Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice from the ST collective...

I have a half marathon in 10 days and have just finished off a course of antibiotics. I was pretty out of it for the better part of 10 days. I have missed a week of training all of which would have been part of my taper. I wasn't overly fussed, but then went for a 6 miler today to feel things out and felt pretty flat.

Should I jump back into my plan or do some sort of modification (and if so what would you suggest for the modification).

If it matters my goal for the race was 1:27 and I have the following remaining workouts planned:

2 easy
3 @ short tempo 6:21
1 easy

8 @ 7:20

10 - 20 min w/u
6 x 400 w/ 400 RBI
10 min c/d

3 easy

Race day

So, basically not a lot left to give me any comfort that I have the fitness I expected come race day.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think it's inevitable that you'll have at least a minimal drop in output foryour race. I recently had a similar problem, but was out of it for about 20 days and had about the same time to "get ready" for a marathon. I, too, really struggled with my training runs - especially my long runs. (I was training for a marathon). I simply followed my original taper plan with the simple modification of going hard on the hard(er) days and making sure that if things felt hard on the "easy" days that I went even easier so it didn't feel so hard. I didn't meet my pre-season goal of a low 4 hr marathon but I did PR by 6 minutes. I think you will be surprised by how your body has stayed ready for this race - the adrenaline will kick in and unless you're still sickly I think you can do just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a very similar issue, not because of sickness, but travel for work. My last 2 weeks preceding my 1/2IM final race let me train only a few times. While I was a bit anxious about blowing it the home stretch, I only did short workouts, with just a little bit of snap and trained by feel. As I've done this sport for years, deep down I knew i'd be ok, but that mind tells you you're losing fitness. Long story short, I was able to run a higher HR through all 3 sports than I've ever had, and had podium finish at National Champs. In talking with my coach, he confirmed what I felt....I was so well rested that I could go very deep in the well because of very high early aerobic fitness.
If your training has been consistent and progressing well, I feel you have a great chance at an excellent race. If it was a shorter race I might say the neuro muscular degradation might have an effect, but when doing a more endurance based event, I think you will work into it and feel awesome. Just resist trying to make up now, and go in fresh, rested and ready to go. The mindset you have will take you a long way....go for it and hopefully you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the antibiotic? If it was Cipro, i'd be careful.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/fda-warns-of-tendon-damage-linked-to-antibiotics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd pick up a good probiotic ASAP. Getting your gut biome back in working order will probably be as important (if not more important) than training between now and then. (Would recommend this one from Juice Press; best I've used. That said, Whole Foods or a health store will likely have a solid one for you since best to get it sooner than later.) Make sure to eat a very healthy, vegetable/legume diet (focus on fiber) to allow for the probiotics to stay alive in your system.

I know a few people who've had pneumonia from Ironman training and have had to go on antibiotics for a stretch. They were down for the count for quite some time. The duration of being on the antibiotics factors into how quickly you're able to rebound. If you required a week or more on the antibiotics, you're probably going to feel flat for a while. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the warning. I did look it up before I resumed training and it wasn't of the variety that can cause issues with ligaments tightening, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [r_mohr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good tip. I will go and get some!
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [TriThisTriThat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like good advice. I will do the remaining hard stuff hard and take the easy way easier than I otherwise would.
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to hear this. I would normally try and run, limiting myself for the first 9 miles to a HR of 158 and then run at HR lactic threshold for the remainder. This has served me well in the past. However I think I might be mislead a bit if I go with this approach. I may allow myself to run in the low 160's and be a bit uncomfortable.

If it work great - brilliant, the body is an amazing machine! If I blowup I will blame it on being sick not on a bad strategy - pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what was your antibiotics for? If it was for pneumonia, reset your goals. Skin infection, probably less of an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sinus infection / cold related complication.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't do it. Your immunity system is already compromised. Reflect and enjoy the holidays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just take it easy and listen to your body. In 10 days you should feel quite a bit better but perhaps not 1:27 better. I'd be more concerned if you were in the midst of a viral process and trying to run while ill.
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay - thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said, I would do very little and that just to preserve the muscle memory. I did as little as 2 mile runs with 4-6 pickups to where I felt a bit loaded up. Just start feeling fast. As anyone with knowledge of endurance sports knows, your work was done weeks ago, and anything closer than 6-8 weeks before the event is not going to translate to meaningful advances. Go in fresh and ready to race as opposed to many of those next to you just wanting it over. Be hungry. I was able to maintain a HR 10-15 bpm higher than I should have just by having a good base and being rested. Believe in yourself and your training, given you did the work in the past months. You won't feel very snappy early, but work into it and have a great day. Race with your head, and good luck!!!!!

SBRinSD wrote:
I was hoping to hear this. I would normally try and run, limiting myself for the first 9 miles to a HR of 158 and then run at HR lactic threshold for the remainder. This has served me well in the past. However I think I might be mislead a bit if I go with this approach. I may allow myself to run in the low 160's and be a bit uncomfortable.

If it work great - brilliant, the body is an amazing machine! If I blowup I will blame it on being sick not on a bad strategy - pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a course of antibiotics for strep a little less than 3 weeks out from my goal race and felt like poop for a bit. I didn't miss much training, didn't take any days off, but severely limited intensity and moderated volume slightly.

If it helps, I felt like I was back to full strength pretty quick - if anything, I was rested and ready to roll.

I think there's a good chance the rest helped. Hay was likely already in the barn..

Worst case, run the race and if it doesn't work out like you planned, do another short build/taper and race again a month later.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Sinus infection / cold related complication.

Just FYI, antibiotics for "sinus infections" are rarely truly indicated. So I would question the person who prescribes next time as to whether it is really likely to help. Same goes for "bronchitis". FWIW, you would likely feel like crap for a while with a bad head cold, whether you too antibiotics or not. Cheers and good luck!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently on day 5 of 10. Company Christmas party Saturday night, marathon Sunday morning. Going to try three miles at lunch today to make sure all is good; will be the first run I've done in a week.

Nobody ever accused me of being the sharpest tool in the shed.
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you on 10 days of antibiotics? What are we treating? Antibiotics are SO overused, lead to diarrhea, sun sensitivity, drug rashes and allergic reactions, drug resistance, etc. FYI am an ER doc...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an update...

Ran my HM today.

First 5 miles I was on pace for 1:27 and HR was right at my target of 160.

Somewhere in the 6th mile I was unable to keep my heart rate up no matter how hard I pushed. I took in a gel to try and get out of the lull. Ended up with some GI issues.

Finished out the race with a HR in the mid 150's with a time of 1:33.

Not my best race... but probably took more focus than any prior race.

Curious if there is anything to be learned from this???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious what you ended up doing for your taper?

I think this is an expected result, given your situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Just off antibiotic and 10 days to half mary [TriThisTriThat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 days out from the race I was not in a state where I could train. So, no exercise for 5 days.

10 days out, I ran a grueling 6 miles at a like 9:40 pace or something like that.

7 days out, I ran 8 miles. First 6 we're good and held 7:00 miles. The last 2 miles were a struggle at closer to 10:00. A sign of things to come.

5 days out. I did some speed work. 6 x 400 with 2 min RBI. I hit all my splits and was feeling good.

3 days out, easy 3 miles.

I did swim a bit over those 15 days. Maybe a total of 10,000 yards. No biking.

Race day I felt good. No fatigue.

I think I just lacked the muscular endurance from being stuck in bed for those 5 days. I probably lost some fitness too, but the lack of fatigue in my muscles allowed me to power through the first half of the race.
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Dec 30, 16 6:38
Quote Reply