Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kerrville Half
Quote | Reply
Anyone racing or things to say about the Kerrville Half distance race on September 27th? I hear its right up there with Kona...(jokes, but I'm pretty stoked to race).
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [SeniorOro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I'll be out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great event! Swim is sort of fast, bike is fast...maybe a couple hills, run is four loops with a couple little hills and plenty of aid stations.

Bike check in is the day before, beer at the finish line
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [alcam24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's going to be a new run course this year. It will be along the river and is an out and back twice from what I understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the olympic in 2013, both the sprint and olympic in 2014, and again will be doing the sprint/oly this year.

I love the venue and small race atmosphere and I can't wait for the new run course along the river. There's a bit of chip seal on the olympic/half bike course that I complain about but it's not a huge deal. Keep your HR in check on the hill run up to T1 and watch your step if it rains and gets a bit muddy. There's a partially blind 90-degree right turn just before the T2 dismount that can get a bit crowded so don't come in too hot. Best of luck out there.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [alcam24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the shorter events good as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Kerrville half a few years ago. I loved the course. It was fast, and not very hilly for the area. I don't know if its changed since then. The swim was nice too. I thought it was well run, and a much better experience than the Austin 70.3 I did the year prior.

@davempratt
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Are the shorter events good as well?

Yes, I did the sprint last year and really liked it and will do the sprint
again this year. It's on Saturday the day before the quarter and half IM events.

Last year in the sprint they did a TT style swim start which I guess is ok. Just
mentioning that as an FYI.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Sep 8, 15 13:17
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish I would have had kids prior to that race, don't think I'll be able to now after that bike. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
witnessed someone cheat on the course yesterday. Turned him in, but race staff didn't seem very concerned.

He was about 10 meters past the mile 7 marker when he stopped (he'd passed by earlier on the first loop and was not moving very fast). He crossed the path and acted like he was stretching against a tree. Then he sat down. One of the course support vehicles running ice drove up and stopped to make sure he was ok. The runner said yes, and the race support offered him water. He accepted and then they ask him if he was on his way back in, as he was now on the "inbound" side of the running path. He replied yes and then ran back toward the finish. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was dropping, but he crossed the finish line. I saw him with a medal after the race and he's still in the results online.

I was not racing, but was spectating while my wife was racing. Guy finished 4th in his AG, so didn't keep anyone off the podium, but still pisses me off.
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes, what AG was that? That's sheisty.

I was on my 2nd loop around mile 9, someone stopped and looked like he was turning around, but I didn't stop and see what he did. Didn't see any drafting, which was a nice sight.

Overall, great venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
under 25
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just looked at his time, said he split 8:16 on the run, that's moving pretty good for stopping. :)

He looked pretty weak across the board except for the run, interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i looked up other times to be sure something weird wasn't going on like he dropped something and went back to get it or some other unlikely, but possible, explanation. Doesn't look like he'd be able to run that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:
Yikes, what AG was that? That's sheisty.

I was on my 2nd loop around mile 9, someone stopped and looked like he was turning around, but I didn't stop and see what he did. Didn't see any drafting, which was a nice sight.

Overall, great venue.

I saw just a bit of drafting. Called out some woman as I passed her, asking how long she was going to draft the guy in front of her. She had been sitting about a length behind him for over a minute as I came up on them and then went around. Did see the marshall a couple of times and pretty sure she dinged a guy in front of me. They (the marshall and her driver) came up beside me and slowed down and she was pointing to some riders about 20-30 yards ahead of me. They stayed there for a while and I saw her pencil come out.

Definitely a nice race. There were some rough sections of chip seal, but they didn't last long. Besides, they just made you feel that much faster when you got back on the smooth stuff. : ) Second year doing it and I'd rank this far above the Austin 70.3.
Last edited by: dgunthert: Sep 28, 15 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
being out there made me want to dust off the tri bike and do another race. I've been running ultras with some occasional sprint tris since IMWI 2012, but haven't done a tri at all this year.

unfortunately, it looks like tris are out until next year, but the wife is talking about doing kerrville again next year, so maybe I'll join her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won and also finished DFL in my age group in the sprint on Saturday.

You would think that a fairly well attended recreational type event like this one
would attract more than one guy in the 60-64 age group.

Man I hate that, being the only one in my age group in an event.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The half seemed to have some older gents racing.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B3CK wrote:
The half seemed to have some older gents racing.
In Reply To:

yeah but my shoulder won't let me swim more than about 15-20 minutes in training.
maybe next year I'll double down, do the sprint/quarter. I think a lot of people did a
double of some sort.

do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Sep 28, 15 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, best of luck to you. There was a 50+ that went 4:38 I think. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a blast yesterday amd would rank it well above Austin 70.3. A fun, fast course with free beer and small tri feel but great support. I'll be there again next year.

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [Chief2Slo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking about doing Kerrville next year. Is it still a split transition? How difficult it that? Is there anything for the family to do while race is going on? How is the host hotel? Thanks for any info!
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [EKH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The host hotel is pretty nice and had a free athletes breakfast race morning but if your planning on checking out race day expect to pay a $50 late checkout fee past 1:00 or have somewhere else to shower lined up. We had to checkout @ 5am before going to T1 and luckily had friends with a rental house for post race. It is literally right across the street from T1 however. The transitions are split but the shuttle service is quick and pain-free race morning. As far as family, I don't know, my wife and I both raced and grandma had the kids at her house, it was a great date weekend! The race itself was a blast and I am already planning for next year.

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Re: Kerrville Half [EKH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like the other poster mentioned the two transition format is not a big deal. The host hotel is ok, not great, just ok in my
opinion. There are other places to stay that are closer to T2 and the finish line where most of the "action" takes place.

The new finish line is in a nice park area. It's a walkable distance to the downtown area just across the bridge.

I would not say that there's a lot to do but there is a place where kids can swim in the river near the finish line.

It's a very nice, well ran triathlon. I may do the sprint/quarter double next year.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What hotels are closer to the finish line? Are they with in walking distance of finish line? It talks about food and free beer at the finish. Is it worth staying and hanging out?
Quote Reply

Prev Next