Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr and Stages delta
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am currently running a Stages power meter on my bike which is connected to a Wahoo Kickr for the winter.

Since I am a little concerned about the two devices measuring slightly different I would like to establish the delta to make sure I have the correct baseline for each device depending on if I am riding indoors or outdoors.

Can someone please let me know how I can e.g. run the Kickr power in Erg mode (talking to an app, say Wahoo app) as well as running the Stages talking to my Garmin Edge 500. Reason I am asking is that my Garmin has a tendency to automatically pick up the Kickr power and hence "override" the Stages connection.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr and Stages delta [Financier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way I can see that scenario occurring is if you attempted to pair the Stages with the Garmin while the Kickr was powered on and outputting power data. If the Garmin is paired with the Stages outside the range of the Kickr, then the discrete ANT+ id of the stages only allows the Garmin display power data from the Stages. With the Kickr powered off/unplugged, check the pairing of the Stages on the Garmin as follows:

1. Power on device
  2. Press and hold MENU
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Bike Settings
  5. Select Bike #
  6. Select Bike Details
  7. Select Bike # (choose Bike # corresponding to bike with power meter)
  8. Press BACK
  9. Select ANT+ Power
  10. Pedal and wait to see Power meter detected.
  11. Select the Sensor 'Details' at the bottom of the page
  12. From that page, pedaling should cause the Garmin to display 'Connected' and the ID of the stages

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr and Stages delta [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed description.

So once I have the Stages + Garmin connected I switch on the Kickr and it will transmit via Bluetooth to any Ipad app and I will have the Stages and Kickr transmitting to the app and Garmin respectively?

In your view is this the best process to establish the delta?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any other ANT+ device? The key is to just get 2 devices reading at the same time. The trainer and the Stages just transmit a signal. You can have as many devices as you want reading that signal. I have an Edge 500, 310XT, and the TrainerRoad program using the ANT+ stick all available to me. So I'd just pick 2 of those, pairing each device independently, and then just ride and note the differences. Also be aware that the delta may be greater at higher/lower RPMS and at higher/lower power.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr and Stages delta [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one Garmin Edge 500 and one Ipad Air at hand which works with ANT+ and Bluetooth respectively. The key for me is to make sure that they can pair independently with the Stages and Kickr.

As mentioned, my issue is that the Edge "prioritizes" my Kickr, hence both the app and the Edge are only reading my Kickr output currently.

Interesting note on the higher/lower power, will definitely investigate once I get to that stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Financier wrote:
As mentioned, my issue is that the Edge "prioritizes" my Kickr, hence both the app and the Edge are only reading my Kickr output currently.
That is still confusing as the Edge 500 is not BT compatible and as I mentioned earlier, once paired with a ANT+ device, whether it be heart rate or powermeter, the id of the paired device prevents the Garmin from displaying data from any other similar devices.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr and Stages delta [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin 910.
All I had to do was keep the Kickr unplugged, pedal to activate my Power2Max (or Stages for you) and the garmin will pick it up. Then power on your kickr and your garmin should ignore it, and you should be able to pair the kickr to your computer/ipad.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr and Stages delta [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response - that's what I'll try!
Quote Reply