Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Wht not eat a healthy diet with smaller portions while you excersize? Its very effective and There is absolutely no healthier way to lose weight.
I've tied that but I couldn't do it. I don't eat that much to begin with so I don't have that much to cut. I just end up starving myself.

I'm not overweight and I can maintain my body weight pretty easily but over the offseason I put on a few pounds that are hard to get rid of. I like ketosis because I can knock off the excess weight in a few weeks and I don't have to starve myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more concerned with performance than losing weight. I have tried a vegetarian diet and a low fat diet. Both leave me feeling like crap. I've tried a ketogenic diet before and felt really good. I just never tried a ketogenic diet while training. I just wanted to see if anyone else had good results with training and/or has read the book.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [amagangan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback

Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [sholbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
being a vegan for ethical reasons, i would prefer others do the same. However, i wouldnt argue that a well balanced omnivore diet would not be healthy. I would recommend that over a ketogenic diet for reasons i laid out earlier in the thread. The risks outweigh the benefits and better results can be attained by eating well, and burning more calories than you consume.
Your performance will be better as well.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Last edited by: veganerd: Nov 27, 12 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I have read, kidney stones are a result of a high protein diet. A ketogenic diet is high fat, not high protein diet. I tried a vegan diet before. Felt like hell and was constantly injured. Not the diet for me.

Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
its a really stupid idea. outside of having uncontrolled pediatric epilepsy, there isnt a good reason to try it.

your bones will start to demineralize which would increase your chances of stress fractures, your cholesterol will rise, you will increase the likelyhood of developing kidney stones, and you will probably be constipated and if youre a woman, say bye to your regular periods. but you will probably lose weight so i guess its all roses.

seriously, eat a healthy diet with adequate portions and ignore fad diets. they are all bullshit.

Best advice yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
From what I have read, kidney stones are a result of a high protein diet. A ketogenic diet is high fat, not high protein diet.

kidney stones are a result of a variety of circumstances including genetics and dehydration.

kidney stones from a ketogeic diet are the result of a combination of things:

demineralization of calcium in the bones means excess calcium in your system and it ends up in the kidneys

uric acid doesnt dislove because of the change in your urine ph

the diet leads to a low concentration of citrate. citrate helps dissolve calcium and as i already pointed out, you will have excess calcium leaching from your bones.

i am familiar with the diet from my studies in pediatric epilepsy. (see my signature) the diet is usually tried as a last result when seizures are not controlled by medications. even then its only effective at controlling seizures in half of the people who try it. when it is tried its normally done so under the care of a small team of medical professionals to monitor it.

i realize that this is not the reason to try the diet being discussed here, but im trying to impress upon readers that its not something to mess with. it wont make anyone faster than eating a well balanced diet will and you are putting your health at risk unnecessarily.

Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [JRose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRose wrote:
veganerd wrote:
its a really stupid idea. outside of having uncontrolled pediatric epilepsy, there isnt a good reason to try it.

your bones will start to demineralize which would increase your chances of stress fractures, your cholesterol will rise, you will increase the likelyhood of developing kidney stones, and you will probably be constipated and if youre a woman, say bye to your regular periods. but you will probably lose weight so i guess its all roses.

seriously, eat a healthy diet with adequate portions and ignore fad diets. they are all bullshit.

Best advice yet.

Yes, I second this. Ketogenic diet is terrible idea. I strongly recommend against it. Want to lose weight? Makes calories IN less than calories OUT. And do it in a healthy way that is sustainable.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sholbk [ In reply to ]
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [izzyfuld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

thanks for the feedback.

Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [jmayo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmayo wrote:
Marlonius wrote:
My mantra is that any diet that has a name is a bad diet.

I lost about 50 lb from my heaviest weight with a lifestyle change. If my diet had to have a name it would be the "Stop Eating So Much Food, You Fat Fuck" Diet.

Nobody wants to hear this though - they want some radical quick fix using the "secret doctors don't want you to know".

Classic! I wonder if that book would sell?

I haven't even been able to give it away! To try and drum up interest, I've tried reading excerpts to strangers on public transit, but have mostly been met with confusion and defensiveness.

A more serious answer: I lost weight from 2006 through 2009 (approx 35 lb of that 50) and then got really serious in 2010 and got the last 15 off, leaving me quite lean. This was the hardest part, though maintaining the loss through the habits I learned during the first 35 lb has been pretty easy. People that have known me long term want to know my secret, and people that have only "known me slim" believe that I am one of the gifted few who is naturally lean.

I was always active and got lots of exercise. I didn't get lean until I concentrated on my diet.

Many ask me for advice, none take it. The reality is not exciting or glamourous enough. I used to take people's solicitations of advice seriously and would talk at length about portion control, caloric balance and all the rest, but lately I've felt it's a waste of my time and give them a more abridged version, which happens to be both the name of my diet and its catchphrase.

My wife (also a fit triathlete) has only one success story - a coworker who was inspired by her lifestyle changed his habits and choices and over the course of 2 years has lost close to 100 lb, going from 265 to 175 lb. He is now a big proponet of the Stop Eating So Much Food, You Fat Fuck diet (SESMFYFF, pronounced "Cease-Muff"), and is himself frustrated by the same phenomena - nobody wants to face reality and they think he has some other secret.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want some actual resources and not just the typical bitching on this topic, check out Dr. Peter Attia's work, the link is for a general overview, but poke around the site-lots of info on endurance training and ketosis.

http://eatingacademy.com/...erstood-state-part-i

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of our physiologists, an ultra-runner, did a block of carb depletion. His thoughts are recorded in this 3 part blog series.

http://www.bouldersportsmedicine.org/blog/109313/7683/
http://www.bouldersportsmedicine.org/blog/109313/7684/
http://www.bouldersportsmedicine.org/blog/109313/7685/

My thoughts are this:
Most performance studies utilize a distance similar to 10k, which is a very high intensity effort. I do not believe that a high fat / high protein or low carb diet will improve performance.

I don't even think that those diet strategies will make a difference in performance at all.

However, what the diet will effect is substrate utilization and if you are competing in an event where substrate is a limiting factor- IE long endurance events such as Ultra-running or full/half ironman that they may be beneficial.

Even if you aren't faster, you will need to consume less calories. This decreases the risk of GI distress and decreases the time spent refueling, both of which can impact finish time.

Therefore in certain applications it may have a performance benefit, but like most things it cannot be a universal recommendation.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sholbk wrote:
Has anyone read...The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. Have you tried a ketogenic diet for training? What was your result?

I was just playing with ratios as soon as you cut carbs training suffers. Mind you I am working at higher intensity. It may work for very low intensity like walking. But are you walking your whole triathlon? I am back on a normal "healthy" diet. Just watching cals in and cals out and training paces have skyrocketed along with being in a better mood. If you don't have epilepsy then don't bother. Eat healthy train hard and rest up.

D

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Rock: man, I wouldn't do that shit if I was you!

Eat carbs. Eat fiber. Eat protein. Eat moderate quantities of non-sat fats.

Don't eat refined sugar.

There ya go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my rule...

If a "diet" has a name I don't do it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an interesting (somewhat of) a case study, but that's pretty much it. Moreover, the main question is: does it make you faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On one of his videos:

"Most of the dietary recommendations made in the United States are not firmly grounded in well-controlled science. The implications for this are profound, especially at a time where two-thirds of Americans are overweight and obesity and its related diseases – diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease to name a few – are claiming the lives of more people each year. In this presentation, Peter Attia takes a close look at one such pillar of dietary wisdom, the recommendation that Americans minimize their consumption of dietary cholesterol and fat in an effort to reduce heart disease."

The reason Americans (and the rest of the modern world) are getting fatter isn't because the dietary rec. aren't supported by evidence. They ARE. On the other hand, what he says...well go over check pubmed...unless he is specifically targeting kids with uncontrolled epileptic seizures.
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
It's an interesting (somewhat of) a case study, but that's pretty much it. Moreover, the main question is: does it make you faster?

regardless if it made you fatser, which seems dubious, its not a healthy diet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Francois wrote:

I think any diet that makes you "fatser" isn't healthy. :p

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low carb was the best choice I made in nutritional plans. Dropped 30 lbs from 2009-2011 and won the National Championships. Not to say I could possibly say the "diet" was the single thing that helped me but it was part of the program...and I tried a bunch of nutritional plans.

Interested? Then, I think this is the go to website for information: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/. Jimmy has an awesome, informative podcast, too.

life's short. ride hard.
bill
mobile: 404-242-5966
rustylion54@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ketogenic Diet - Endurance Training [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
veganerd wrote:

I think any diet that makes you "fatser" isn't healthy. :p

John

Touche!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Francois wrote:

you keep repeating this; can you provide some peer reviewed research backing your claim?

the inverse diet, can also be considered unhealthy too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been on a pretty strict paleo(ish) ketogenic diet for about 3 months.

My energy is through the riff and have dropped my 5k time 2 minutes in that time frame.

I recover faster, feel better and all around better mood.

Not saying its for everyone but it works for me

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply

Prev Next