Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kick question
Quote | Reply
I'll start with some background. I was a complete non swimmer, started in the shallow end at age 44. A year later did a 1/2 IM and a year after that my first full. After an eight year layoff I am back in the pool. I know I have used the pool buoy as a crutch but have recently began working without it and I have found I am not actually any slower. I do seem to fatigue faster without but I know that will come with time and fitness.
I have no idea how to work on my kick. Should it be 2,4 or 6 beat? What drills can I use to isolate my kick? Right now I think I am using more of a flutter kick to keep my rear high.
I have to be honest I will never source out a non wet suit race so my race plans will always be wet suit legal. At one time swimming for me a was a necessary evil to get me to my bike. Now I would like to become a real swimmer and enjoy the benefits into old age.
Thanks.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Kick question [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 vs 4 vs 6 beat is really situational, you Ideally want to develop it so that you can cruise along with an easy 2 beat or bring in a 6 beat when you need to accelerate.

Isolating kick

a) just kick with a board
b) kick on your back, no board
c) kick on your side
d) 6 kick switch drill (6 kicks on one side, single stroke, 6 kicks on the other)

One common thing I see is to make the kicks really big and pound the water. No need to do that (it's actually pretty annoying if you are kicking just behind that person). You want to be "bubbling" the water with your feet, but giant splashes aren't necessary.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t bother kicking, unless you’re a good kicker it’s probably not worth it. Listen to Tower26 podcast.
Quote Reply
Re: Kick question [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He says he wants to develop as a swimmer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Kick question [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because EVERYONE knows the wetsuit does all the work for you...(sic).

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resist the urge to predict or aim for a specific final product. 2,4, or 6 beat kicks are situational and related to your intrinsic physical properties. What NONE of them are is fundamental to optimal swimming. What IS fundamental is kick timing. Whatever beat of kick is utilized, the timing of that kick will be the same.

In my sig line is a link to a bunch of swim threads, several of which are dedicated to the development of proper kick timing. Kick Timing Step 1 starts HERE.
Quote Reply
Re: Kick question [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that you are aware of this, but the OP is essentially a beginner and may not. A 4 beat kick is asymmetrical, normally only used by experienced swimmers doing unilateral breathing. I would not suggest a beginner going that route.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply