Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Karate Monkey!!!
Quote | Reply
Man I want one of those Surly Karate Monkey 29ers! Anybody out there riding one of those? Looking for something to ride around Washington DC area (C&O towpath, some non-technical cross country stuff, maybe a 12 hour race or off road 1/2 Iron). Looking for something very versatile. Soma also has a nice steel 29er frame. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey mike. lots of guys ride the KM, nothing wrong with that classic steed. if it was me, i would eat ramen a few more days to go upscale a bit, tho. maybe take a look at scott quiring's " q-ball " stock frame. still cheap, handmade, sweet.
here ya go:

http://www.qballbikes.com/qframe.html
Last edited by: t-t-n: Jan 1, 07 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTN

Sweet frame. I will put it on the list. Did I read this right, "Beer bottle opener is located on the right dropout (but please adhere to all local and state ordinances for drinking!)." That is shit hot...

Thanks for the recommendation!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You misread that one my friend! If you use the Surly Tug Nut Chain Tensioner you have the much desired option of opening a tasty beverage on the rear of your bike.
Don't let anyone steer you away from the KM. It is a much better choice in a bike if you want versatility. It is bulletproof, uber cool and so damn versatile that it will make you smile thinking of what you can do to your personal Frankenstein. One thing that I would recommend is that you don't get disc brakes, they take away from the option of plopping a set of cross wheels on and playing real fast. You can go super progressive and turn it into a "69er". Then you want to tell everybody what you ride.
Seriously fun bike.

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Jan 1, 07 8:36
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tug Nut Chain tensioner works on any horizontal dropout!

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice frame

Dirt
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just to clarify:

quiring does have a beer bottle opener as a part of the dropout itself on the q-ball - you do not need the tug-nut.

the KM is a classic frame, it is true. groundbreaking, really. but, with the recent influx of 29er designs most guys would admit it has maybe grown a little long in the tooth. it was supposed to be getting a redesign this year - looks like it will be next year. bikes like the q-ball are just as versatile, but do bring a little more to the table most would say . . . . domestically produced by a custom shop vs the low-bidder in china, a little lighter, sharpened up geometry, etc. no matter, either is nice - just trying to get my man mike a few options outside the mainstream, is all. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't use a tug nut to open frosty beverages. I just find a super model type that likes triathlons and 29ers and let her open them with her teeth. Hence no frosty beverages for me!

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surlys are great rides... heavy but solid. For the average consumer though, once you get parts on the frame, they really put some pressure on your wallet for what you get. I think most people would be happier with a stock bike just because of the value.

Check out these '07 bikes: Fisher Ferrous 29'er, and Bianchi Rita.... better quality steel, and the ferrous is just as versatile as the KM, minus the clearance for huge tires

Also, if you really want to build something up, but want better steel, check out the Salsa El Mariachi... and if you're tall (6'1" +), I've got a Salsa Ala Carte 21" frame I can sell you cheap ($250).

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [The Dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh....I am not that tall. The Salsa is on my list as well, along with Soma. I'm not in a hurry. I can build the thing up from e-bay parts over time. I want something a little unique and very versatile. Thanks for the input...

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can tweak my KM frame then you are truly a God or just got hit by a truck! My KM set up as a single speed isn't heavy at all and IMHO way cooler than a Fisher. Besides, who wouldn't love a bike that is doo doo brown? I just love my KM and I am sure that every other bike mentioned on here is one fine ride. This is just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Karate Monkey is a tank; much better options for 29ers out there. Orbea and Fisher long before a Surley.......esp if you're considering a 12 hour event. Then again, if you're going 12hr, you'll want FS. The Orbea models have good "value" per components....
Last edited by: Diesel: Jan 1, 07 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full suspension is for weenies! The KM is about riding for the joy of riding. Ride rigid single speed and have fun!

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind an extra couple of pounds really. Looking for something more unique than your average Orbea or Fisher. Nothing wrong with those bikes, just want something a bit different (and VERY versatile). Thanks....

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [gottabe-E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well....as a guy who actually rides with the PM for QBP, that's exactly what that want you to believe. ;o)

Plenty of other boutique 29ers that ride "better" (albeit way more expensive) than the Monkey. The only reason to buy a Karate Monkey is if you want the heaviest and most frail-riding 29er on the market. The good news is that some sadomasochists really like it!

The "FS is for weenies" argument really doesn't hold much weight b/c my Superlight was made 8 years prior to a mass-produced 29er and was relatively unchanged until this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Voodoo Dambala very nice for the money and slap a KM fork on it and you should be out less than 500 bucks for the frame and fork. I have a 29er and I was amazed at the difference in ridability and flying over the roots and rocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever rode a KM? Simple yes or no? If you have, great, bash all you want.

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Karate Monkey!!! [gottabe-E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep..what's your point?

It's a cheap/heavy 29er. Why are you talking it up to be the mack daddy that it's not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have ridden one then feel free to bash. You have a valid opinion. That is all that I am saying.
I guess tha I am just a sado that loves to ride his KM. As far as any form of suspension goes, you will catch me riding one of those right after you see me on a fat chick. My opinion and only mine, but I have to be passionate, right?

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well....I am not sure what PM for QBP means but.....The Karate Monkey has gotten some pretty good reviews on many sites. Looks like handling is one of it's stronger points according to the reviews. What do I know though...I just want to have fun riding on a simple, inexpensive bike that is not just like everybody else has. Also something versatile. Honestly, after checking out the site that TTN pointed out, I am leaning that way anyway.

A boutique bike sounds nice, and I am sure you are right, but it comes down to $$$. I already spend enough on road bike stuff. This is supposed to be an inexpensive addition, just for fun.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right on, mike. the q-ball does have a lot going on. hard to beat, on several levels. go to the full-on quiring cycles page, for a look at the company/guy those bikes are coming from. very nice.

it is also true that there are a lot of inexpensive production bikes out there. by the by, the bianchi rita is aluminum, not steel. ya gotta be careful, tho - you can end up spending more than want pretty easy, and have basically just another chinese whatever-bike on yer hands in the case of most of the ones outlined thus far. not that there is anything wrong with that . . . . . . but a salsa, for example, is just that - it is not a boutique level bike - hasn't been for a number of years. if you do not mind, and just want something like that take a look at at this page of offerings put together by the crew at 29inchesdotcom:

http://twentynineinches.com/29er-frames/

240 bux for the zion. not bad. probably made in the same factory as any name brand, or similar. for that matter the redline is alright, too for the money ( or lack therof ). mind you - like i said, the q-ball is worth the few extra bones, but if you are just gonna get a chinese whatever, might as well not pay for the marketing that the name brands are hitting you for . . . . . . . . .
Last edited by: t-t-n: Jan 1, 07 13:38
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said the KM was a shitty bike...quite the opposite. QBP (Quality Bicycle Products is the largest distributor of bikes parts) "is" Surly.....

You mentioned that you are considering a 12 hour or endurance MTB races and want something versatile. The KM is NOT that bike. The KM is a heavy f/f which is best suited for a commuter bomb proof tank and/or a trashing SS for those purists who enjoy riding a "POS". I don't mean "piece of shit" in a bad way....it's just that the KM was specifically made to be a cheap 29er and fill a avoid in the marketplace while 29 OEM parts were being made.

Certainly a classic, but not an enduro machine. User reviews are pretty biased, perhaps run over to MTBR in the 29er forum (not the reviews).

Good luck.
Quote Reply

Prev Next