Login required to post replies

Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP-RESOLVED
Quote | Reply
Short version:

Just switched bikes on the Kickr
Installed 11 speed cassette
Performed new spin down- no problem
opened Trainer Road to ride
Get maybe 10 revolutions into the ride and the resistance goes through the room- So difficult can't even turn the cranks over.
Went through everything 3x and still no changes
Tried the Wahoo app- same problem
Running a Quarg power meter

Had no issues like this 2 days ago albeit with a different bike (10 speed and no powermeter)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike
Last edited by: MCSLC: Feb 11, 16 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM might be crosstalking with kickr and confusing it. Try to unpair the Quarq and see if that works. Mine will occasionally get confused, but only for a few seconds. I would also unpair and repair everything. Your kickr may be set to slow control by pm which I don't love (others do). I disable Bc I feel it is less smooth.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Yes tried unpairing a number of times. Initially didn't even pair the quarq. My guess the software is fouling up some how. Problem is I can't tell where it's coming from: trainer road, Wahoo. Very weird but I gotta believe there is a simple solution right in front of me (that I can't find!😠)

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you updated the Kickr's firmware?

If not you will need to use the Wahoo Utility app. If you are not familiar with the process you will have to do the "secret swipe" to get to the firmware updates.
Once you get the Kickr screen of the app there will be a green check mark with Kickr is Connected below. At that check mark quickly swipe to the right and then back to the left. This will show the various firmware updates.

I am on the v1.4.36 and using a Quarq to control the Kickr

I am not sure this will solve your issue (I am not a Kickr guru) but it may be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you don't have any other blue tooth devices in the room. I found if you have multiples it gets confused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just updated firmware= no change :-(

I haven't added any additional bluetooth devices to the room- thanks

I can't imagine what might have happened as I only switched the cassette and the bike????

The Kickr allows me to do a spin up and spin down no problem so there's something adding resistance when I come out of the spin down test.

Even I just jump on the bike and start to pedal with no software running, the trainer allows minimal resistance but by the time I hit ~ 10 revolutions the resistance increases to the point of impossible to turn the cranks. -again with NO software running.

Frustrating!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might sound stupid, but have you tried unplugging the Kickr and plugging it back in? I had some issues with controlling mine initially and that fixed it. Might be worth trying since it only takes a few seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP [xherion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, thanks- tried that.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, maybe this is something:

When the Kickr pairs up with Trainer Road, MODE (in the green section) says ERG 80w. I'm assuming that should be 0- but if so, how do I change it?

Thanks again guys.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure about the ERG 80w unless that is the Power Match option that one can set under the Profile tab at the bottom where one could plug in the potential wattage difference between the Kickr and power meter.

On that page I have selected "Use power meter to control electronic trainer" instead of using an offset.

However, you mentioned that this extreme resistance is occurring in the Wahoo Fitness app as well so it sounds like it is not an application issue. There is something that I vaguely remember having to do when I first got mine to overcome this issue and I simply cannot remember at this moment. The other is I have seen a handful of people that had a new electronic top cap mailed to them from Wahoo as they probably had a faulty cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try adjusting the % down from 100 while riding. Always works for me when I have this same issue. Makes no sense, but works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will check it out. thank you.

Seems very odd that that a failure occurred at the same time I switched bikes though.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just checked- under profile, I have been using " Use power to control..."

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP [gnewton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice- just tried lowering it to 56% and was able to ride. Therefor I'm assuming that the actual power displayed is not accurate (80 watts felt like 150). This must be related to the ERG 80 watts situation.

Thanks again- at least I can ride today- It's 12 degrees out right now - ugh

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shut down any trainer software you're running and fire up the Wahoo Utilities app on your phone. Do a one-time spindown using the Wahoo Utils app. Once it's done turn off BlueTooth then fire up your trainer software and test things out. This tends to fix most surge issues I have had calls on. If it continues then get your KICKR's serial number and call Wahoo.

Hope that helps,
Drew.
http://perfprostudio.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same problem with my Wahoo Snap. Its brand new and I called Wahoo and just got the replacement Snap unit on wednesday. But sadly its the same problem with Trainerroad and the wahoo utility. But whats worst is that the power of the replacement Snap is so off compared to my Power2max PM, its very disappointing. Wahoo customer service is very good I have to say. But I'm at the point where I might return the unit altogether unless I can find a fix for this. I really want to like the unit but its not proving to work right. And I even tried upgrading to the beta firmware and downgraded it. I think it has to do with its electronic braking.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr issues all of a sudden- HELP [jetall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gave your a dice a try this am---no changes. Service ticket started with Wahoo.

On a side note; Did my first class locally using PerfPro this morning; VERY IMPRESSIVE!
Really enjoyed it. Thanks for the time and effort you put into the product- it really shows.

Now if we could just get a Mac version that doesn't require parallels :-)

Mike

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo diagnosed the problem as a bad top cap and will be sending out a new one. Hopefully that will solve my problem.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good deal and hopefully that will work. I suspected this to be the case in my earlier posts because I have seen a few others state similar issues and a new top cap seemed to correct the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo identified the problem and sent me a new "top cap" piece to install. Took 5 minutes. Everything's good to go. Thanks.

Mike
Quote Reply