Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just one last thing, Tom
Quote | Reply
I've just got my Kestrel back from my LBS and there is a big 1"x1 1/2" chunk of paint missing from the underside of the non-drive side chain stay. Is there any associated problem (other than aesthetics) with leaving the bare carbon fibre exposed, I was advised to touch it up with clear lacquer. Also why is it white and opaque under the paint and not the visible weave I expected?

Whilst I have your attention, I am setting up said bike on my new CP and wasa going to leave it set up on there and use this on my CP long term,aside from tire wear and sweat, anyothere probolms with this idea?

Thanks, Julian in England.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Just one last thing, Tom [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's kind of disappointing. Do you mean to say the bike shop put the paint chip in there? That I am aware of (and with the usual disclaimers) you frame should be fine depending on the depth of the damage. That's the problem with doing this on the web- tough to tell if its serious or not. We recently thought we spotted a crack on a Kestrel that belonged to Karen McKeachie (multi-time World Champion) so we returned it to Kestrel for repair/evaluation. To me, structural (potential) damage is like "O" rings on the space shuttle: You don't take chances. We returned it, they did a fine job of quickly inspecting it and getting it back to us and there was nothing wrong with it. It is a good idea to touch-up the affected area. Hmmmm. Oh, no problem putting your bike on an indoor trainer. The usual things apply: Keep it clean and dry, lube it, air the tires, guard against perspiration intrusion into the frame/components, be sure the bike is correctly mounted on the trainer and frequently check it to be sure it didn't work loose. Good luck my friend, cheers!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just one last thing, Tom [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom, for those words of wisdom. There is nothing to suggest any damage other than cosmetic.

Julian

Quote Reply
Re: Just one last thing, Tom [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your experience been like with Kestrel frame cracks? Are they common? I have a friend who had his sent out before Hawaii this year when he found a crack. Kestrel seems to have excellent after sales service and repaired it for him, but tales like this make me wonder if this is a big problem with using carbon as a frame material.
Quote Reply
Re: Just one last thing, Tom [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, there is not a problem using carborn fiber. At All. Period. Yes, it does occaisionally fail, as do ALL materials used in a lightweight, high performance racing equipment environment. The equipment we use is engineered for performance and light weight first, durability second. My personal experience with Kestrel bikes specifically ( I have owned three and sold many) is that they are more durable than most other brands of bikes in other materials. The thing to keep in perspective is that everything fails occasionally and/or eventually. It's racing equipment.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just one last thing, Tom [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That white stuff under the clear coat is primer.

I believe in the past year or so, Kestrel no longer uses the two step process of painting. They have gone to a one-step process where the clear coat is included in a single coat application. Unforturnately, that process still won't protect your decals unless you add a clear coat over them. Seems like your back to a two-coat process (less primer).

Chips on your kestrel is not lacquer.... go to a professional paint shop (auto paint stores usually the best)...show them your problem. They will give you the correct touch up paint and retardent. If you you use off the shelf clearcoat (lacquer) it may not work (make that, probably won't work). Something will go wrong... what, I'm not sure... because I'm not sure what paint is on the bike and precisely what portion of the paint is missing.

FWIW Joe Moya

Better yet, Call Kestrel... if you get the right guy...he can tell you exacly what to do. You might go their web sight also... they may have technical paint touch up details. The last time I looked I couldn't find much about paint... but, that's been a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Just one last thing, Tom [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, Joe. I'll email kestrel, as it's easier than working out the time difference with England.

Quote Reply