Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kestrel 500 SCI - looking for reviews, comments
Quote | Reply
I'm buying a tri bike soon, hopefully this weekend. At the high end of price I'm leaning towards a Cervelo P2k. I've got a guy at an LBS who says he has a gently used Kestrel 500 SCI that he'll sell me for roughly the same price as a new Cervelo P2k.

I haven't gone completely through the fit process so at this point I'm assuming that the Cervelo will fit me properly. The LBS *thinks* that the Kestrel will fit me as well.

I don't know anything about the Kestrel and have been unable to find any reviews on the 500SCI. What do you know about them? Do you know where I can find a review on this bike? How does it compare in quality to the P2k?
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel 500 SCI - looking for reviews, comments [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 500 Sci is an excellent but misunderstood bike. It isn't a tri bike in the sense that it is not a 78 degree seat tube angle bike. It was more of a road bike. That said, it may be a very nice bike for you if it fits. They never sold as well as they should have becasue people did not understand them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a 500Sci for three seasons. I switched because I wanted 700c wheels on my road and tri bike. It was the most comfortable bike that I've ever ridden. It was adequately stiff and really fast--no seat tube.

But, it is not the same bike as the Cervelo P2k. They are very different. The 500 has a 73.5 degree seat tube, so it is not (by most definitions) a tri bike. I used a thomson straight post on mine with the seat at approximately 75 degrees. The P2k has the flippable seatpost and the "adjustable" geometry. You can also get "adjustable" geometry by using a reversed seat post on the 500, but it probably won't be as suited to that geometry. The 500 also has a pretty long top tube and a taller head tube.

With those two bikes, you're almost comparing apples to oranges. Comparing the P2k to the Km40 would be a closer comparison in my opinion. And of course, I'm sure that at least one poster will say "stop comparing bikes and start comparing fits." But, if you fit equally well on both of them, and they will both work for what you want them for, then go with the one that looks the fastest or that you will want to ride more.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not crazy about 650 wheels and I had not told this LBS that I'm set on steep seat angle.

Thanks for the quick comments. It sounds like however good the kestrel is, it just isn't what I'm looking for.
Quote Reply