's what you get...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a lot of money, and we can all spend it for you. There are probably some ways to quantify the value to you in a measurable way, but at the end of the day get what makes you happy. If having a Di2 bike gets you stoked (and why wouldn't it), go that route.

I have Zwift set up in my basement with the Kickr and find myself riding my bike indoors just for fun, which I think will pay big rewards through the winter. I had a crank based PM and regular trainer before, but the Kick'r is just so much nicer.

But if Di2 gets you stoked to ride, give 'er! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice perspective!

captain-tri wrote:
It's a lot of money, and we can all spend it for you. There are probably some ways to quantify the value to you in a measurable way, but at the end of the day get what makes you happy. If having a Di2 bike gets you stoked (and why wouldn't it), go that route.

I have Zwift set up in my basement with the Kickr and find myself riding my bike indoors just for fun, which I think will pay big rewards through the winter. I had a crank based PM and regular trainer before, but the Kick'r is just so much nicer.

But if Di2 gets you stoked to ride, give 'er! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have both.

just got the kickr and have not used it yet. i love my di2. i can't ever imagine going back to mechanical, ever. i even want to change my touring bike over to di2. i'll probably do that if i ever upgrade to a superbike which will help me transition all my components over to my other bikes. tee hee.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
initial thought, kickr.
i have a kickr and di2 on a road bike.

a couple questions. is this for a tri-bike or road bike. if i were getting another road bike i'd go with mechanical shifting. not sold on the electric thing, i really like feeling and hearing the shift. person opinion, personal preference. if this is for a tri-bike, i think the electric shifting is suited very well for it. having multiple shifting locations is a great asset.

i'm 90% happy with my kickr. i've had a read out prob with it since i got it. i've used 3 different devices, two laptops and an iPad, and am having the same issue on all 3. i haven't used it in a while because it ridable outdoors, and i hate working out inside if i don't HAVE to. big pic though i think the kickr is a great tool.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that I would get a lot of pleasure out of either. I wish I could afford both, but obviously I cannot.
This is for a TT bike. I have a 2015 P2 so it is Di2 "ready."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have DI2 and I have a CT which equals Erg mode, which is what the Kickr will mostly give you.
I would give up the DI2 before Erg mode.
Hands down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Kickr will make you stronger by using ERG mode. If you can focus on your trainer workouts and hit your power numbers, then keep your current trainer and buy Di2. If you want to train without having to worry about switching gears to hit your power targets, get the Kickr. Investments in indoor training will always make you a stronger cyclist.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if the Di2 were for a road bike, I'd say get the Kickr. But for a TT bike, I'd get the Di2. It makes riding the TT bike so much more enjoyable not to mention being more functional
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
akbreezo wrote:

Discuss...

KICKR... and would use my crank based PM to control it.

Curious, why would u want to use your external PM to control the KICKR? Doesn't the KICKR have its own PM? What are the advantages of using one over the other?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
if the Di2 were for a road bike, I'd say get the Kickr. But for a TT bike, I'd get the Di2. It makes riding the TT bike so much more enjoyable not to mention being more functional

But, it doesn't make you any faster.

I say Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:

I say Kickr.

he's already got a KK though, so while the Kickr is nice the KK is still a decent trainer. And personally ... I think Di2 does make me faster in a TT, due to not ever having to move my hands to shift (and because of that I tend to be in an optimal gear more often than when I had mechanical)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kickr - no question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good choice to have. Luckily I have both di2 and a Kickr and I would give up the Di2 first, honestly.

I think your point about not having to move your hands and/or fatiguing as a result of shifts is a fair point however. I recently installed the wireless sensor thingy for Di2 and was very surprised when I finished a ~100mi ride to see how many times I had shifted throughout the ride. I have a 1 x system so am only shifting my RD.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have both... and definitely go with the kickr. I love both but kickr>Di2. I would hate to give up my Di2, but I can live without it. I can't say the same about my kickr.
Riding indoors isn't that bad anymore with ERG mode, trainer road and netflix. 2-3 hr rides aren't bad. I've done a couple of 4+ hr rides, which were bearable. There's no way I can do this with my old fluid trainer, 1-1.5 hrs was the max.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going against the grain here. I used to have a Kickr but sold it. Why? I decided enjoying my training was more important than hitting exact numbers if I wanted to stay in the sport for the long term. Yes trainer road will make you a stronger cyclist but no more so than a 'dumb' trainer with a power meter will. The quickest road to improvement for many is riding with cyclists, not triathletes! Real road cyclists will make you hurt more than you can believe and your concept of hard on the bike will take a new meaning. That and you get to have fun during your interval work not just staring at a screen.

Get Di2, make your bike sexy and begging you to ride it everyday. Ride with cyclists. Remember how to enjoy the sport!

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! This is what I'd like to know. Since I have a KK, PM and Trainer Road, what advantage does the Kickr provide?

BrianB wrote:
James Haycraft wrote:

I say Kickr.

he's already got a KK though, so while the Kickr is nice the KK is still a decent trainer. And personally ... I think Di2 does make me faster in a TT, due to not ever having to move my hands to shift (and because of that I tend to be in an optimal gear more often than when I had mechanical)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely none! A Kickr is terrible at short intervals <60 sec as there is lag while it ramps up the resistance. For example when I had one to do Sufferfest Revolver (16 x 1 min intervals) I ended up using it in slope mode (essentially dumb trainer like a KK is) as the lag while it increased resistance was too long for a short interval. The way I like to do short intervals is with 5 seconds to go I increase by power to be at the target from the second it starts and then it is just me, my legs and brain to hold that line above the bar. I also found that if I was having an off day the Kickr will not let you have any reprieve so you can end up failing a workout half way through and giving up rather than pushing through and slogging it out at 95% and maybe even finishing strong. Conversely on a strong day it will never let you smash out a interval harder that you expected to be able to and surprise yourself on that last effort.

A bike on the road doesn't have ERG mode, part of the discipline of riding to numbers is being able to hit them using your own brain and feel. Not just mindlessly slogging away.

*wrote intervals <60min when meant 60sec

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Last edited by: mopshiv: Aug 28, 15 23:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 is a huge waste of money
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Di2? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Di2 is a huge waste of money

How so?
Quote Reply