Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

KICKR Calibration kit usage
Quote | Reply
Have any of you guys bought/used the KICKR Calibration kit?

I bought one... but haven't used it yet.

For those who have used it... have you taken your bike off of the KICKR for calibration? I watched the video... and it shows it with no bike attached, but I don't really see a good reason to take the bike off. I seems it wouldn't make any difference in accuracy. If I'm wrong, no big deal to take off the bike... but just wondering what you think?
Last edited by: Donzo98: Sep 21, 14 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.... No responses.

Am I the only one who bought this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had no idea such a thing existed... interesting. Is there a recommended interval to re-calibrate (time, use, etc.)?
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
Had no idea such a thing existed... interesting. Is there a recommended interval to re-calibrate (time, use, etc.)?

Here you go....

http://www.wahoofitness.com/...calibration-kit.html

Got mine Friday... still in the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. Don't yet own a Kickr but after watching the video, based on the placement of the beam on the Kickr, seems like the non-drive side stay is directly in line with where the beam is supposed to be positioned thus preventing proper calibration. Of course stuff like this has me wondering how long before Wahoo releases an Android or PC version of the Utilities, so that I can replace our Tacx Fortius and Bushido trainers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I replaced my Tacx Fortius with KICKR and I can't be happier. SO many software issues and hardware issues and numerous workouts switched to the fluid trainer or not done altogether thanks to the Fortius's famous problems.

With KICKR it's get on and go. I run it from my phone, or from Trainer Road, or whatever. No issues. It tracks very well with my SRM and maintains calibration during long rides or temperature changes. Even if it were to change, it's no trouble to switch apps to the Utilities App to do a mid-workout spin down or reach over to the PC mouse to do a spin down through trainer road. Takes like 15 seconds.

the KICKR actually reads a few watts *higher* than my SRM, but so do both of my PowerTaps so I think my SRM might be a tad low.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.â€
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
I replaced my Tacx Fortius with KICKR and I can't be happier. SO many software issues and hardware issues and numerous workouts switched to the fluid trainer or not done altogether thanks to the Fortius's famous problems.

With KICKR it's get on and go. I run it from my phone, or from Trainer Road, or whatever. No issues. It tracks very well with my SRM and maintains calibration during long rides or temperature changes. Even if it were to change, it's no trouble to switch apps to the Utilities App to do a mid-workout spin down or reach over to the PC mouse to do a spin down through trainer road. Takes like 15 seconds.

the KICKR actually reads a few watts *higher* than my SRM, but so do both of my PowerTaps so I think my SRM might be a tad low.

SRM is definitely low. Should read higher. So long as the readings are repeatable though it doesn't really matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't know about it either. why does one need it? doesn't the spindown calibrate work well enough?
SS
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [sandtiger steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sandtiger steve wrote:
Didn't know about it either. why does one need it? doesn't the spindown calibrate work well enough?
SS

Spindown estimates base torque offset caused by losses in drivetrain and the trainer itself. That calibration kit adds ability to also correct the slope (ratio between the actual torque and what the trainer thinks it is)
----------------
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:

All my power meters read low, all those investments and I am still mediokre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how they can justify $100 for a calibration kit. I had issues a while ago with my power numbers on mine and they mentioned a kit would be coming out soon. Mine has always read 20-30 watts higher than my quarq but I've gotten used to it. Had no idea it would be $100 for the kit. The Kickr isn't cheap to begin with...least they could do would be to include something like this which is basically correcting their own product issue? Then again it did feel like they rushed this thing out the door...they owe a certain blogger a fat commission check for the bulk of their sales in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [Coley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calibration quality masses (weights) are really freaking expensive for what is essentially a hunk of metal.

I have no idea what size they are using but here is a cross reference for what calibration quality items cost

http://www.uline.com/BL_4489/Calibration-Weights?pricode=WS376&AdKeyword=calibration%20weights&AdMatchtype=e&gclid=CjwKEAjwtIShBRD08fKD1OWSik4SJAAuKLovJsVR8xO6UX2Yp9WXnzabNr36DeYRAxx6IN2eLdcENBoCVkPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coley wrote:
...The Kickr isn't cheap to begin with...

Do you actually have an idea how much it cost them to make, distribute, support etc those trainers? Why is it that people do not think too much of spending few thousand on bike and accessories but then the want to pay close to nothing for bike trainers?

As for "certain blogger" why not to try to think yourself? Real powe meter costs few hundred dollars. Or more than a thousand in some cases. And those guys do nothing but developing and perfecting their power meters. If you want trainer to be of the same grade/precision it only makes sense to expect that it will cost just as much as the power and add whatever else that trainer has on top.

I have discount at my LBS so I paid $900 for KICKR. Subtract the cut taken by LBS/distributor and make a wild guess what Wahoo actually gets for KICKR after paying costs of conducting business. Does not look like there is any room for high grade power meter inside.

Just for fun. Real industrial grade torque meters cost usually $1500 and up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for reference....here is an industrial torque sensor.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/TQ513.html

$1900 for just the torque.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was just looking for this on their website, seems like the link doesnt go anywhere now...any idea if they stopped selling it?
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ollie3856 wrote:
was just looking for this on their website, seems like the link doesnt go anywhere now...any idea if they stopped selling it?

Me too. I can't find one online to purchase anymore. Even using google.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think they sell it, they simply send it out to folks as needed. I believe they take a deposit from you on it, refunded when you return it.
I used it on mine, brought the spindown from 1300 down to around 400, but didn't fix the wattage difference between the kickr and my P2M. But the difference is fairly consistent, and otherwise the kickr has been great, so pretty happy.
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

They sent me a calibration kit (no deposit required) and I used it because my unit was recording high.

It still drifts as it heats up, but it's not as bad now.

One thing I would suggest is that before you do the calibration using the kit get the unit NICE AND HOT - ride it for 30 mins or so....
It made a difference for me, and brought down the amount by which the Kickr was over-reporting.

Overall, I would like the Kickr to report closer to my Quarq but it's off by a consistent amount, so it's not that bigga deal. When using TrainerRoad with the Kickr, I just use 345 as my FTP vs my true FTP of low 330s....
Quote Reply
Re: KICKR Calibration kit usage [Mikemartin77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mikemartin77 wrote:
Overall, I would like the Kickr to report closer to my Quarq but it's off by a consistent amount, so it's not that big of a deal. When using TrainerRoad with the Kickr, I just use 345 as my FTP vs my true FTP of low 330s....
So until such time as Wahoo offers a firmware update that allows owners to to address the power disparity, since the Kickr is producing consistent, repeatable power curves, for those with powermeters that allow manual update of the slope, why not use the Kickr as the benchmark and modify the slope of the powermeter so that power output is more closely aligned which will temporarily eliminating the ambiguity?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
I don't think they sell it, they simply send it out to folks as needed. I believe they take a deposit from you on it, refunded when you return it.
I used it on mine, brought the spindown from 1300 down to around 400, but didn't fix the wattage difference between the kickr and my P2M. But the difference is fairly consistent, and otherwise the kickr has been great, so pretty happy.

They used to sell it for $100. I have the same consistent difference which isn't that big of deal to me because I have a crank based power meter. Mine appears to be more of a difference in slope though because at low powers the KICKR over reports and at higher powers it under reports with respect to my crank based system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vikingmd wrote:
gibson00 wrote:

They used to sell it for $100. I have the same consistent difference which isn't that big of deal to me because I have a crank based power meter. Mine appears to be more of a difference in slope though because at low powers the KICKR over reports and at higher powers it under reports with respect to my crank based system.

Well, that sounds like mine. My kickr never under-reports compared to my crank, but the percentage by which it over-reports seems to vary quite a bit based on the how hard I'm going. At easy wattages, the kickr is as much as 30+ % higher, but once I get to say, 70-80% FTP and higher, the difference is more like 7%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting mine is within 5-10 watts generally so more like 2-5% but I found that it was key to perform a spin down after 30 minutes to get the closest power. After that though it stays within that range from ride to ride with little variation. Much of the difference could be attributed to drive train losses and of course I am not sure which is the correct number (e.g. gold standard).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just used the calibration tool on my KICKR... it always reports 431 offset. Going to warm it up and do a spin down.

Will report to see if the offset changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the calibration...offset went from 431 to 416 consistently.

Perceived effort for the same wattage is now less than before. That is also reflected in a lower HR at a given wattage.

Have any of you guys used the calibration weight and arm?? What were your results??
Quote Reply