Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kalibur vs SoftRide
Quote | Reply
I'm a 50's woman ag'er who has been riding a SoftRide for the last several years and have been comfortable. I'm looking for a new bike and have been riding a Kalibur for the last couple of weeks. My dilemma is that I don't seem to be any faster or more comfortable on the Kuota than on my old bike. I'm looking for opinions about the need to upgrade. Why did you decide to upgrade your bike and was the experience everything you expected? In other words, did you like your dream bike after you got it?
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [philmor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that if you were riding the softride for a long time and were used to it that there would be no other frame (except maybe a titanflex) that would soak up the road vibrations in the same way. Anything with a seat tube is going to give a harsher ride.

It will likely take more than just a few weeks of riding before you get used to the new bike (enough that you'll be really comfortable).

I don't think that you'd see much in the way of performance gains switching from a softride to the Kuota since they are both nice bikes driven by the same motor :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I upgraded my old softride with a new softride. The rocket TT frame is much faster and lighter than my oldschool Team RoadWing, yet the comfort is the same. What I like best about softride is how good I feel on the run after 112 miles on the bike. That's hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [Softride_Rules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why (do you think) the Rocket is faster than the Roadwing? Can you give me more details... times, courses, thoughs... thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I can't say scientifically, and of course it could be a result of improved fitness, but I can tell you that my average speed on the IMC course when riding my old softride was about 17.6 MPH. Last Saturday, on my Rocket TT my average speed was 18.6 MPH. I've ridden the entire course four weeks in a row now, and I'm consistently between 18.4 and 18.6 MPH. That pace brings me in with a sub-six hour bike split, which I'm happy with.

Like I said, maybe I'm just in better shape now, but I've been riding pretty consistently all year, so I think the bike has something to do with it.

The differences in the two bikes are:

1. Weight. The Rocket is a few pounds lighter than the Roadwing

2. Stiffness. The beam on the Rocket doesn't have as much sway as the Roadwing, so more of your pedal power goes into moving the bike forward, I think. The stiffness also seems to help with the hill climbs; I'm climbing faster, but that might be due to my hill repeat workouts paying dividends.

The Softride frame really seems to help with downhill descents, too. I seem to get to the bottom of a hill before my training partners. I guess its due to the frame design, but what do I know.

I often tell people who ask about my bike that the Softride bike is like a Macintosh computer in a PC world. People who own Softride, love them, and people who don't own them, think they're weird.
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [Softride_Rules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ain't it du trute. Includin' du faster descent.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every thread that mentions SoftRide inspires me to ask the same question: Can anyone confirm/deny the demise of the SoftRide bike business? I actually tried cold-calling dealers and asking, and most of them gave me the same answer: They haven't had any new stock in ages, they haven't had any communication with the company, and they are as in the dark as I am.

I love Debra (my Classic TT), and if SoftRide is out of business, I need to start thinking about how I'm going to keep her going for another decade.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't comment on the demise, but I know someone who placed an order for a new decal last week and recieved his order quickly. I did hear from one person who said they were trying to sell the brand to a large bike company who would position the bike as a niche market product, but that's just gossip, I'm sure.

Their website doesn't seem like it's been updated in ages. Have you ever tried calling the company and ask them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just ain't gonna feel faster on double diamond. Softrides are both more aero and 1000X more comfy than any other bike, save possibly a Titanflex.

Keep your Softride, especially if it's a traditional beam. I have two extra beams and quite a few bits to mount them (even if I have to BUILD myself a new frame) for the next few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't switch from a SoftRide but from a sweeeeeet american Steel Gunnar (Waterford) Hot Dog (now Roadie). I won't sell it and love it on the long rides.

But boy o boy when I stepped into a new Kalibur...

it was like stepping into...well...carbon lightweight sweetness. Staying aero (even up the hills) for miles like i never could have imagined.

No stiffness issues at all (and I'm doing at least 100m/wk).

I could not be happier.

My .02
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to someone at the company about a month ago when I was ordering spare pivot assemblies. They are no longer making bikes but are in the process of selling the bike business. They said Adam Greene has taken a job with Scott.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [daddy doodoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you think the steel round-tubed SR frames compare with their more aero-like brothers/sisters. I have an R1 with 10-12,000 miles and an old but not used Norwester frame collecting dust. Just wondering if the Norwester is worth hanging onto as the next build?
Quote Reply
Re: Kalibur vs SoftRide [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a no-seatpin/seatpost standpoint alone, the Norwester would be more aero than many double-diamond frameset. I'd hang onto it.
Quote Reply