Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kelly Starrett
Quote | Reply
Has anyone read the new Kelly Starrett book on running. If so do you agree with him? I know he is awesome but I am not sure if I agree with everything in this book.
Quote Reply
Re: Kelly Starrett [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't know that he is awesome.

I wonder if he's the same Kelly Starrett who ran the 2009 Quad Dipsea?

If he is I hope he's learned a lot about running since then, he finished
210 out of 213.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 27, 14 14:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it, but have not read it yet as I had school work last week that took precedence.

What parts are you disagreeing with?
Quote Reply
Re: Kelly Starrett [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his work is awesome and I do a lot of his wod I guess the biggest thing I'm not sure about is he said to always run in flat shoes. I cant think of anyone who makes a flat shoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming he means 0 drop shoes as flat.

I'm wearing some right now so they certainly exist.

Personally I like them, but I also don't like running and wouldn't consider myself an expert on the topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are literally hundreds of running books that are written by more reputable authors, and I personally wouldn't define him as 'awesome' when it comes to running.
Quote Reply
Re: Kelly Starrett [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished it on the weekend. His book is great, but it's a book about getting your body ready for running, he poses 12 mobility standards and once you pass them all you are better prepared to run. The book is short and great at breaking down exercises to fix your mobility problems which can only help your running. The book is $10 and provides a wealth of information on increasing your ability to move. Worth the read and the $10...imo.

PS. In the book he says flat, but in an interview he said "close to flat is fine to"

PPS. Altra - zero drop and they actually have room for your toes to splay
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Oct 27, 14 19:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i read it and am working on some of the hip and foot mobility exercises, I think they will help me undo some of the tightness from 30 years of sports. Some of the other stuff about drinking salt water and sitting being a horrible thing I kind of breeze past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again... vet your authors. This guy has no authority on running and is contradicting what is actually seen in research:

Prospective Injury Prediction Using The Functional Movement Screen In Division I Runners
http://gradworks.umi.com/15/24/1524807.html

CONCLUSIONS: Unexpectedly, higher FMS scores led to an increased injury risk in collegiate runners. It has been suggested that in order to maintain optimal musculoskeletal health, one must have variety in their movements and postures. Since runners do not get tremendous variety in movements from their sport/training, perhaps those with lower FMS scores are achieving that variety, and avoiding injury, through their more variable movement patterns.
So what?- Surprisingly to some, the better a runner scored on the FMS screen, the higher the injury risk. Just shows that a generic non-specific movement screen can't be applied to every single sport and mean anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Kelly Starrett [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:
Again... vet your authors. This guy has no authority on running and is contradicting what is actually seen in research:

Prospective Injury Prediction Using The Functional Movement Screen In Division I Runners
http://gradworks.umi.com/15/24/1524807.html

CONCLUSIONS: Unexpectedly, higher FMS scores led to an increased injury risk in collegiate runners. It has been suggested that in order to maintain optimal musculoskeletal health, one must have variety in their movements and postures. Since runners do not get tremendous variety in movements from their sport/training, perhaps those with lower FMS scores are achieving that variety, and avoiding injury, through their more variable movement patterns.
So what?- Surprisingly to some, the better a runner scored on the FMS screen, the higher the injury risk. Just shows that a generic non-specific movement screen can't be applied to every single sport and mean anything.

my gut feeling is his book speaks to people like myself who are older and have accumulated a lot of imbalances, tightness and bad habits. It's healthy for me to step back and ask how I can expect to be a) not injured and b) less freaking slow If my hips are all tight and I can't hardly balance on my right foot.

Like any other book of this ilk, I don't think it pays to embrace the whole philosophy, but some of the ideas seem to make sense for those of us wondering why we have gotten slow and injured over time.

I look at pictures when I was 25, I had the same shitty stride when I could break 55 for 10 miles, but being young has its benefits...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want to look good naked? Listen the everything Kelly says.

Want to run faster and better, listen to Hanson, Daniels, Noakes, McGee, etc...

You don't get cycling advice from a pastry chef, why would you take running advice from a strength and conditioning coach with no formal bachground in running or coaching runners?

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Kelly Starrett [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His book has nothing to do with looking good naked, it's all about shoring up mobility problems and weaknesses based on mobility tests which are pass/fail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we shouldn't through the baby out with the water, or something else along the lines of something my father would say... the point is. There's some really great stuff in there, and it would be silly to dismiss it all.

Have tight calvs, glutes, quads, lower back ? Some pretty great ways to release that.

What about reoccurring injuries? I'm not a fan of crossfit as much as the next 'xfit h8er' but he gives knowledge of advanced physio. My own physiotherapist has even shown me stuff straight out of his book.

I have seen a lot of track runners and triathletes talk about their physio helping them stay injury free and train harder. Consistency is really key for these sports, and anything that helps you achieve it is worth looking into. Remember, not everyone is an elite.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's a PT and CrossFit gym owner who is in bed with Brian Mackenzie and TJ Murphy. He's all about teaching CrossFitters how to run and making a buck. He hates running.

--------------------------------------------------------

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
Quote Reply