Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kick swim workouts
Quote | Reply
Somehow I developed bursitis in my elbow and need to take it easy on my upper body for a bit. I have a race in 3 weeks so I want to make sure to not lose all feel for the water while it heels. Can you suggest some workouts I can do?
Quote Reply
Re: Kick swim workouts [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've asked this question on here..the fish gave me the answer that you just kick normal sets. 10x100, 20-30x50, etc. Mix in fins (a bit), fly kick, breast kick (if you can do it efficiently enough to be beneficial), kick on your side, on your back, with a board. Try to get to 1500-2000m of kicking. Try this one:

400kk/fins + 4x50 (25 fast/25ez) no board
8x75kk with board desc 1-4, 5-8
8x50 fly kick with fins on back
8x25 all out kick with board
100ez cd

That's an 1800 kick set, and should hurt pretty good.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Kick swim workouts [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe spend less time with board and more time kicking on your back but that is just an opinion.

And if it is more a rest issue than an injury I would do sets with one arm out in front, one at the side where you concentrate on rotation. Take an easy stroke when you need to breath and switch sides. So maybe 5/6 strokes per lap. Do 25s so you don't go hypoxic. Head is still, body rotates. Keep the head neutral.

I like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n6ddIL75Ek

except the power needed to do that exercise is crazy and using fins changes your position too much. But it will certainly give you an idea of what you are trying to accomplish.
Quote Reply
Re: Kick swim workouts [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you really want to work on your kick, spend some time doing vertical kicking in the deep end.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Kick swim workouts [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not trying to work on my kick, just get in the water while resting my elbow. I wish we had a "deep" end, all the pools around here are 4.5ft max
Quote Reply