Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes
Quote | Reply
So with the purchase of the zipp wheels (404 front and 808 back) I also purchased 4 zipp tubes with the zipp extender. My questions:
1. When you race, do you pre attach the extender to the tube for a fast change or attach ext after flatting?
2. If the extender is pre-attached, how many tubes do you normally carry for a race. Without the extender I can squeeze in two tubes in my saddle bad, with the ext, only one?
3. How many tubes should I carry on the bike for my first full IM (IMMT)?
4. Are zipp tubes good? As I was rolling the tube to place in my saddle bag it kind of had a twist in it which I never noticed on other tubes. Two of the four tubes I bought seem to have this twist. So if you position the tube in my hand and using my fingers slide the tube while it is flat, all around, by the time I make a full rotation the tube is facing the opposite way, ie if I started with the valve facing down, when I finish going around, the valve is facing up. Is this normal? When I put some air in it it seems fine but my concern is when I place it in the wheel it may twist and fail prematurely. Again, is this normal or should I return the tubes?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Latex yo
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [avikoren1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pre-attach my extender to my spare tube for races so I dont have to screw around with it during a race if I need it. Also- the in-line extenders are way better than the old school ones; not sure which ones you got.

I only one tube with me during races for 70.3s and for IM I carry one with me and throw one in special needs just in case. I figure if I flat more than once per 56 miles my day is over anyway.

I dont have much experience with zipp tubes. Havent heard anything bad about them though. Most people will tell you to go with latex tubes over zipps for better rolling resistance, etc but use what you are comfortable with mounting correctly. I personally use continental race tubes- I really suck at mounting latex so gave up...

Not sure about the twisting thing you describe. If they are fine with air in them I think they are probably fine... if you are concerned try to return them or use them as spares.

Have fun with the Zipps- nice wheels!

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use the extender from the flatted tube. Make sure to pre-wrap the threads of the spare tube with teflon plumber's tape so you will get a good seal.

Race with latex tubes, but the spare in your flat kit should be butyl (std. black tube). Butyl tubes are easier to install and hold air (and especially CO2) much better than latex

One tube is fine (even for IM). Carry some adhesive patches to deal with any additional flats. As mentioned put a spare tube in special needs in case you used the one from your flat kit before then.

On the twist, when you inflate the tube it should go away.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using the zipp tubes with the zipp extender. The shop owner installed the extender for me. The tube has a removable core so he removed the core, installed the extender and the core back on. He didn't use any teflon tape or such thing, simply screwed in the extender. Is that not sufficient, ie should have used tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tape helps ensure a good seal. Without it sometimes the threads leak (depends on the machining of the extender and valve stem). As long as it's not leaking when you pump it you're fine.

In a race when you are losing time (and only have 1-2 CO2s) making sure you have a good seal is important.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do not necessarily need teflon tape. If the tire is holding pressure overnight(it should lose some pressure just like every tube), I wouldn't worry about it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just looked up zipp installation instructions and they recommend to use grease. I removed the extender and followed zipp instructions and used grease. It goes to show that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race with latex. Use the zipp tubes for spares or training. I do preinstall an extender for race spares - otherwise you have to spend race time dealing with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
Race with latex. Use the zipp tubes for spares or training. I do preinstall an extender for race spares - otherwise you have to spend race time dealing with it.

Doing my first full in 4 weeks at IMMT. For this race I will stick to the regular tubes but for my next race I will give latex another try. I tried it once and had a blow out on my first ride with them. Read more about how to install and will try it, but not taking chances on this upcoming first time to go for the full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
integrator wrote:

Doing my first full in 4 weeks at IMMT. For this race I will stick to the regular tubes but for my next race I will give latex another try. I tried it once and had a blow out on my first ride with them. Read more about how to install and will try it, but not taking chances on this upcoming first time to go for the full.

This doesn't make any sense, its not like the race is tomorrow. You have 4 weeks to try out latex tubes. Take the time to learn how to install them correctly and go on a few rides with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
avikoren1 wrote:
It goes to show that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself :)

x2

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run 404s. For first time this year have used latex tubes with extenders. Love them. There is a great tutorial on this site about properly using extenders. Very simple and imo one of the better how toos on this site.

I find teflon really helps make a tight seal to enable easy inflation to 100 psi etc.

Second notion of carrying butyl as spare due to co2 leakage and bc I imagine they'd be easier for fixing a flat under race pressures.
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
I run 404s. For first time this year have used latex tubes with extenders. Love them. There is a great tutorial on this site about properly using extenders. Very simple and imo one of the better how toos on this site.

I find teflon really helps make a tight seal to enable easy inflation to 100 psi etc.

Second notion of carrying butyl as spare due to co2 leakage and bc I imagine they'd be easier for fixing a flat under race pressures.

Is there a latex tube with a removable core?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course there are. Vittoria and Bontrager are a few examples.
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I just want to note: Make sure, that if you use a valve extender that just screws onto your tube, leaving an open end at the top, to NOT unscrew it IF your tube has a removable core.

Or, in other words, the open ended, screw-on valve extenders? Only use those with tubes that do NOT have removable cores.

I had a flat front last week and ended up unscrewing the extender from the rear 88mm. Little did I know the extender was so tight onto the tube's valve, that it unscrewed the core as well, leaving me with 2 flat tires on the side of the road.

In hindsight I could have ended up fixing both, as I brought a spare tube and had 2 CO2 cartridges, but ended up getting a ride home from the locals.

---

And final thing: Make sure those valve extenders will fit through the carbon bore in your wheelset. The open-ended ones tend to be larger in circumference than the kind that screw directly onto the empty core. Make sure all valve extenders fit through your wheels before you take them out on the road.

---

So it "can" get a bit tricky if you start mixing and matching tubes with removable/nonremovable cores along with screw-on/ core-replacement valve extenders.
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [FlacVest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the the 80mm core Continental tubes on my 404 FC's. They are around $10 shipped on ebay. Slightly more for the lightweight version.

I got a flat and only had the Zipp valve extenders with me. Long story short, I ended up taking a $40 Uber XL ride home because I did not bother figuring out beforehand that I had the wrong tubes with me to work with that style of valve extender. Both the tire and tube were trashed. That was an expensive flat.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Jul 19, 15 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yea; I didn't include this in my original text, but some extenders won't even fit in certain valves.

I think from memory, the valve extenders that work with tunes that have removable cores do not fit over tubes with cores. Figured that out when I thought I'd be using my 80mm extender.

Nope.
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just use 80 mm tubes in my 404s and have never had a problem. i'm a bit anal so i will carry 2 tubes on my bike for immt and have 2 in my special needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [FlacVest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a rear 808. Went into 2 bikes shops and neither had the right tube/valve extender combinations (primarily because the zipp extender didn't fit the valve).

Would someone be kind enough to help a rook out on which tube and extender combination I should purchase?
Quote Reply
Re: Just purchased zipp wheels, a couple of questions on tubes [gradyholt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gradyholt wrote:
Just bought a rear 808. Went into 2 bikes shops and neither had the right tube/valve extender combinations (primarily because the zipp extender didn't fit the valve).

Would someone be kind enough to help a rook out on which tube and extender combination I should purchase?

Wait, how many combinations did they have?

IME, you have the extenders that

A) Screw on top of the valve and just provide an open hole
B) Screw onto the base of the valve after you remove the core, and allow installation of a new core, creating a longer, unified valve.

So what I was saying is, you can use A on anything but you run the risk of unscrewing the valve if you try to take it off.

B won't screw onto a valve with a nossile at all because it only screws onto bare valves with no core.

Now if there are 3 valve types I'll just say 'eff this, and abandon cycling all-together.

---

The easiest thing to do is to just get the kind with an open end. IT works with everything. Then only buy tubes with non-removable valves.

OR

Buy tubes with removable valves, apply new extenders at home, and do all of this on the current and SPARE tube, so you never have to worry about it on the road. You just ride around with 3 (front/rear/spare) tubes that have 160mm valves.
Quote Reply